SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

VAIS SLU + Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth = Perfection

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-14, 06:36 PM
Rancher
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default VAIS SLU + Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth = Perfection

I had a VAIS SLU installed with the 2 Aux inputs. Originally, I installed a Parrot 9100 Bluetooth system that was wired into the radio with a harness and into one of the AUX inputs. The Parrot's screen lives where the ashtray used to sit. The other AUX input was wired into the center console with RCA Jacks (the toggle switch, changes the NAV Screen to the RCA Video Input Jack). Recently, the Parrot 9100 bluetooth was cutting out and disconnecting randomly. Also, the USB jack from the Parrot did not put out enough amps to charge my HTC one.

$35 got me a Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Kit that took all of 5 minutes to install. The wire from the big button to the 12V adapter is very thin and can be easily pushed down into the crack between the center console and the driver's side upholstery (I used my Lexus Key to push it into the crack). As you approach the center console it helps to pull on the upholstery side to make the gap a little wider.

My phone is charging off of the 12V adapter just fine and the FF control on the top of the big button interfaces with Pandora seamlessly. There are nice little beeps and bops from the unit to tell you everything is connecting and working, when you turn on the car. People have commented that the voice quality is remarkable better than my old Parrot system.

It just works!

Last edited by Rancher; 05-13-14 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-13-14, 07:27 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I used nearly the same type of device from Eagletech/Arion. The only difference that I can tell is the size, rechargeable battery, and that mine acts as a passthrough. I also upgraded my aux input from the iSimple to VaisTech. Vaistech is awesome! The passthrough option allows me to either play things from my phone or iPod through bluetooth, or to play the audio from my media player which displays on the Nav screen. Mine also allows me to switch tracks wirelessly. It seems like your's will also do this. One of the greatest features of these types of devices, right? Plus the ability to answer calls. I mounted mine in less conspicuous area though and call quality is good with top up. Top down... impossible. Does your's have a rechargeable battery, or does it have to be constantly powered? Here's my write up... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...on-naviks.html

PS.. whats the metal toggle switch control?

Last edited by ShawnOk; 05-13-14 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-13-14, 07:40 PM
Rancher
Rookie

The Parrot had a CR125 battery and it was A P.I.T.A.!!!!

This one comes with a 12V adapter that I plugged into cigarette lighter port in the center console.
The downside is that it must be connected to the 12V adapter with the wire, so a little bit of wire must remain exposed. The plus side is not having to replace batteries!!!

The 12V adapter that powers this unit also has a usb port that charges my phone with 1A @ 5V.
Old 05-13-14, 07:44 PM
Rancher
Rookie

Default Using a Bluetooth Microphone for Google Now Voice Commands

First launch Google Now, scroll to the bottom and hit the menu button (three dots), Settings, Voice, check the 'Bluetooth headset' box. Download a free app called 'Bluetooth Launch' from the Play Store. Launch it and it will load a list of all your apps. Go to the Google Search one, expand it, and choose com.google.android.quicksearchbox.VoiceSearchActivity. When you press and hold the button on the Kinivo BTC450 you'll hear a beep after two seconds or so. Your phone will then prompt for you to choose which app to launch. Select Bluetooth Launch and set it as your default. It should now launch a Google Now search box and start listening. You can execute voice commands from here. After the initial setup it'll just launch the action by default. It works for me even when the screen is off. Just remember to speak loudly and towards your bluetooth adapter because it'll be listening from that as opposed to your phone's microphone. The little circle around the microphone will turn red when it actually hears what you're saying vs grey when it doesn't. I initially had a problem with this messing up media that was playing. This was because I originally didn't check off the 'Bluetooth Headset' box in Google Now's settings. I hope this helps! Keep in mind. Single pressing the button is pause/play. Long-pressing the button will trigger that button command. I've noticed on my Nexus 5 that occasionally the microphone on the Google Search bar on the home screen will become hollow instead of solid white. I know that this is normal during media playback so that it doesn't recognize stuff from songs you're playing. If I have music playing, long-press that button on this adapter, the music will pause, and then Google Search can hear me and function normally. On some rare occasions the microphone icon will stay hollow despite music not playing. I'm not really sure what causes this but restarting the phone fixes it.
Old 05-13-14, 08:55 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Rancher, yea a battery like that would be a headache. Mine is a rechargable. Luckily it has a micoUSB and I can just use my phone's car charger when it gets low, but the only wires coming in and out of it is a 3.5mm headphone cable. A full charge will get me about 8 hours of play. Nice thing is that I can hotswap it to be used with any stereo with aux input (like at my gf's house, a party, or the beach). Glad to see SC430 owners updating the played out tech in our cars!