SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Ready for Double Din Upgrade--Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-14, 05:36 PM
Born2x
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luso
. Basically, Apple has created software called Carplay that this year will start becoming available in new cars. In addition, aftermarket companies like Pioneer and Kenwood have announced they will also be adding the software to their head units.

It basically mirrors your apps and pulls data from your phone connection to your car's screen. This allows you to use Navigation (think about it, always up to date because its from your phone) music, text with voice, listen to texts, and make phone calls. It will also have streaming audio apps like pandora and stitcher. Think of it as using siri through your car to control all your media needs. In my experience, siri is inifintely better than any car system I've ever used (You can just say "play song Hells Bells" and it will go instantly) You literally never have to mess with your head unit manually, unless you want radio or to adjust the volume. (siri, navigate home. Call John. Play AC/DC. etc etc)

Now Pioneer is the only company that right now has a line of head units out, that in a month or so, will be able to be upgraded with a firmware update that will give it Carplay. So you can buy them now and have Carplay before any of the other car manufacturers even put them in their OEM stereo units. Additionally, this opens up a new paradigm, where instead of you spending $1000 bucks on an expensive head unit because you want it to have a hard drive, built in Nav, bluetooth, and voice command, you basically just need something with a silly screen and your cell phone and run everything off your phone's processor, while it sits their charging.. It will probably be the most intuitive hand's free system on the market along with Google's who is also developing a a uniform Android platform for cars as well, but certainly better than anything any car manufacturer can make. At the end of the day, they aren't software people, and they end up outsourcing their systems to other companies anyway (I.E. Ford to Micrsosoft, Mercedes to Blackberry, etc)

Here are some links and a demo that will show you what it is:

http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/
http://www.pioneer-carglobal.com/CarPlay/

Apple CarPlay hands-on | Engadget - YouTube
2014 Mercedes C-Class - Apple CarPlay demo - YouTube

I can't wait for this system. Basically, you can take the oldest car, put in a headunit with carplay, and it will do anything the fanciest Mercedes or Audi has in terms of media tech instantly. It's not exactly revolutionary as many head units have similar features, but none as cohesive and integrated as a uniform apple system speaking on both ends (head unit and phone)
Luso...

Very interesting stuff on the Apple product. I've been a year and half into planning a major upgrade to my Stereo and Nav unit. and have done a great amount of research and emailing about products. I now have all but one piece of hardware to start my upgrade. If you decide to go with the Beat-Sonic adapter, contact them and discuss if their unit will be compatible with this Apple unit. They've been very responsive to many on my emails. Defiantly top notch in customer service.

One of the things that was putting off on pulling the trigger, was the Smartphone integration with the head unit. The current system MirrorLink (or DriveLink through the Samsung App) really sucks (check out the Android App rating, never seen a lower rating. And the phones it supports are pretty old) and it appears that all the major companies involved just point to the others as being the problem. I decided to just blow-off MirrorLink and move on.

It doesn't surprise me that Apple would break into this market and do it right. But CRAP! I'm not a Apple person and it is really disappointing that these major companies can't get their innovation together and make a decent product. When I think about it, the ideas and innovations are endless. Their all idiots!

Their are a couple guy's out there that hacked the MirrorLink software to actually mirror the phone completely, but it isn't without problems. I say GO FOR IT APPLE! maybe the rest of the companies will wake up and start making a quality, functional product.

In my year and a half research, there are some older CL threads that installed aftermarket head units, but most of the issues where express in this thread. Although, it was a while ago and there may have been other things mentioned.

There is one thing I've NEVER heard anyone speak of... and that's the ML Stereo's interrogation with the SC's computer. As a stock feature, the volume of the stereo goes up and down with acceleration of the car and also changes if the top is up or down. Does the Beat-Sonic adapter retain this feature as well. Granted, it's a petty thing, but it is a cool feature as well.

Good luck with your Stereo upgrade. I hope to be starting mine soon... and that's with the Beat-Sonic adapter which is already sitting on my workbench.

Best regards,
Dan

Last edited by Born2x; 05-01-14 at 07:55 AM. Reason: correction to the thought
Old 04-30-14, 05:51 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Born2X:

You just save me a bunch of research b/C I too am a Samsung Guy who was getting ready to purchase the pioneer for its mirror link (drivelink) feature. I have a Galaxy Note 3 that I wanted to use the nav app on my phone which is great. My hope was to marry the nag on my phone with the pioneer via mirror link. But as you say the app or feature is crap. So for android users where does that leave us. Am I stuck having to buy a head unit with nav already build in, which I did not want to do b/c I love the nave function on my phone.

Man, now i really do not know what to do in light of Born 2X's revelation
Old 04-30-14, 06:39 PM
Born2x
Rookie

Originally Posted by SrWilliams
Born2X:

You just save me a bunch of research b/C I too am a Samsung Guy who was getting ready to purchase the pioneer for its mirror link (drivelink) feature. I have a Galaxy Note 3 that I wanted to use the nav app on my phone which is great. My hope was to marry the nag on my phone with the pioneer via mirror link. But as you say the app or feature is crap. So for android users where does that leave us. Am I stuck having to buy a head unit with nav already build in, which I did not want to do b/c I love the nave function on my phone.

SrWilliams,

I've been watching this product for well over a year. And sad to say, there has not been an upgrade to the system or any firmware to head units and phones. There have been many promises and news about bluetooth integration, but nothing has come to fruition.

I've purchased the top of the line Sony XAV712HD Smartphone connected 7” AV Stereo Receiver recently and was hoping they would upgrade the MirrorLink with this new model (1-2 month since release), but nope!

Your Note 3 isn't going to work! Neither is my S4 or the S5. It does work with the S3 & I think the Note 1. Seriously... they really dropped the ball. Sad thing... My wife works for Sony, and there doesn't seem to be any seriousness to produce a valued product. I guess their going to continue to lose market share in all their products, like Samsung has cleaned their clocks in the TV market share.

The MirrorLink product would be great and have wonderful potential, but there are just too many very large companies involved too ever release a valued product. Very very very disappointing.

Seriously, I'm spending top dollar for a top of the line product, and their great marketing feature MirrorLink is crap. I really don't think car stereo's are like phone, you don't replace them every two years. I figured this unit would be in my car for years to come... but who knows, the electronic world is changing so rapidly. Two years from now I'm going to want some new feature that was never included in a firmware upgrade to this Sony unit, but I can go buy their new unit to get the latest technology. We're truly living in a disposable world! And guys... it's happening to cars too...

If you have any questions about the product, I've digested more then I truly wish to retain.

Best regards,
Dan
Old 04-30-14, 07:00 PM
Born2x
Rookie

Originally Posted by SrWilliams
Born2X:

I failed to say anything about "Am I stuck having to buy a head unit with nav already build in, which I did not want to do b/c I love the nave function on my phone". The only way to make work (maybe w/ your phone) is to use the hacked App. However, more research would be needed to know if anybody has been successful in using the Note 3 w/ the hacked program. BUT, there has been two guys I've read about online that (sell the hacked App). One seems to be pulling more juice out of the phone faster then it can replenish itself. Causing the phone to get real real hot also. The other I've not really got any information about.

Good luck on your search for the perfect stereo. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. I'll share whatever I've learn.

Regards,
Dan
Old 04-30-14, 08:32 PM
Luso
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Born2x
I failed to say anything about "Am I stuck having to buy a head unit with nav already build in, which I did not want to do b/c I love the nave function on my phone". The only way to make work (maybe w/ your phone) is to use the hacked App. However, more research would be needed to know if anybody has been successful in using the Note 3 w/ the hacked program. BUT, there has been two guys I've read about online that (sell the hacked App). One seems to be pulling more juice out of the phone faster then it can replenish itself. Causing the phone to get real real hot also. The other I've not really got any information about.

Good luck on your search for the perfect stereo. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. I'll share whatever I've learn.

Regards,
Dan
To answer your question, no. To my understanding, in the Pioneer Nex line for example, I don't believe the lowest model in the family of products has NAV or SAT Radio. All of these companies will eventually realize they can make one top of the line unit with their own native software for people who aren't interested in navigation, and the rest will just make units geared towards the software of a particular company (apple, google, windows, etc) and all the apps, data, and media will just pull from the user's phones which upgrade easily and are always up to date, making your car always up to date by default.

Additionally, Google has announced a partnership they are creating with a bunch of car manufacturers to make their own system basically identical to carplay. It will have the same functionality as Apple's, just within the paradigm of the android ecosystem. Knowing google, you will also probably have a lot more control and customization than Apple's system will probably give you. The only problem is that they have announced it, but there are no firm dates as to when it will become a reality.

So in short, if you have a samsung and are already invested in google/android, your day is coming too. It's just a matter of when.

I'm just already invested in the apple ecosystem, so for me, one of these pioneer head units with a firmware update for carplay is going to do the trick.
Old 04-30-14, 08:34 PM
Luso
Driver School Candidate

here's some links to get your mouth watering for your Samsung:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/02/g...des-benz-leak/

http://www.openautoalliance.net/#about

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...osoft-dominate
Old 05-01-14, 06:11 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Luso:

I got the feeling that with the intro of the new upcoming iPhone with the large scene I just got another reason to leave the Samsung line and head over to apple. But who knows when Apple is going to produce the big screen iPhone. I have went on the various forums and heard great things about the carplay. One thing that is attractive is that it is touted as being full voice control
Old 05-01-14, 07:48 PM
Luso
Driver School Candidate

yes it will be. it's intended to be completely hands and eyes free. And the "siri" button will be on the steering wheel for all the OEM carplay systems. One button and you can command it to do whatever you need.

I'm going to start pricing out an installation job with one of those Pioneer units and the beatsonic
Old 05-14-14, 05:58 PM
chicagolle
Driver School Candidate

FYI - I just got off the phone with Sam at Beatsonic and he is extending a 10% discount on the MV12L(02-04)/MV13L (05-09). I am getting a pioneer head unit and can't wait to have it install.
Old 07-29-14, 06:48 AM
throw
Rookie

Default Carplay update

I found this article from May
http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/...arrive-in-2014