SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Puddle Light Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-14, 02:27 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Puddle Light Install

Wondering whos done a puddle lught install on their SC430 to find out they tapped into or know where the dome light circuit (+/-) is and what the best way to go about it is. Im not the greatest when it comes to LEDs but I am more than capable to do a good job at it. Just need to find out exactlt what wires need to be tapped to, to have these on and off once I Unlock/Lock the car and also while hard parked, wether the dome light is on or off. Thanks in advance for anyone with insight on this for the SC... theres a million threads online for different cars and they all tap into their specific circuit and not a fuse. Would like to know whos done it to their SC430
Old 08-17-14, 07:32 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...this is one of the mods I haven' t made it to yet. But in an earlier thread, I think most of the guys were tapping into the Lexus doorsill light. This way they came on when you hit the remote to lock/unlock & when the door would open....basically anytime the interior lights were on. I was thinking about going the same route, but wanted to be able to turn them on at night also (possibly if I was at a show or meet)...so I may need to add a switch
Old 08-17-14, 07:35 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...this is one of the mods I haven' t made it to yet. But in an earlier thread, I think most of the guys were tapping into the Lexus doorsill light. This way they came on when you hit the remote to lock/unlock & when the door would open....basically anytime the interior lights were on. I was thinking about going the same route, but wanted to be able to turn them on at night also (possibly if I was at a show or meet)...so I may need to add a switch
Yes that is EXACTLY what I am talking about on and off when unlocking the car but also being able to turn and keep on during shows.
Old 08-17-14, 07:50 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Not sure how in depth you want to go with the puddle lights, but here are some ideas.... I tapped into the door scuff plate. Be sure to use a voltmeter to isolate which wire is + though, I seem to remember that they are wired with reverse polarity. Since they are tapped to the scuff plate they also fade on and off with the key fob or when the door is opened. Pretty lucky turn of events.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...n-signals.html
http://www.windfireauto.com/product/d006/
Old 08-17-14, 08:14 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Not sure how in depth you want to go with the puddle lights, but here are some ideas.... I tapped into the door scuff plate. Be sure to use a voltmeter to isolate which wire is + though, I seem to remember that they are wired with reverse polarity. Since they are tapped to the scuff plate they also fade on and off with the key fob or when the door is opened. Pretty lucky turn of events.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...n-signals.html
http://www.windfireauto.com/product/d006/
Now can you turn them on and keep them on while say youre not in the car or unlocking it? Because id rather have it hooked up to aconstant and control via switch, but Im looking to see if theres any way ro have them on during shows and also be able to have them turn on/dim off as door sils/map lights do?
Old 08-17-14, 08:39 PM
texsexlex
Racer

...I may be wrong, but I think we will have to wire them to do one function or the other. If wired through the doorsill light, I know we won't be able to use them constantly for shows,unless you use the interior fade switch.But if you wired this way, then the interior lights would be on also (if it was for show). I'm probably going to wire them directly & add a switch, but they won't be functional with the lock/unlock feature of the car
Old 08-17-14, 08:44 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...I may be wrong, but I think we will have to wire them to do one function or the other. If wired through the door sill light, I know we won't be able to use them constantly for shows,unless you use the interior fade switch.But if you wired this way, then the interior lights would be on also (if it was for show). I'm probably going to wire them directly & add a switch, but they won't be functional with the lock/unlock feature of the car
Yea thats what I was thinking.. unless they get tappedbinto the dome light circuit and when dome light is also on so would be the puddle lights and you can run a switch somewhere there in between to manually control them. Either way MAP lights will be on but I think will be the only way to have both features for the puddles... any one correct me if Im wrong
Old 08-17-14, 09:01 PM
texsexlex
Racer

...if anyone can figure this one out, it may be ShawnOk...he's done wonders figuring out many ways to wire new mods he's added to his car.There's an old mod that was done awhile back, that I could use his help with, whenever i get around to it...(hint,hint)...lol
Old 08-18-14, 10:15 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

As for the question at hand, how to wire to allow the dimming of the on/off key fob toggle and then a constant on option. You could add a toggle switch to let you choose which option you'd want active at specific times. You'd use the common ground from the scuff plate, and then either run a constant power to one terminal and then the scuff plate power to the other terminal. This way you can leave it on normal scuff plate for everyday driving and then just toggle the switch for shows. Just a thought though, that would be my first instinct. Not sure where you'd want to place the toggle switch though. I hate disturbing the aesthetic look of the interior. Or you could just wire it as I did and leave a door open. then the puddle light would illuminate anyway.

Tex, which question did you have? I think I might have missed it.
Old 08-18-14, 10:33 AM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

As for the question at hand, how to wire to allow the dimming of the on/off key fob toggle and then a constant on option. You could add a toggle switch to let you choose which option you'd want active at specific times. You'd use the common ground from the scuff plate, and then either run a constant power to one terminal and then the scuff plate power to the other terminal. This way you can leave it on normal scuff plate for everyday driving and then just toggle the switch for shows. Just a thought though, that would be my first instinct. Not sure where you'd want to place the toggle switch though. I hate disturbing the aesthetic look of the interior. Or you could just wire it as I did and leave a door open. then the puddle light would illuminate anyway.

Ok so 2 positive leads into the puddle lights, makes sense, one from door sills and also one from the constant. I made a custom woodgrain switch panel in that little door compartment behind the center console. Now wiring it to the door sills and you say leaving the doors open I wonder if you can have it open enough where the sensor would know its open and have them on, but still look like theyre shut from the outside
Old 08-18-14, 10:39 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Or you could do this... wire it as I did and just remove the metal magnetic door plate that touches the sensor on the door jamb. This would continually keep all your dome and puddle lights illuminated even if the door is closed..
Old 08-18-14, 11:08 AM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Or you could do this... wire it as I did and just remove the metal magnetic door plate that touches the sensor on the door jamb. This would continually keep all your dome and puddle lights illuminated even if the door is closed..
That's exactly what I thought of doing, removing whatever makes contact with the door, now the trick to make whatever it touches easily removable. I have taken a look at my door jamb to see what that is yet.
Old 08-18-14, 12:45 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

It's a simple metal plate on the actual door side... fastened with a phillips head screw.
Old 08-18-14, 06:08 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Ahhh now I remember from taking the panels off during the speaker fix. Yea true I guess thats the way to keep it on druing show with doors closed, by taking on/off the door plate, unless you make a switch for the door sensor?? If you want itswitched and not goimg through the hassle of removing the door plate on and off.
Old 08-18-14, 10:23 PM
texsexlex
Racer

...way to go Shawn ..I knew he could make a great suggestion. I may buy my puddle lights soon & move this mod up to the front...lol...I didn't or hadn't asked a question yet, but will send you a pm about an old mod that i would like to try & might need your expertise to walk me through it or I could always come to Ok, whenever you get home...lol

Quick Reply: Puddle Light Install