SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Car will not start. Any help appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-14, 03:46 AM
airmaui
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car will not start. Any help appreciated!

Hello,
I have a 2003 430 with 110K miles.
Car would not start this morning. It cranks so it appears the battery and starter are fine. Battery was changed last winter. I had the timing belt changed at 80k. Its been a great car with very little problems.
Any suggestions or items to check would be appreciated.
Thanks so much!
Old 12-16-14, 04:14 AM
airmaui
Rookie

Default Additional information

I hooked up the code reader but no codes. I do smell unburnt gas which is normal when it doesn't start according to my search. How would you know if the demobilizer is kicking in?
Old 12-16-14, 05:22 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

How do you know your battery is okay? Do you get juice when you put your key in the ignition? What happens when you turn the key? Did you visually inspect your belts? Do you have enough gas? Just the things I would look at...
Old 12-16-14, 05:48 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I would suspect battery. SC430 is notorious for parasitic drain.
Old 12-16-14, 05:52 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

I have went through at least 3 batteries in 6 years. Now I have a voltometer on the battery to keep an eye on the voltage. I am also now using a battery tender to top off the battery...
Old 12-16-14, 06:51 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is almost assuredly your battery. Don't overlook the obvious.
Old 12-16-14, 07:04 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

You can detect if it is the battery that is the culprit. If the inside of the vehicle does not illuminate fully, or any devices do not act properly or slowly, it is the battery. Charging once a year is not adequate. These batteries are more likely to fail in cold temperatures.
Old 12-16-14, 10:43 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The SC430 is the only car I've ever had that would crank but not fire when the battery was on its way out.

So yes, I would load-test that battery. My first choice.
Old 12-16-14, 01:15 PM
airmaui
Rookie

Hey guys, I bought two new keys off of ebay last week. Could that be the problem? I replaced the guts from the old keys and installed on the new keys. But if the keys were not cut properly could that trigger the immobilizer? Thanks again for all of your help!
Old 12-16-14, 01:37 PM
sexusc430
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

If it is the flip key with chrome buttons i had the same problem, the magnet thing is too far, what the lock smith did was cut it out and super glue it closer to front of the key on tge inside and it worked, hope this helps
Old 12-16-14, 02:42 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

If the engine is cranking normally when you turn the key, I don't know how it could be a battery problem.

Look at the red security light which is under the air vent to the left of the steering wheel. Does it stop flashing when you put the key in?
Old 12-17-14, 05:27 AM
landflyer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by airmaui
Hey guys, I bought two new keys off of ebay last week. Could that be the problem? I replaced the guts from the old keys and installed on the new keys. But if the keys were not cut properly could that trigger the immobilizer? Thanks again for all of your help!
I was thinking uncoded key issue before I read this,.Does it start with the old key? If, so, put a new key in the ignition and hold your original key right next to the ignition switch and try starting the car.
Old 12-18-14, 05:09 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

I had the same issue before my key was coded. Maybe this is in fact your problem! I think the dealer has to initialize the key to the engine, and it cannot be done yourself. Do others agree?
Old 12-18-14, 08:40 AM
landflyer
Driver School Candidate

The key must be coded but you do not have to go to a dealership. I'ts not fun or easy but you can do it yourself and it only takes a half a dozen attempts!
If the key ever worked than it's coded (unless you were holding the original close and the car picked up that code)

There are numberous threads laying out how to code a key. The fast method worked for mine.
Old 12-22-14, 07:25 AM
airmaui
Rookie

Good Morning,
I wanted to get back to you and thank you all again for all of your responses!
So what I did was have the battery/alternator checked out and they are both fine.
The way I was able to get it started some time later was to use the old original key. However, the new keys had worked fine for the first week that I had them and they continue to work ever since that one morning.
What I did notice was the new keys are slightly longer than the old keys. Also, because I did not have the key code and my Lexus dealer won't give it to me, I needed to send the seller on ebay a picture of the original key so that they could cut the new keys. I think I will bite the bullet and just order a new key from Lexus. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Car will not start. Any help appreciated!