SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Push button start

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-14, 08:50 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Push button start

Can a push button start be done on the 430sc setup?

Last edited by bacardi11; 08-24-14 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-24-14, 10:09 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I can't imagine how the steering lock would work if you added push button start.
Old 08-26-14, 01:41 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using the Luxlink remote start a LOT this Summer. Guess you are just talking about the round dash mounted push button though...
Old 08-26-14, 03:33 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

From what I've read, the aftermarket push button starts still require the driver to put the key into the ignition and turn it to the "on" position. Somewhat decreases the appeal of push button start when compared to the new push button start in which the key just needs to be in the vicinity of the ignition (even a pants' pocket). All it does in the case of the SC430, is to remove the "key turn and hold", and could possibly lead to miscranking (I believe). Doesn't really seem worth it to me when compared to the possible ignition damage.
Old 08-28-14, 08:27 AM
Regent6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, bacardi11

I am heading that route. I am thinking of removing/cutting/trimming the joining part where steering column & ignition meets. Still doing research whether the steering lock is an electric actuator or an actual mechanical part. So far I have seems many angled pictures on eBay of the steering column, but have yet to personally gone under my SC's.

For the wiring...(home made--lol) after an AUTO START from the car alarm system, provide a constant +12 volts (with a fuse) to the ACCESSORY+IGN 1+IGN 2 with ONE on/off switch. I tried it and no fuse or alarm got shorted. I also drove the SC but got the steering locked up LOL.

Just my input, please do it your way--actual START button from the internet or home made. Bare in mind that my alarm is an Avital 5303L.

Good luck and let me know if you have done it before me.

Last edited by Regent6; 09-01-14 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-28-14, 05:41 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 103 Posts

I believe it is do-able. I have not tried it and have no association with the company linked to below. I felt there were too many security issues. If you read through the install guide, on Page 11 shows my major concern with this system.

http://www.advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK104B.html
Old 08-28-14, 10:47 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The only purpose for push button start is keyless go which without makes no sense. Further more, even if you managed some sort of keyless go without having to take your key out of your pocket, it would still be useless if you had to fetch your key from your pocket to unlock the door. All my cars have keyless go and my key never leaves my pocket. All except my SC430 which I almost didn't buy because it was lacking this feature. It must have been the only $65K+ in 2010 not to have this feature. Shame on you Lexus...yet you stick it on a $20K 2004 Prius. I nearly bought a G37 convertible because of that alone.
Old 08-29-14, 05:55 AM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sorka
The only purpose for push button start is keyless go which without makes no sense. Further more, even if you managed some sort of keyless go without having to take your key out of your pocket, it would still be useless if you had to fetch your key from your pocket to unlock the door. All my cars have keyless go and my key never leaves my pocket. All except my SC430 which I almost didn't buy because it was lacking this feature. It must have been the only $65K+ in 2010 not to have this feature. Shame on you Lexus...yet you stick it on a $20K 2004 Prius. I nearly bought a G37 convertible because of that alone.
Keep in mind that the 2010 SC430 uses technology created in 2000 - 2001.
Old 08-29-14, 03:26 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by StillLine
Keep in mind that the 2010 SC430 uses technology created in 2000 - 2001.
There are plenty of cars updated mid model with newer more advanced electronics and features.
Old 08-31-14, 09:56 PM
Regent6
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bacardi11
Can a push button start be done on the 430sc setup?
It's me again...I did it.
No worries on the LOCKED steering. I dropped the top down and drove to fill up gas...with NO key in the ignition.

Basically I drilled a hole and put a screw in the hole to prevent the LOCK mechanism from entering the steering column.
Just move the steering wheel all the way out...no removal of any part. Not so safe from theft, but that's me.

My work as followed:

1. Insert and Turn key to two clicks and steering is not locked (third one would be starting the car)
...this will be the NON LOCKING position on the steering column.
2. Drill a small hole the size of that red line on the picture (work the drill up/down to let shaving fall)
3. Keep working it to 3/4" deep (there is no good reason to drill a see-through hole; your choice)
4. Work the key ~10x from two clicks to off...leave the key at two clicks (letting more shavings fall down)
5. I used a 2" long wood screw and tighten the hole up...locking the mechanism inside
6. I tried to turn the key to OFF, but it did not let me. I unplugged the battery key out.

Electrical part.
I used one switch to provide constant +12 volt to the ACCESSORIES + IGN 1 + IGN 2.
Switch ON to provide the +12 volt to all three wires.
Switch OFF to kill the engine at my destination.

Logic behind it is simple.
Auto Start using the alarm system.
Switch ON to provide power to the ACCESSORIES, IGN 1, and IGN 2...same as inserting the key and turns it two clicks...and the car keeps on running.
(If you did not hook the alarm's brake wire into the brake switch...it would still run and will NOT turned off after the timer is up)

Please keep in mine that this is what I have done. You don't have to do it
Attached Thumbnails Push button start-image.jpg  

Last edited by Regent6; 08-31-14 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Add no removal part note
Old 08-31-14, 10:05 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Interesting for sure. However, if I were still in the market for an SC430, I would have to pass on with such a mod. If you don't ever intend to resell then it might not be an issue for you.

Also, make sure your car isn't going to suddenly die on you because the transponder is too far from the immobilizer.

Originally Posted by Regent6
It's me again...I did it.
No worries on the LOCKED steering. I dropped the top down and drove to fill up gas...with NO key in the ignition.

Basically I drilled a hole and put a screw in the hole to prevent the LOCK mechanism from entering the steering column.
Just move the steering wheel all the way out...no removal of any part.

My work as followed:

1. Insert and Turn key to two clicks and steering is not locked (third one would be starting the car)
...this will be the NON LOCKING position on the steering column.
2. Drill a small hole the size of that red line on the picture (work the drill up/down to let shaving fall)
3. Keep working it to 3/4" deep (there is no good reason to drill a see-through hole; your choice)
4. Work the key from two clicks to off...leave the key at two clicks (letting more shavings fall down)
5. I used a 2" long wood screw and to tighten the hole up...locking the mechanism inside
6. I tried to turn the key to OFF, but it did not let me. I unplugged the battery key out.

Electrical part.
I used one switch to provide constant +12 volt to the ACCESSORIES + IGN 1 + IGN 2.
Switch ON to provide the +12 volt to all three wires.
Switch OFF to kill the engine at my destination.

Logic behind it is simple.
Auto Start using the alarm system.
Switch ON to provide power to the ACCESSORIES, IGN 1, and IGN 2...same as inserting the key and turns it two clicks...and the car keeps on running.
(If you did not hook the alarm's brake wire into the brake switch...it would still run and will NOT turned off after the timer is up)

Please keep in mine that this is what I have done. You don't have to do it
Old 09-01-14, 06:51 AM
Regent6
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sorka
Interesting for sure. However, if I were still in the market for an SC430, I would have to pass on with such a mod. If you don't ever intend to resell then it might not be an issue for you.

Also, make sure your car isn't going to suddenly die on you because the transponder is too far from the immobilizer.
Re-sale...just undo the screw and the three wires. Now, the lock mechanism moves back and forth and no ACC/IGN bypass.
If engine cut off unexpectedly (hopefully not during a bad day ), just undo the screw and use the key.

Last edited by Regent6; 09-01-14 at 06:56 AM.