SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

My JL Audio Upgrade

Old 11-21-14, 06:53 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default My JL Audio Upgrade

So currently i'm running a hybrid ML and Rockford Fosgate system in my 2002 SC430. I've gathered all the parts needed and am going to upgrade all hardware to JL Audio. Currently I have 8" Rockford Fosgate PPS8-6 (6.5", 8ohm) midbass in the doors, Rockford Fosgate P142 (4", 4ohm) in the rear, and a modified dual voice coil wired in series (16ohm) behind the rear seat in a custom cut out wood box. I want to keep the OEM headunit and it's functionality and the motorized door. My plan is to upgrade to the following:

JL 6w3v3-8 (6.5", 8ohm) in the doors (NOW DISCONTINUED, VERY hard to find)
JL C2-400x (4", 4ohm) in the rear
Scosche 1600watt, 4gauge wiring kit with 500k microF capacitor (KPCA4)
JL 8w3v3-4 (8", 4 ohm)in custom wood box in trunk
JL A1200 (250w) Amp in the trunk to power the trunk 8w3v3-4
JL RBC-1 Remote Bass ****
Modified Dual Voice Coil Sub (16ohm) behind the rear seat in custom wood box.

I've already connected the JL 8" in the trunk and the JL A1200 amp and the bass is insane and clean! I don't want that nasty. "shake the block bass" but clean, crisp deep sound. I get amazing highs from the OEM ML tweeter and mid but the bass coming from the trunk is just amazing! There is minimal vibration from the licence plate, but I will take care of that soon. I will post more as my upgrade continues. Soon, I will also be selling all the Rockford Fosgate speakers if anyone is interested. They sounded great to get me by until I could afford the more expensive JL Audio components. I'll be installing the bass **** too, but not sure where to mount it yet. I've posted pics of the Amp, custom trunk box, and the A1200 installed. Let me know what you think!
Attached Thumbnails My JL Audio Upgrade-img_20141107_121437.jpg   My JL Audio Upgrade-img_20141107_121425_1.jpg   My JL Audio Upgrade-img_20141107_121458.jpg   My JL Audio Upgrade-img_20141107_121415.jpg   My JL Audio Upgrade-img_20141107_121503.jpg  

Last edited by ShawnOk; 11-21-14 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-21-14, 07:46 PM
03LeXsC430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello I'm also trying to upgrade my bass with a single 12 sub can you give me more details in how you tied into you ml amp? For that sub and amp . I'm also trying to do a group buy for mva-12L by beat-sonic module so can upgrade the head unit, if you are interested. Anyway back to the bass, I took out my tool kit and was planing to do a custom fiberglass enclosure with old school Rockford Fosgate 1000.1db amp and memphis 15-cm12d2 single 12" sub with bass **** and 5farad cap. Here are some pics

Old 11-21-14, 07:47 PM
03LeXsC430
Driver School Candidate

I got my idea from the first pic I found online, btw do you have aftermarket radio?

Last edited by 03LeXsC430; 11-21-14 at 07:51 PM. Reason: I made a mistake
Old 11-21-14, 07:54 PM
03LeXsC430
Driver School Candidate

I do see u said you had ml head unit , but with the beat sonic mva-12l dash kit you do keep you motorized door and steering wheel controls. How did you wire up ur amp to factory amp/ head unit?
Old 11-22-14, 08:22 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Both of those installs look great but I wanted to be able to use my trunk space to some point. I don't think putting anything on top of the sub would be good and would result in damage to the speaker which I why i choose to do the box in the corner. As for the headunit; yes I wanted to keep it looking as OEM as possible so I'm not really interested in the Beatsonic nor a new headunit. I've already incorporated Bluetooth and iPod/iPhone integration using a couple of aftermarket products with the VaisTech SL3U. I was under the impression that those that did the Beatsonic upgrade with an aftermarket radio lost the motorized door, but were able to only keep the volume control from steering wheel (lost track advance/rewind). I'm sure someone will correct/confirm this.

As for the wiring. I ran the 12volt power from the battery through the engine firewall and into the cab at the passenger footwell and down the scuff plate to the back seat and through a grommet hole in the rear seat firewall, then into the trunk along the wall to the passenger side "cubby" space. There, I connected the ground wire to a body structure under the "cubby," and then connected and bolted down the capacitor in the "cubby," and then the amp over it, as you can see. I piggybacked a line out converter (PAC LOC Pro7) from the OEM subwoofer behind the rear seat and ran the leads to the amp. I then connected the outputs to the subwoofer by running the wire under the trunk wall under the latching mechanism. So basically I'm running two subwoofers (the OEM and the new trunk sub). Super clean bass. I'm so happy with the results but once I put in the new JL Speakers, I'm sure it will sound just as amazing!

Last edited by ShawnOk; 11-22-14 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-22-14, 09:30 AM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Beatsonic device allowed those that installed the unit to keep the motorized door, plus the added features you stated.
Old 11-22-14, 10:07 AM
03LeXsC430
Driver School Candidate

Hey Shawn thanks for your info on how to integrate amp to ml head unit. So far I'm gonna try that till I get my beat-sonic installed. Check out this video Shawn beat-sonic radio install in sc430
Old 11-22-14, 02:33 PM
editordz
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DarthSid
The Beatsonic device allowed those that installed the unit to keep the motorized door, plus the added features you stated.
Just a quick FYI, I replaced my entire audio system a few months back (sub, speakers, headunit) and my motorized door works just fine.
The following users liked this post:
itgs350 (05-03-21)
Old 11-22-14, 05:21 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
So currently i'm running a hybrid ML and Rockford Fosgate system in my 2002 SC430. I've gathered all the parts needed and am going to upgrade all hardware to JL Audio. Currently I have 8" Rockford Fosgate PPS8-6 (6.5", 8ohm) midbass in the doors, Rockford Fosgate P142 (4", 4ohm) in the rear, and a modified dual voice coil wired in series (16ohm) behind the rear seat in a custom cut out wood box. I want to keep the OEM headunit and it's functionality and the motorized door. My plan is to upgrade to the following:

I've already connected the JL 8" in the trunk and the JL A1200 amp and the bass is insane and clean! I don't want that nasty. "shake the block bass" but clean, crisp deep sound. I get amazing highs from the OEM ML tweeter and mid but the bass coming from the trunk is just amazing! There is minimal vibration from the licence plate, but I will take care of that soon. I will post more as my upgrade continues. Soon, I will also be selling all the Rockford Fosgate speakers if anyone is interested. They sounded great to get me by until I could afford the more expensive JL Audio components. I'll be installing the bass **** too, but not sure where to mount it yet. I've posted pics of the Amp, custom trunk box, and the A1200 installed. Let me know what you think!

...hey Shawn just an idea for your bass **** & where I mounted mine. I ran the bass **** wire/cable from the amp into the passenger compartment, using a gromet opening behind the back seat. Since the backseat was out, it was easy to run the cable under the carpet, all the way to the center console. I punched a small hole into the carpet (inside the console) & brought the cable up inside the console.I mounted the **** on the carpeted area,of the transmission hump, next to the driver's seat. If you're seating in your seat & looking down at console, it's even with the "pwr/ect/snow button". The **** is easy to adjust from this position, if want to control the bass level.I originally had the **** inside the console, but if you're driving, it makes it more of a task to adjust. If i don't forget, I'll take a pic tomorrow & post it for you
Old 06-01-18, 01:01 PM
Hwdrook
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk

Hey Shawn,,, where'd you get the box that fits in the back corner of your trunk???
Old 06-03-18, 04:52 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Hwdrook
Hey Shawn,,, where'd you get the box that fits in the back corner of your trunk???
.....if I remember correctly, he had it made to the specs of the sub he used. If he doesn't answer in a day or so, let me know & I'll call/text him to get more info
Old 06-03-18, 10:19 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Sorry been busy. New job. I had a custom box made at an audio shop. The tech made some basic measurements and just did some test fitting and had it done in about 30min using MDF board then carpeted the exterior. Cant recall how much I paid but the sub I chose was a JL audio 8" bc he said that would work best in that space and with out being ported using my A1200 JL amp.
Old 05-01-21, 10:51 AM
jmjsc430
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is an old quote but I like your designed and your choices speakers and amps. I'd like to put the JL 8 inch in my trunk in the same configuration utilizing the cubby hole on the side. Can you tell me the dimensions of the box you made? Did you remove the bottom carpeted section of the cubby hole or did you build on top of it?
Old 07-12-21, 06:35 PM
MattInLex
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm about to do a complete audio replacement in my 2002 SC430. The original ML amp died last week and instead of getting it repaired for $475, I've decided it is time to get a modern head unit and put in a new amp to match.

Here's my question: I'm trying to figure out where people punch through the firewall for the amp wiring. I've not pulled the battery yet, but it looks like there might be a hole with wiring already there. I'm expecting to pull from the battery, through the passenger side and up under the scuff plate back to the back of the car. Has anyone done this and have any pictures to share?

@ShawnOk Sounds like you did this path. Did you use an existing hole/grommet, or did you drill your own? Was it hard to fish the wire down from behind the glovebox?

Thanks
Old 07-13-21, 12:15 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by MattInLex
I'm about to do a complete audio replacement in my 2002 SC430. The original ML amp died last week and instead of getting it repaired for $475, I've decided it is time to get a modern head unit and put in a new amp to match.

Here's my question: I'm trying to figure out where people punch through the firewall for the amp wiring. I've not pulled the battery yet, but it looks like there might be a hole with wiring already there. I'm expecting to pull from the battery, through the passenger side and up under the scuff plate back to the back of the car. Has anyone done this and have any pictures to share?

@ShawnOk Sounds like you did this path. Did you use an existing hole/grommet, or did you drill your own? Was it hard to fish the wire down from behind the glovebox?

Thanks
The amp is in the back not the front. You can route the harnesses to the front by remove the rear seats. There are videos and threads that cover the installation. Just search for them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My JL Audio Upgrade