Navtool NAVRGB+TL10/USB Video to Nav .. few questions. help pls

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-14, 12:39 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Navtool NAVRGB+TL10/USB Video to Nav .. few questions. help pls

Hi all,

Im sure this product has been discussed many times.. but i noticed the older ones required some wire tapping and apparently this new one "NAVRGB+TL10" does not and is completely plug and play.

1) Now what I wana do is be able to plug in a USB/mem stick and have videos play along with music on the screen.. Has anyone done this? and how does the screen switching work from gps to video?

2) I guess i need some sort of media player also. What do you guys recommend? not looking for anything crazy just something that reads USB/hard drive and compatible with main video/audio formats..

3) btw I notice Nav tool only has video inputs... If i was to have a music video playing for example where would the audio be going to? :/

Thank youu
Old 08-03-14, 10:23 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I used NAVIKS, Arion/Eagletech, and ASUS O!Play and am quite happy with my setup. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...on-naviks.html
Old 08-03-14, 01:27 PM
throw
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shawn did an amazing job. Another option instead of piecing different components together, just wait another month or two for the new Pioneer or Alpine headunits that come with Apple Carplay. You just swap out the headunit, which will be completely compatible to your current ML system then connect your iphone and your whole car stereo will be completely voice command, radio, phone, gps, whatever you have on the Iphone is on your screen now. plus you won't lose your steering wheel controls. Also you can connect a rear camera directly to the unit. Heres a thread...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...uestion-2.html
Old 08-03-14, 03:11 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Thank you for your reply guys!

I saw your work Shawn, nicely done! to be honest im not really an electrical person.. I just noticed the navtool is on sale until tomorrow morning so was wondering if I should pull the trigger. I saw the Asus play.. how much do they cost if you dont mind asking? is there any other specifically for cars? i just waned to avoid wire tapping and stuff and whats the arion/eagle tech? is that something i need?

Thanks Throw.. to be honest I wasnt realy looking to do anything crazy or atleast crazy for me to understand lol.. was just considering this as the navtool is on sale..

But my question to you guys is lets say I get this.. assuming it plugs in the main computer in the trunk and no wire tapping.. I wire a media player video to one input .. im confused as to where the audio wire would go from the media? i dont see any audio input on the nav tool either :/ and how does the screen switching work from gps to video? I was thinking Navtool gives some sort of function stock?

ill go over your thread again to try and understand better.

thanks guys!
Old 08-03-14, 08:41 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I read CarPlay is still in development and won't be available until mid2015 for aftermarket solutions. There's another thread with more info... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...he-corner.html

As for my build, Asus O!Play has played every media type I have thrown at it. I had to install the NAVIKS (NavTool) in the trunk, so you should def pull the trigger on that buy ASAP. In any case, you need some type of intergration device. Not sure about NAVTOOL but my NAVIKS has two inputs. One automatically kicks on when i shift into reverse for my rear cam and the other is a constant on, which is why i added a RF switch to toggle the screen when I want to watch media and when I want to see the NAV. The unit did require a little bit of technical wiring, as you will have to splice into the Power, Reverse, and Ground cable on the back of the DVD player in the trunk. NAVIKS gave awesome directions on this process. Really easy to do using t-taps/splice joints. Then I ran the RCA Video cable along the back seat and under the door scuff plate and into the glove box, where I installed the Asus player so i can control it with a remote control by opening the glove box. Nice thing was that the O!Play runs off 12v. I naturally had to run a 12v power to the media player which I jumped off the inner side of the cigarette lighter. The Arion/Eagletech is the rechargeable bluetooth adapter that allows me to connect my Android phone for handsfree talk and wireless MP3 control. It is not necessary for the basic video build. Asus is from Walmart.com and I think i paid like $60. They make a wifi model which would be cool now that I have 4G and can set my phone as a hotspot. Just didn't think that far ahead at the time.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 08-03-14 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-03-14, 11:42 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I read CarPlay is still in development and won't be available until mid2015 for aftermarket solutions. There's another thread with more info... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...he-corner.html

As for my build, Asus O!Play has played every media type I have thrown at it. I had to install the NAVIKS (NavTool) in the trunk, so you should def pull the trigger on that buy ASAP. In any case, you need some type of intergration device. Not sure about NAVTOOL but my NAVIKS has two inputs. One automatically kicks on when i shift into reverse for my rear cam and the other is a constant on, which is why i added a RF switch to toggle the screen when I want to watch media and when I want to see the NAV. The unit did require a little bit of technical wiring, as you will have to splice into the Power, Reverse, and Ground cable on the back of the DVD player in the trunk. NAVIKS gave awesome directions on this process. Really easy to do using t-taps/splice joints. Then I ran the RCA Video cable along the back seat and under the door scuff plate and into the glove box, where I installed the Asus player so i can control it with a remote control by opening the glove box. Nice thing was that the O!Play runs off 12v. I naturally had to run a 12v power to the media player which I jumped off the inner side of the cigarette lighter. The Arion/Eagletech is the rechargeable bluetooth adapter that allows me to connect my Android phone for handsfree talk and wireless MP3 control. It is not necessary for the basic video build. Asus is from Walmart.com and I think i paid like $60. They make a wifi model which would be cool now that I have 4G and can set my phone as a hotspot. Just didn't think that far ahead at the time.

Thank you Shawn, looks like putting reverse cam is easy.. but to do the rest of the stuff ill need an RF adapter apparently for the screen switch and SoundLinQ3 for audio input.. I guess thats the isimple thing you have in your car.. Does that change sound quality at all? im just thinking now if a head unit would be a better idea? as throw suggested. apprently not much work required with that? i dont mind taking everything apart its just that i dont have any time so need a simpler solution plus i think this will be 4 seperate items to buy just to do one thing that i want

Thanks for your help guys.

Last edited by 416tt; 08-03-14 at 11:55 PM.