SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Ready for Double Din Upgrade--Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-14, 07:16 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready for Double Din Upgrade--Question

Well I am ready to pull the plug and go for the 7" double din stereo upgrade. I have read all of the past posts about folks who did the stereo upgrade and it appears that everyone went with the Beatsonic install kit. But appears that some had problem,s with the Beatsonic. My question is this the only option that will allow the double din to fit in our cars. If there is a way I could do without it I would.

Any assistance would be appreciated. If I need to purchase the Beatsonic I will do so. Just let me know

Last edited by SrWilliams; 04-28-14 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-28-14, 08:53 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

SrWilliams, like you I waited a very long time to find an alternative way to replace the OEM head unit without having to replace all the speakers, wiring and amp. It wasn't until I came across a thread that a club member wrote where he used the Beatsonic integration device. I myself installed this device in my 02 coupe and I love it. No problems so far for the last two years and my steering wheel controls still work. I installed the Pioneer AVIC-150BH double din head unit. If you check on Crutchfield it will state this head unit will not fit the SC430. However, I and other members have proved them wrong. The unit will fit without modifications, but it's very tight. Compartment door for radio works great with issues.
Attached Thumbnails Ready for Double Din Upgrade--Question-image.jpg  
Old 04-28-14, 08:54 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I meant to say without any issues for the radio door.
Old 04-29-14, 05:03 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The only disadvantage with the pioneer AVIC 140BH is with the top down, the screen is so washed out it is unreadable. Top up-no problem. Otherwise it's a great unit.
Old 04-29-14, 05:10 AM
Luso
Driver School Candidate

This might answer my question from the other thread - why is there a necessity to get this beatsonic interface in addition to buying your own independent head unit? Is it impossible to have the headunit communicate to the stock speakers without this intermediary? i don't understad, I am new to the car
Old 04-29-14, 05:33 AM
SrWilliams
Driver

Originally Posted by Luso
This might answer my question from the other thread - why is there a necessity to get this beatsonic interface in addition to buying your own independent head unit? Is it impossible to have the headunit communicate to the stock speakers without this intermediary? i don't understad, I am new to the car
Darthsid:

Thanks so much for going out of your way to prove me such a detailed response w/pictures. I too am going with Pioneer.

But Luso focused in one the point of my thread and that is DO I HAVE TO GO THE BEATSONIC ROUTE to change the head unit; I am not interested in using the steering wheel controls. BUt I gleam from the posts that maybe we need to use it to hook up our amp and speakers. DOes Pioneer or someone else make an installation kit that will allow the integration of our audio system with an after market head unit? I got a feeling as I write this that Beatsonic is the only way to bring in an after market head unit
Old 04-29-14, 06:28 AM
Luso
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I would like to know the answer to that as well. And in addition, if the ONLY thing you lose in functionality are the steering wheel controls (in which case I might not car with the right aftermarket head unit, the new apple carplay ones will let you control virtually everything by voice except volume) or if the main purpose of the beatsonic interface is to make sure the speakers communicate with the head unit. basically, is it an absolute necessity have an aftermarket stereo work with the stock speakers?
Old 04-29-14, 06:43 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Beatsonic unit is convenient (though costly) because it provide the adapter harness --I'll agree that maintaining steering wheel functionality is nice, though not essential.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are not installing a navigation head unit, you'll have to figure out how to wire in the head unit to the original harness without disturbing the navigation audio. The Beatsonic takes care of that for you.

From Crutchfield:

"Installation Notes
If you replace the factory radio, the factory navigation feature won't work anymore."
Old 04-29-14, 07:00 AM
Luso
Driver School Candidate

most head units though come with their own nav, so presuming you don't care about the stock NAV screen working anymore, is there any reason why just buying any aftermarket head unit would not be compatible with the stock speakers, and for some reason, REQUIRES this Beatsonic thing?
Old 04-29-14, 08:03 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

If you are using a NAV head unit then the Beatsonic adapter is not essential. Are there adapter wiring harnesses available? or at least pin-out diagrams so you can splice in to the factory harness?

Found this on the interweb. Not sure how accurate it is:

2002 Lexus SC430 Car Radio Stereo Audio Wiring Diagram
Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: White/Red
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Gray
Car Radio Ground Wire: White/Black
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Green
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger: Black/Red
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: Pink/Blue
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: Inside the trunk.
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: N/A
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Green
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Blue/Black
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Blue/Red
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: N/A
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Black
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Red
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): White

Last edited by kjcole; 04-29-14 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-29-14, 08:27 AM
Luso
Driver School Candidate

While I appreciate that info I know nothing about those technical specs. I just want to confirm if I buy any head unit that will physically fit in the dash, can it be made to work with the stock speakers, or does it require this beatsonic thing. Someone here must know this or be familiar having installed a system in their car. Unfortunately best buty techs are useless on the phone
Old 04-29-14, 10:10 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Luso
While I appreciate that info I know nothing about those technical specs. I just want to confirm if I buy any head unit that will physically fit in the dash, can it be made to work with the stock speakers, or does it require this beatsonic thing. Someone here must know this or be familiar having installed a system in their car. Unfortunately best buty techs are useless on the phone
I'm sure it's possible to install a double din radio without the Beatsonic interface kit BUT I personally wouldn't attempt it.

The installer would need to do extensive research, still need to source video cable, fabricate side panels AND hack into the factory harness in multiple places. Then there is the risk that he misses a connection or worse that he splices into the wrong wires. Trouble shooting a failed spliced connection could get nasty.

The Beatsonic kit is pretty much plug and play and in my estimation worth the money.
Old 04-29-14, 10:56 AM
Luso
Driver School Candidate

Ah, so the understanding is, yes it is possible, BUT, without the beatsonic interface you are endeavoring on a substantially more complicated and risky job.

Would most any custom audio shop know what to do with a beatsonic system and a random head unit placed in their hands ? Or is it something only very specific , Lexus-familiar techs would know?
Old 04-29-14, 11:57 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

The beatsonic and head unit come with clear instructions - made for owner installs.

If you are planning on a shop doing this then it may be more cost-effective to go the Beatsonic route (instead of paying for the labor of them figuring out the wiring and splicing into the factory harness)....unless you get a shop that's done it before and quotes you a decent price
Old 04-29-14, 12:14 PM
mohrd
Driver

I'll chime in although my technical expertise isn't great. I have a buddy that runs an install shop. I asked him about doing a double DIN for me in the SC and he cringed when he heard it was the ML system. He says it's quite complicated with the ML system because it is a two channel system to the ML amp and the amp then does all the proper mixing to all the speakers. He also said that the ML speakers are based off a home system and without proper consideration for the different ohms, you may as well pull everything including the speakers and the amp and start from scratch. He wasn't sure what kind of module I would need to have steering wheel controls without checking. I then showed him the info on the Beatsonic interface and he quite happily told me I should be able to do any double DIN install myself using the interface.

Hope that makes some sense to you.

Quick Reply: Ready for Double Din Upgrade--Question