How to degrease/clean engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-14, 08:17 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default How to degrease/clean engine bay

Hi All';

Have any of you used degreaser and hosed down your engine bay with water??I assume you cover the battery and intake, but what else should I consider?

It seems crazy that we can spray the engine with water, as well as the various electrical components, and the water will not cause damage, but I have seen numerous discussions that spraying water in the engine bay is fine.

I'm afraid I have not found a good thread with suggestions for the sc430. Does anyone have suggestions or recommended threads? What parts should I cover?

Thanks!
Old 12-03-14, 08:29 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Hi All';

Have any of you used degreaser and hosed down your engine bay with water??I assume you cover the battery and intake, but what else should I consider?

It seems crazy that we can spray the engine with water, as well as the various electrical components, and the water will not cause damage, but I have seen numerous discussions that spraying water in the engine bay is fine.

I'm afraid I have not found a good thread with suggestions for the sc430. Does anyone have suggestions or recommended threads? What parts should I cover?

Thanks!
....I wash mine off about once a month at the car wash. I use the engine cleaner solution (car wash), soap & then rinse it off. I usually keep the car running, but have never covered anything in particular.I would be careful not to spray anything down the opening of the air intake,located near the radiator. Also, I usually hold the wand about 1.5-2 ft away from the engine when cleaning.
Old 12-03-14, 08:38 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

That's great! Thanks for the advice! I'm excited to get my engine bay clean.. it is so surprising to me that the electrical connections are not harmed!
Old 12-03-14, 08:54 AM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBrett
That's great! Thanks for the advice! I'm excited to get my engine bay clean.. it is so surprising to me that the electrical connections are not harmed!
Here is general information and not SC430 specific. You can also post a thread on the Automotive Care & Detailing Forum, there you will find some very expert members.

3-EngineCleaning.pdf
Old 12-03-14, 09:55 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not a fan of keeping the engine running - water sucked into the intake manifold (via the normal route or through unknown leaks) could hydro-lock the engine and bend rods/valves. Why take the chance?
Old 12-03-14, 05:20 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Autoplak
Here is general information and not SC430 specific. You can also post a thread on the Automotive Care & Detailing Forum, there you will find some very expert members.

Attachment 348415
Holy cow great info!