SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

xm radio installation??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-03, 06:44 PM
DeniskaGS4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xm radio installation??

Can somone point out how to remove the dash board? Also when installing the display unit in the ash tray, did you have to cut anything? Thanks for your help I know a few guys have done this on the forum.
Old 02-25-03, 03:38 PM
Robbo
Rookie

Can't help you on the dashboard-- I had my Alpine unit installed by an installer. To install, they removed the ash tray and then had to cut the plastic lip on the left side that would hold the ashtray to get a flush installation.

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...t=1&thecat=998
Old 02-25-03, 05:28 PM
DeniskaGS4
Pole Position

Originally posted by Robbo
Can't help you on the dashboard-- I had my Alpine unit installed by an installer. To install, they removed the ash tray and then had to cut the plastic lip on the left side that would hold the ashtray to get a flush installation.

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...t=1&thecat=998
thanks for your help.. this is exactly how I want to install the display unit.. if anyone knows how to remove the dash safely please let me know I dont want to break anything.. I've done pleanty of insalls in my gs but the sc is confusing
Old 02-26-03, 09:11 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default well...

I won't be attempting this install until later this year so I'll be curious to hear from someone else OR my I'll have to report back here later (in a few months) what I found....
Old 02-26-03, 09:36 AM
GS4DOUGIE
Lead Lap

Default XM Cost

Den-

I am interested in this XM radio bc of poor reception in my GS. How much does this cost?? Hardware, installation, subscription etc. Just wondering, thanks for sharing-

D
Old 02-26-03, 11:03 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default well...

I can tell you that I already have Sirius Satellite Radio in my winter car and the pricing breakdown was as follows:

Terk Antenna = $90
FM Modulator = $80
Sirius Box = free (promo until March 31, 2003)

Start up cost with Sirius was $15, $12.99 per month. You can get serval free months depending on the pre pay plan you select. I opted to just get charged month-to-month so I didn't get any free time.

As I understand it, XM costs $9.99 per month but I don't know the cost for starting up service (If there is one) or their equipment costs.
Old 02-26-03, 03:17 PM
Robbo
Rookie

Crutchfield sells the Alpine System (Tuner, FM Mod, Remote display for $300) and the Pioneer System for $200. The antenna is an additional $40-$50. You can probably do better at CC or BB. If you want to replace the head-end in your GS you have a bunch of additional options from Sony, Pioneer and Alpine ( http://www.crutchfield.com/S-T90TFW8...est=&search=xm ) .

If you don't care about a flush install, I highly recommend the Delphi Sky-Fi unit ($129+$70 for the car kit, which includes antenna) . It has a much better user interface and display and works using "docking stations" so you can move it from car to car to home. Delphi also makes a really cool boombox you can drop the SkyFi unit into for XM on the go. I have the Alpine system in my SC430 and the Delphi in my wife's car/boombox in my home office.

www.clubxm.com and www.xmfan.com have a host of info and install pix.
Old 02-27-03, 09:26 AM
kpura
Driver School Candidate

I am assuming that you are talking about removing the wood cover over the shifter and ashtray assembly. This is what I did...
Pics are at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=59743

* Make sure the radio door is open and ashtray cover is closed.

* With the car off, and negative battery terminal removed, set your parking brake, pop off the shift override button cover with a flathead screwdriver, and put the transmission into Neutral.

* Open the center console, and using both your thumbs gently press the heated seats module forward while gently lifting. Once released, unplug the module.

* Gently apply upward pressure to the wooden center panel. There are a handful of clips on either side that the panel sits in. The trick to removing this panel is being mindful of the radio door open/close button. This button protrudes for over an inch behind the panel plus the wiring harness, so once the back portion of the wood assembly is loosened, you have to gently move the top portion of the panel in a perpendicular direction to the dash. Once the wood panel is removed, remove the radio door button from the plastic bracket, and unplug and set aside. Additionally, unplug the cigarette lighter electrical harness.

* When you have removed this center panel, you will notice that the ashtray and cup holder assemblies are attached to the panel with a couple of screws.

* I taped into power by building a small harness that would tap into the existing wiring of the cigarette lighter, which was a switched 12V source. Off this harness I powered my FM modulator as well as my Sony XM unit.

* Wiring of the antenna was very easy. From where I placed the antenna on the moving bonnet cover I ran the wires behind the back seat, tucked them along the side of the back seat, removed the passenger side kick panel (the lighted Lexus one), ran the wires along the door sill, and simply fished them under the passenger foot well carpet.

All in all, the disassembly/assembly was very easy. If you have questions, please let me know.