SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Drilled & Slotted Rotors- Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-14, 03:47 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Drilled & Slotted Rotors- Suggestions

Hey everyone, so my summer mod will be to upgrade to Drilled & Slotted Rotors. I wondering if anyone has any opinions or suggestions on brands/manufacturers? I want to keep the my braking system as OEM as possible but really like the sporty look of D&S rotors. I'm also trying to save money on this mod of course, but want quality. I was also told that if I'm changing the rotors I should change the brakes at the same time? Is that true since my brakes still have quite a bit of life left? Any help and advice is really appreciated it. Thanks.
Old 05-14-14, 05:55 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

shawn
I use the EBC Sport rotors great rotors and change the pads also. slotted only best

Last edited by bacardi11; 05-14-14 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-14-14, 06:48 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Shawn, I second the recommendation above - slotted only are better than drilled or drilled+slotted. Drilled rotors look cool but they are a little more likely to fail than non drilled rotors if they were not drilled professionally. Also, you only get the benefit of drilled if you are a heavy user of brakes ( like in race applications ) where the cooling properties of drilled rotors may help. Day to day, we probably never get the benefit of drilled rotors even if we install them.

With slotted, you get a slight cutting action on your pads which keeps the pads fresh. I feel like my slotted fronts on my SC ( and slotted fronts on my now sold Acura RL ) gave greater bite than the OEM rotors for day to day use. My front rotors are from Power Slot, my rears are OEM and I use Posi Quiet ceramic pads all round. Generally happy with stopping power for day to day use. It may be just the pad/front rotor combo that I use but when I brake heavily, I get a slight buzzing noise from the rotors in front. I'm OK with the slight noise but some might find it irritating.
Old 05-14-14, 06:53 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Thank you Bacardi, I will look into EBC.Do you mean only get slotted, not drilled?

Also does anyone have any advice on what to look for with rotors? If I go to ebay, there are quite a few for under $200 which fits my budget nicely, but not sure what to look for in terms of "floating, DIH. vented, solid, surface/plating finish, rubber coated shims, ceramic pads (of course), # of vanes," etc. Any advice?
Old 05-14-14, 06:59 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Thanks OBP, ill check Power Slot out also.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 05-14-14 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-14-14, 07:48 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what my rear brakes with after market drilled and slotted rotors looked like before i upgraded to the Brembo BBK. I also painted the hub flat black with high heat paint. I was happy with the look and the performance was average. Now that I have Brembos all around the braking performance surpasses the OEM rotors and calipers. I hope the picture will give you an idea what your rotors may look like.
Attached Thumbnails Drilled & Slotted Rotors- Suggestions-photo.jpg  
Old 05-14-14, 07:56 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Thanks Darth! Looks good. What brand were these?
Old 05-14-14, 08:11 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

If memory serves me, I believe I also purchased them several years ago from EBC. They offer a greater selection today than several years ago.
Old 05-14-14, 09:45 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

shawn
like I said EBC Sport with flat black hubs and ceramic pads.
Old 05-15-14, 02:16 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

StopTech Drilled and Slooted together with Akebono ProAct Ceramic Pads here!
Old 05-15-14, 07:14 AM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
If I go to ebay, there are quite a few for under $200 which fits my budget nicely, but not sure what to look for in terms of "floating, DIH. vented, solid, surface/plating finish, rubber coated shims, ceramic pads (of course), # of vanes," etc. Any advice?
I just looked for OEM compatible size rotors that would fit our SC. EBay is reasonably precise about that. Most decent quality rotors are vented so that was how mine came. Some rotors come with a zinc plated surface. Your choice I suppose but not strictly necessary for everyday use. I think vanes may refer to how the venting is constructed between the two sides of the rotor. Shims usually come with a good set of pads. Been down this road many times before as a regular everyday driver who wanted improved stopping power without paying too much. Think it was worth it.
Old 05-15-14, 11:25 AM
DarthSid
Pole Position

OBP, I agree. The zinc coating is to prevent rust which is a plus.
Old 05-15-14, 12:06 PM
mohrd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shawn, I went with the Power Stop set up on my RX350 and have purchased the same for my SC430. just haven't installed yet. I'm happy with the set up on the RX for 2,000 miles so far. Check out this part # at RockAuto. POWER STOP Part # K1079.
Old 05-15-14, 07:27 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Lucky for you Shawn being in the states you can get good deals without having to pay 200 to 250$ just for shipping lol

check autoanything they have stoptech kits with pads and steel lines.. use the 15%OFF promo code at top of there site.. i know it says only for canada but it should work for you also as I checked using a US address.. order should come out between 430 to 470 depending on if you get drilled or slotted.. great deal.. they go for 700$+ on other websites.

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/20A50664A1.aspx

and stoptechs also centric (same company) have great reviews! goodluck

Last edited by 416tt; 05-15-14 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-15-14, 07:46 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

So after much debate I purchased some from Ebay. I looked at all the suggested brands and those such as Brembo, Willwood, EBC, Power Slot, StopTech, etc were just way out of my price range at this moment. I decided to go with Kinetic Rotors and 8 ceramic pads (actually branded as Power Stop). They can be found on eBay under the store for BrakeMotive. From all my research, they are/were the same company. I made sure that they were an exact fit for my vehicle. I even contacted the company and they were willing to extended the 30 day return period to 60 days, if I wasn't satisfied.

As for the specifics for our cars, the front rotors is vented while the rear rotor is sold. These rotors are cross drilled and slotted, as I prefer the look more to only slotted even though I know from your advice they will have increased pad wear. This will just have to be something that I will have to keep i mind "(ie. avoid excessive braking/riding the brake). I made sure these had the highest quality in comparison to the big name brands, including G3000 casting, silver zinc dichromate finish, chamfered drilled holes, and rounded slots. The pads are premium ceramic compound, have dual layer rubber shims, positive molded, and include the mounting hardware. The set has also been thermally scorched for faster break in.

I paid a total of $195 and have called around for installation estimates. They've ranged from $140-250. Does anyone have a more accurate estimate so I don't get robbed? The other thing that I found was that some of the manufacturers are cryogenically treating their rotors. A specific brand called Frozen, and a few others, do this process. From what I've read cryogenic treatment is more for track applications but some choose to put them on daily drivers. Supposedly crygoenic are less likely to crack and have extended rotor life. Does anyone have any specific info on this topic? Thanks to all in advance. As my install progress I will update this thread with my results and reviews after some time on the road.

To all those that will bust my chops for going cheap, maybe in the near future after some saving I can upgrade to a more reputable company. (which is a common trend in my history) :-)

Last edited by ShawnOk; 05-15-14 at 07:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Drilled & Slotted Rotors- Suggestions