Curious Roof Opening Guestion

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-14, 07:22 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious Roof Opening Guestion

Everyone:

I have dismantled my trunk completely in order to install rear upgraded lights, as well as to install a new bumper to my kit. I have not put back the interior of the trunk yet. I went to let the top down so I could begin to remove the rear seat to do the mod to the subwoofer that a fellow forum member recommended and provided an instructional. But the top will not come down.

I was able to raise the top and the windows. But when I push the button to lower the top the red light to the switch blinks but nothing happens. My question, do I have to reassemble tyne trunk in order to lower the top. If that is the case how is everyone doing the woofer and amp work with the top lowered.

What I really want to do is lower the top partially so I can remove the rear sear set (top) so I can get to my subwoofer. Or maybe the seat can come out without lowering the top.

I am kind of stuck here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-09-14, 10:14 PM
donaldp
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you correctly re-install the connector in the left side toneau cover holder that detects the cover is in place before allowing the roof to function? Obviously the cover must not be removed from the trunk either.

I have removed all trunk interior parts as well in the past and tested the roof during the process and it never failed.
Interior trim is not required for the roof to function, only the parts I mentioned in the first paragraph.
Old 07-09-14, 10:54 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...just as Donaldp stated above,if you haven't reconnected the cover holder, the top will not move.There is a switch in the cover holder that has to be connected,then you'll be able to move the top...
Old 07-10-14, 03:16 AM
chrisv78
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A couple of other points. The switch protects the top mechanism from damage. IF the switch mechanism is reassembled (except the cover being in place), you can slide the ends of t he cover into the holder so that the switch is closed. This is not a recommended permanent fix or a workaround you want to do as a rule, but it will complete the circuit to open/close the roof til all is put back together properly. Also, if all else fails check the valet switch in the glove box. Probably not the problem in your case since you were working in the trunk, but that will keep the top from moving.
Old 07-10-14, 05:39 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

thanks to everyone f0r chiming in and providing advice. It turns out every one was right, I simply never re-installed the sensor to activate the roof. When I said I gutted the trunk I mean I gutted it not knowing the sensor/cover needed to be in the trunk to activate the roof. Once I hooked the sensor back up I was up and running.

Thanks everyone for helping out on such a knucklehead mistake
Old 07-10-14, 10:38 PM
donaldp
Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by SrWilliams
thanks to everyone f0r chiming in and providing advice. It turns out every one was right, I simply never re-installed the sensor to activate the roof. When I said I gutted the trunk I mean I gutted it not knowing the sensor/cover needed to be in the trunk to activate the roof. Once I hooked the sensor back up I was up and running.

Thanks everyone for helping out on such a knucklehead mistake
It's like I told my 75 year old father when he got his Lexus, "if something doesn't work on the car, it's you doing something wrong"
Old 07-11-14, 08:31 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by donaldp
It's like I told my 75 year old father when he got his Lexus, "if something doesn't work on the car, it's you doing something wrong"
Like my 85 yr old mother. She bought a new Honda with push button start. She had it towed to the dealer 5 times for not starting. It ended up being that she was pushing the START BUTTON without her foot on the brake.

I still get calls from her that the GPS won't work. I did have her memorize how to find the "GO HOME" sequence so at least she can get home if lost.
Old 07-11-14, 06:50 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Originally Posted by FLYCT
Like my 85 yr old mother. She bought a new Honda with push button start. She had it towed to the dealer 5 times for not starting. It ended up being that she was pushing the START BUTTON without her foot on the brake.

I still get calls from her that the GPS won't work. I did have her memorize how to find the "GO HOME" sequence so at least she can get home if lost.
Boy y'all tettin rough on a brother. But I have to admit, I deserve it
Old 07-11-14, 07:10 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

No. My story was not to disparage you. It was just to add on about how elderly can be over their head with technology.

What you missed is normal. Don't feel bad. We've all done worse. The fact that you asked for help here tells a lot about you. I'm glad it was a simple solution for you.

Drive safe "brother".
Old 07-11-14, 10:08 PM
donaldp
Driver

Nope, you missed my point. My point was that these cars are so good that when something isn't working one should retrace their steps to figure out where their error is.

Last edited by donaldp; 07-12-14 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-12-14, 06:20 PM
Born2x
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dismantled the rear deck panels to have them reupholstered. I had the trunk gutted, but kept the top switch assembly hooked up and used a towel & a skinny small c-clamp to keep the button pressed. when removing the deck panels, it requires you to put the top in different positions to get to bolts and nuts. And I'll say, it was even more difficult to put it back together.

Regards,
Dan