SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 New owner, intro and build thread.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-15, 02:57 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Glad to hear that all your work is paying off! No vibrations and tight steering, sounds nice.
Old 01-16-15, 04:48 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
Glad to hear that all your work is paying off! No vibrations and tight steering, sounds nice.
Thanks Harold!

I'm hearing a slight clunk when I turn the car on now, I suspect engine mounts. Had that on my to do list but I'm not comfortable in doing that myself so I'm going to have to schedule time to get that done. Hopefully next week, going to try to tackle my timing belt water pump etc this weekend.
Old 01-16-15, 08:44 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

I would think that after all you've accomplished on the car that motor mounts would be a cake walk for you.

Do you only hear the clunk when you start the engine?
Old 01-16-15, 11:32 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

I would think that after all you've accomplished on the car that motor mounts would be a cake walk for you.

For the most part, I hear a slight clunk when the car is started but haven't really noticed it otherwise. It could also be that I'm not paying attention because in the back of my mind I am thinking I'm going to replace that anyway so not too bothered, but I do need to pay attention if it's something else.
I've never replaced motor mounts before honestly, I had a friend do the motor mounts on my old GS300, it did look fairly easy with there being more room etc. This motor however I've read that the motor might have to be lifted a little or the sub frame be dropped enough to get the motor mount out.
Your vote of confidence in my work has boosted my ego, lol. When I do my maintenance I'll double check on how to go about it. If I feel comfortable with it I'll attempt it. The transmission mount is easy though.
Old 01-16-15, 05:06 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

IIRC, someone on this forum has replaced them in the past and at least posted about it. I don't remember whether they did a step by step instruction set though.
Old 01-16-15, 10:39 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

IIRC, someone on this forum has replaced them in the past and at least posted about it. I don't remember whether they did a step by step instruction set though.
I'll try searching again maybe I missed it... so I was trying to pay better attention to the clunking noise and I hear it faintly when going over humps on the highway. So have heard it only on startup and when going over humps. Going to change the mounts next week some time and see how that helps.
Did a seafoam flush for the motor today 1/2 can seafoam through the vacuum line into the intake manifold, had already put in half can into the crank case yesterday. Going to drain oil tomorrow and hopefully I don't see gunk build up on the head when I do the valve cover gasket tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
Old 01-17-15, 09:33 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Though it doesn't sound likely in your case, the brakes can make a very metallic clunk noise. It is the result of the pads not sliding easily enough in their paths. There were several resolutions to that in the past (replacing the pad springs, beefing up the pads, greasing the pathways with proper grease, etc.). However I suspect that the clunk that you are experiencing is not the same, though it is a possibility.
Old 01-19-15, 08:06 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Though it doesn't sound likely in your case, the brakes can make a very metallic clunk noise. It is the result of the pads not sliding easily enough in their paths. There were several resolutions to that in the past (replacing the pad springs, beefing up the pads, greasing the pathways with proper grease, etc.). However I suspect that the clunk that you are experiencing is not the same, though it is a possibility.
but would it clunk on startup? I'll have to double check the brakes too but I'm going to do the LS400 caliper upgrade so if it is a braking issue that will fix it.
Old 01-19-15, 10:18 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Default Engine Maintenance

So this weekend I tackled the engine maintenance started on Saturday and finished up on Sunday, you'll see why.

Here is my parts list for the engine maintenance:

Toyota (90916-02586) Multi Rib Belt
Toyota (13540-50030) Timing Belt Tensioner
Toyota (13505-0F010) Timing Belt Idler
Toyota (13503-0F010) Timing Belt Idler
Toyota (13568-09070) Timing Belt
Toyota (16100-59275-83) Water Pump w/Housing
Toyota thermostat (90916-03100)
Toyota thermostat gasket (16346-50010)
Toyota Oring thermostat housing
OEM Front Main Seal (90311-A0001)
OEM Camshaft Seal (90311-A0004) (x2)
Toyota Long Life Antifreeze Coolant (002721LLAC01) x 2
Toyota Valve Cover gaskets (11213-50031 & 11214-50011)
Toyota Spark Plug Gasket (11193-70010) x 8
Toyota Throttle Body Gasket (22271-500042)
NGK Plugs IFR6T11
K&N Air Filter (33-2220)

Everybody here should check their valve cover bolts, there are many instances that I've read on where the bolts were loose. Well that was definitely my case! Cleaning the engine bay helped verify that my oil leak was from the valve cover gasket.

This motor is really well laid out and taking everything apart is pretty systematic and went fairly quickly. It took me about two hours to get everything apart including getting the valve cover and cam covers off. Wow were the plastics brittle! I cracked two connectors near the throttle body, everything still plugs in but I'll probably swap those out soon. Also I bagged all the bolts in zip lock bags and labeled them, makes assembly easier.

There wasn't as much gunk build up as I had expected, pretty sure the seafoam helped. The little traces of gunk on the head and cams I took a nylon brush and some seafoam spray to and that cleared it out easily. The valve covers on the other hand was pretty bad.

Took some purple power to it and some steel brushes and a pressure washed it. Did this a couple of times to break down more and more of the gunk till I got most of it off.

The spark plug grommets were really brittle. There were two spark plugs with a little bit of oil on it so definitely needed to be changed. Wish they came out with a better design, this was not very easy to get off. I used a flat nosed plier to bend the tabs back.

Used a flat head screw driver to wedge between the grommet and the metal seat. Hammered it in to wedge the screw driver to bend the grommet and pop it out.

The grommets came apart in multiple pieces, very brittle with age. Cleaned up all the debris, I used a little bit of oil to lubricate the seals and the seat and used a socket to hammer in the grommet.

Also used a socket to press the tabs back in.

All done!

While the valve covers and the cam covers were out I prepped them, taped them up and had them ready for paint. Had a couple of parts ready for paint so the plan was to get everything painted on Saturday and give it time to cure and install everything back on Sunday. Shout out to my boy Jeremy for painting all my parts.

While the parts were in the booth, I went ahead with the rest of the maintenance items. Cleaning these parts take the longest time. Pulled the throttle body out and there was a lot of carbon build up but got it pretty clean. Slapped a new throttle body gasket on there and installed it back.

Changed water pump next and cleaned up the block some. All the bolts that came off were de-greased and every bolt got a little blue loctite before going back in. With everything cleaned and ready to be installed, called it a night.

On Sunday I had asked a friend of mine who is one of the best techs I know with help with the cam seals. I was not comfortable doing it myself. Well he showed up and replaced them including the front main seal.Thanks a lot Danny!

I continued with installing the timing belt verified all the timing marks were right, buttoned everything back up. Notice all the pulleys? They were all cleaned and a fresh coat of black paint was used to freshen them up.

Also painted some of the bolts.

The radiator was pretty dirty on the outside, aired out all the dust through the fins etc and rinsed it out. Installed the radiator, filled it with distilled water and also poured in a radiator flush. My plan is to drive it around for a couple of days and then rinse it out and install a new thermostat with Toyota coolant. Also filled the engine with Mobile 1 synthetic blend, going to drive with it for a couple of days as well just to get all the sea foam out and replace it with Amsoil. Also installed the K&N air filter as well along with new plugs, had already cleaned out the MAF with some MAF cleaner.

Everything went pretty smooth, going to keep an eye out for any leaks etc over the next couple of days just to be on the safe side. So far so good, I'm quite happy this is all taken care of.

Last edited by kuWuPt; 01-20-15 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-20-15, 09:03 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the nice pics of the plug grommets. I've got a little oil in a few of my plug wells and was thinking that it was time to replace them (and the valve cover gaskets). With your pics I have a clear idea of those tabs that others were discussing. Well done!!

Maybe time for some Absolute Red valve covers too!
Old 01-20-15, 11:03 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Very nice job kuWuPt!

Originally Posted by kuWuPt
but would it clunk on startup? I'll have to double check the brakes too but I'm going to do the LS400 caliper upgrade so if it is a braking issue that will fix it.
Yes, any jarring or vibration event could cause the brake clunk to occur if the problem exists. Mine used to clunk with just me sitting down into the driver's seat and I only weight 120 lbs! All they have to do is get a little stuck and then have some shock or vibration occur to jar them loose and "clunk".
Old 01-20-15, 09:33 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Originally Posted by mademedoit
Wow nice job, dig the purple. Cool to see all the pics of the inside of the engine. I'm gona need to change my timing belt too, I got 91k on a 2002 and I'm pretty sure its never been done.
Timing belt is recommended to be changed at 90k, I would do the water pump as well when you are doing it.

Originally Posted by kjcole
Thanks for the nice pics of the plug grommets. I've got a little oil in a few of my plug wells and was thinking that it was time to replace them (and the valve cover gaskets). With your pics I have a clear idea of those tabs that others were discussing. Well done!!

Maybe time for some Absolute Red valve covers too!
Not a problem, didn't see any pics of the spark plug grommets being changed so thought I could help with that. Everything else is really well documented here.

Very nice job kuWuPt!

Yes, any jarring or vibration event could cause the brake clunk to occur if the problem exists. Mine used to clunk with just me sitting down into the driver's seat and I only weight 120 lbs! All they have to do is get a little stuck and then have some shock or vibration occur to jar them loose and "clunk".
Thanks Harold. I'm pretty sure I'm having the brake clunk too.. baahhh!! Hopefully I'll be able to change my brakes out soon and my current set will last me till then.
Old 01-21-15, 03:53 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kuWuPt
Thanks Harold. I'm pretty sure I'm having the brake clunk too.. baahhh!! Hopefully I'll be able to change my brakes out soon and my current set will last me till then.
Fortunately, the "brake clunk" is only embarrassing and annoying. As far as I can tell and am aware of, it doesn't cause any problems nor is it an indication of a upcoming problem.
Old 01-21-15, 07:14 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Your progress looks great so far! Keep up the good work! I was wondering when you put the 2 halves of the LS400 calipers back together what did you torque the bolts down to? I have been searching but I can't find the torque specs. Also did you reuse the seals and the o-rings that go on between the two halves?
Old 01-21-15, 09:32 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Fortunately, the "brake clunk" is only embarrassing and annoying. As far as I can tell and am aware of, it doesn't cause any problems nor is it an indication of a upcoming problem.
Good to know.. you're right, it is embarrassing!

Originally Posted by TRACKMKIII
Your progress looks great so far! Keep up the good work! I was wondering when you put the 2 halves of the LS400 calipers back together what did you torque the bolts down to? I have been searching but I can't find the torque specs. Also did you reuse the seals and the o-rings that go on between the two halves?
Good and tight.. I used a little blue loctite and got it 'goodandtight'. I used a 1/2" impact, so don't think it's getting tighter. Didn't find any torque specs myself. Did not reuse the o-rings had new ones, oiled those up and installed it. Hopefully I wont have any leaking issues. I did talk to a couple of people who have rebuilt calipers and they said the same thing 'goodandtight' they haven't had any issues so I'm hoping for the same.

Quick Reply: SC430 New owner, intro and build thread.