SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

How to disable red markers on the sides of rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-14, 09:38 AM
GrappaLux
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to disable red markers on the sides of rear bumper

Hello, today I had the appointment for the registration of the car but it failed.
I live in Europe but my car was imported from California, MY2007
They didn't approve the red lights on the side of the rear bumper as these are illuminated, as soon I'll disable these it will be fine.
I know I could find the answer reading the documentation but I'm a bit in a rush... any suggestion?
a fuse to remove will be my preference otherwise I'll need to have access to remove the bulbs

thanks, Luca
Old 12-18-14, 05:19 AM
GrappaLux
Driver School Candidate

simple reply: that's not possible. the bulbs need to be manually removed as the fuse #13 on passenger fusebox disables also the tail light
dirty job on winter condition but solvable in 20 minutes
Old 12-18-14, 06:16 AM
Caseoane
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be working on replacing them with LEDs next week. I'll be sure to take some pictures and post them here, along with some instructions...
Old 12-18-14, 06:30 AM
GrappaLux
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Caseoane
I'll be working on replacing them with LEDs next week. I'll be sure to take some pictures and post them here, along with some instructions...
reading various posts on the subject I've noticed that led light on the markers are less efficient than stock halogen bulbs?
what's the pro of such mod? just my curiosity

same applies to the reading lights. mine are quite bright and 'white'. why changing these?

I'm not at all against leds, I'm simply collecting info for the basket of lights I'm going to ask to Santa
Old 12-18-14, 08:49 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by GrappaLux
reading various posts on the subject I've noticed that led light on the markers are less efficient than stock halogen bulbs?

same applies to the reading lights. mine are quite bright and 'white'. why changing these?

I'm not at all against leds, I'm simply collecting info for the basket of lights I'm going to ask to Santa
I completely disagree. I have replaced nearly all my lights with LED's and find the LED's to be more brighter and much more visible, especially in the side markers. LED's also draw less power vs halogens.
Old 12-18-14, 09:17 AM
Caseoane
Driver

Originally Posted by GrappaLux

I think we are talking about two different things: the main headlights are halogens, but everything else (tail lights, side markers, indicators, interior lights....) are simple incandescent lights. LEDs can be MUCH brighter and draw less current than the normal incandescent bulbs at the same size, but I think the difference is less pronounced with the halogens.

So, I'm replacing anything incandescent with LEDs, but keeping the halogens as they are.

(And yes, I know that halogens are technically incandescent, too... but you know what I mean)
Old 12-18-14, 05:53 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Caseoane
I think we are talking about two different things: the main headlights are halogens, but everything else (tail lights, side markers, indicators, interior lights....) are simple incandescent lights. LEDs can be MUCH brighter and draw less current than the normal incandescent bulbs at the same size, but I think the difference is less pronounced with the halogens.

So, I'm replacing anything incandescent with LEDs, but keeping the halogens as they are.

(And yes, I know that halogens are technically incandescent, too... but you know what I mean)
Do you mean HID? The low beams are HID, not halogen and I wouldn't recommend changing them. The High Beam/DRL are a dual filament halogen... one filament for the DRL, and one for the high beam.
Old 12-18-14, 07:20 PM
Caseoane
Driver

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Do you mean HID? The low beams are HID, not halogen and I wouldn't recommend changing them. The High Beam/DRL are a dual filament halogen... one filament for the DRL, and one for the high beam.
Yes, sorry, you are correct - they are HID, of course, and I agree: I wouldn't change them, either...