SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Brake Job Completed

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-14, 07:46 PM
Caseoane
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Job Completed

I just bought the car, but with 112k miles and very little recent use, the brakes didn't feel good at all. Since I have all winter to work on it, one of the first things I've done is a full brake replacement: rotors, pads and fluid.

I went the Tire Rack route: Centric Plain 120 Series Rotors and Akebono pro-act ceramic pads.

I'm not looking to win any races, just get better, smoother and more consistent braking. I'll report back to this forum in March or April... :-)

Old 12-22-14, 08:35 PM
hcstraub
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great....
Old 12-23-14, 03:11 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

You could paint your calipers while you have it broken down also. (There are a couple of threads on that on the forum.)
Old 12-23-14, 04:49 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Good choice!
Old 12-23-14, 07:31 PM
Caseoane
Driver

Originally Posted by Harold57
You could paint your calipers while you have it broken down also. (There are a couple of threads on that on the forum.)
Yup, you are right, that would have been nice... maybe next time.

In any case, I first need to figure out what to do with the wheels. The 18" wheels with high profile Michelins the car came with simply doesn't do it for me...
Old 01-16-15, 11:15 AM
Caseoane
Driver

I backed into my garage door with my daily driver the other day, so I've been driving the Lexus while they fix the trunk... which means, I was able to finally test the new brakes (I replaced the front rotors, all pads and the fluid).

BIG difference over what I had - they are much, much more progressive and smooth, the annoying dead spot in the pedal has all but disappeared, they make no noise whatsoever... I wish they had a bit more bite (maybe I should have gone for softer pads?), but they'll do for what I need, at least until the next brake service.

I'm still trying to be gentle when braking to let everything settle, so maybe when I get a bit more aggressive they'll perform differently?
Old 01-16-15, 10:36 PM
SC43052
Driver

Originally Posted by Caseoane
I backed into my garage door with my daily driver the other day, so I've been driving the Lexus while they fix the trunk... which means, I was able to finally test the new brakes (I replaced the front rotors, all pads and the fluid).

BIG difference over what I had - they are much, much more progressive and smooth, the annoying dead spot in the pedal has all but disappeared, they make no noise whatsoever... I wish they had a bit more bite (maybe I should have gone for softer pads?), but they'll do for what I need, at least until the next brake service.

I'm still trying to be gentle when braking to let everything settle, so maybe when I get a bit more aggressive they'll perform differently?
Did you bed the pads?
Old 01-17-15, 06:41 AM
Caseoane
Driver

Originally Posted by SC43052
Did you bed the pads?
I'm on it. Akebono recommends 500 miles of easy driving, so I started with some very gentle city driving for a few miles, then started highway commuting braking very softly and for increasingly longer periods of time....we'll see.
Old 01-18-15, 02:12 AM
NAmVet68
Driver

I've run Akebono pads on a couple of my cars in the past (as well as my Harley Truck)....Since they are a ceramic-composite, they take a little "bedding-in" until they perform up to their potential....about 500 miles sounds right. With brand new rotors, they might take just a little longer (the rotors need to bed in as well). Don't worry though, you won't ruin them if you need to make an emergency stop or two before then.

Once they settle in - they are outstanding.....one of the best lesser-known brake-pads on the market. I'm sold on them. The first time you have to hit them hard - you will be a believer.

BTW... they run extremely clean as well...almost zero brake dust.
Old 01-18-15, 06:23 AM
Caseoane
Driver

Originally Posted by NAmVet68
I've run Akebono pads on a couple of my cars in the past (as well as my Harley Truck)....Since they are a ceramic-composite, they take a little "bedding-in" until they perform up to their potential....about 500 miles sounds right. With brand new rotors, they might take just a little longer (the rotors need to bed in as well). Don't worry though, you won't ruin them if you need to make an emergency stop or two before then.

Once they settle in - they are outstanding.....one of the best lesser-known brake-pads on the market. I'm sold on them. The first time you have to hit them hard - you will be a believer.

BTW... they run extremely clean as well...almost zero brake dust.
Thanks NamVet68, I hope you are right... so far I have seen no indications that you are not!

I found this article on TireRack that explains a bit of the science behind the break-in procedure. I thought it was very interesting: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=85