SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Newbie Sub-woofer Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-14, 07:40 PM
bjhille
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Sub-woofer Question

I have read a bunch of threads regarding upgrading the door speakers and the stock sub-woofer on my 2006 SC430. I have already purchased a Focal 1 Black mono amp and a Polk Audio db840 sub and DC Gold Speakers for the doors.

The DC Golds seem like a simple drop in minus some work borrowing a bracket from the stock speakers. I think I'm good here. Hopefully, it won't be too confusing which wire needs to connect to which terminal.

I am reading conflicting information regarding these two threads regarding the sub-woofer and was hoping someone could confirm what I think I need to do.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...all-sc430.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...rocks-now.html

I think what I need to do is run power from the battery through an inline fuse to the focal 1 amp. Do I really need 4 gauge wire? I saw 6 gauge at Walmart and that seemed plenty thick. What do you guys recommend? I should take the speaker wires that are currently attached to the stock sub-woofer and connect them to the high inputs on the Focal 1 amp. If I understand this amp correctly, it will then sense signal and auto turn on (no need to run a remote wire). Ground the amp, hook up the new sub-woofer and I'm all set. Right?

I am confused to if I should be using those sub-woofer connectors through a line converter before hooking it up to the line level inputs on the amp. What do you guys think would be better? I believe this this setup I would need to find a remote wire.

I appreciate any advise you can provide. This is really over my head.

Thanks.
Old 04-20-14, 08:43 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bihille as they say, size does matter. The higher the number, the thinner the wire. The size or gauge of the wire serves a purpose relating to ampere flow or current. Please refer to the attachment. I also recommend you follow up and refer to Ohm's Law to understand the basic of resistance, voltage and current. I hope the chart helps.
Attached Thumbnails Newbie Sub-woofer Question-image.jpg  
Old 04-26-14, 11:00 AM
bjhille
Rookie

Thanks DarthSid.

I'm unsure which math to use. Here is the amp I bought:
Amazon.com : SOLID 1 - Focal Monoblock / 1-Channel 600 Watts RMS Power Amplifier : Vehicle Mono Subwoofer Amplifiers : Car Electronics Amazon.com : SOLID 1 - Focal Monoblock / 1-Channel 600 Watts RMS Power Amplifier : Vehicle Mono Subwoofer Amplifiers : Car Electronics

Do I take the 600W * 2 / 13.8 = 87 or is it 300w * 2 / 13.8 = 44 ?

The reason I ask is because the polk speaker is 4ohm and at 4ohm, the Focal is only rated at 300w. If that's the math I can use, then 8 gauge wire should be fine, right? I could use 6 gauge just to be safe since the manufacture recommends 4 gauge wire?

Also, can anyone confirm if I should take the speaker wires that are currently attached to the stock sub-woofer and connect them to the high inputs on the Focal 1 amp. If I understand this amp correctly, it will then sense signal and auto turn on (no need to run a remote wire). Ground the amp, hook up the new sub-woofer and I'm all set. Right?

I see that some people that are using those sub-woofer connectors through a line converter before hooking it up to the line level inputs on the amp. What do you guys think would be better, using an LOC or the high level inputs? I believe with the LOC method, I would need to find a remote wire.
Old 04-26-14, 06:44 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How many feet of wire are you using?
Old 04-26-14, 06:54 PM
bjhille
Rookie

Not quite sure yet. My plan was to try to put the amp in the trunk. Not sure how much wire I would need to run. I would think 10-12 feet maybe? Won't really know until I run it, unless someone that has done this before can chime in.