SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Please Help Identify Tire Noises

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-14, 03:14 AM
pvong713
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please Help Identify Tire Noises

Hi please take a look at the video I recorded with my phone and you can hear a thumping or clunking noise coming from the rear driver side tire. The phone was held upside down sorry!. I'm thinking it's either the brake pads or wheel bearing? Please try to ignore the wind noises. = Just want some idea so when I take it to a mechanic it would be easier to identify the problem.

Old 03-30-14, 04:47 AM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Tough to figure out what it is cos the sound is not 100% clear to me. But I can tell you on my old set of RFT ( Pirelli P Zero Nero ), once it got past about 15-18k miles, one of my tires started making a noise like it was scraping something. Only happened once every revolution of the tire. Got rid of the RFTs and all is good now.
Old 03-30-14, 07:15 AM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be helpful if you shared the type of tires, and mileage on them, including the wear of the thread. However, the recorded sound indicates to me it's the tire/s. Do you practice proper tire etiquette? Proper air pressure, rotation, etc. Did the noise just start, or has it been gradual? As OBP stated, the run-flat tires are noisy as they wear.
Old 03-30-14, 09:19 AM
pvong713
Driver

Originally Posted by DarthSid
It would be helpful if you shared the type of tires, and mileage on them, including the wear of the thread. However, the recorded sound indicates to me it's the tire/s. Do you practice proper tire etiquette? Proper air pressure, rotation, etc. Did the noise just start, or has it been gradual? As OBP stated, the run-flat tires are noisy as they wear.
no they are not run flat they are 245/35R-19 Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 XL basically brand new only probably 100 miles on them
Old 03-30-14, 12:07 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Are you running a staggered set up or are your tires directional ? If not I would swap out one wheel/tire with another and see if the sound travels with the tire/wheel. That will help narrow down the problem issue.
Old 03-30-14, 02:26 PM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

those are your wheel bearings. just had mine changed last month, had the same sound for about 6 months. At first I thought it was my brake pads, had them inspected and was told I had another year before I would need pads. then I thought it was the tire, had an alignment and balanced all four tires and still had the sound. I got to looking in the forum and found a few links but not many people talking about this issue, I'm thinking its not that common. I bought the bearings from Sewell Lexus for $67 each install was $400. local Lexus dealer wanted $895 parts and labor. good luck.
Old 03-30-14, 06:14 PM
pvong713
Driver

Originally Posted by hlthlnk
those are your wheel bearings. just had mine changed last month, had the same sound for about 6 months. At first I thought it was my brake pads, had them inspected and was told I had another year before I would need pads. then I thought it was the tire, had an alignment and balanced all four tires and still had the sound. I got to looking in the forum and found a few links but not many people talking about this issue, I'm thinking its not that common. I bought the bearings from Sewell Lexus for $67 each install was $400. local Lexus dealer wanted $895 parts and labor. good luck.
I seen some videos on youtube about wheel bearing but doesn't make noises when you turn mine doesn't make noises I'm thinking it's the pads beacuse when I step on my brakes it does might a slight squeal but it's hard to say.
Old 03-30-14, 07:44 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I was originally thinking the rotors. Might help to have them machined/cut.
Old 03-31-14, 02:17 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hlthlnk
good catch, I was thinking about the same source for the sound.
Old 03-31-14, 07:15 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wheel bearings are usually a steady growling that increases with speed to a howl (or a clicking if you have a single bearing piece trying to jump the race). Thumping usually is a tire/wheel issue (out of round if you are getting the sound at slow speed - but you'll feel it through the steering wheel or the car will shake; if speed specific then it is a balance issue). I couldn't tell from the video. Jack it up, turn the wheel and feel/listen for roughness - compare to the opposite side to get your feel 'calibrated'. Make sure that the caliper has released all the way and that takes the brakes out of the equation. If you feel anything other than a smooth spin, and the caliper is retracted, then the wheel bearing is suspect.

Last edited by kjcole; 03-31-14 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-31-14, 11:49 AM
pvong713
Driver

Originally Posted by kjcole
Wheel bearings are usually a steady growling that increases with speed to a howl (or a clicking if you have a single bearing piece trying to jump the race). Thumping usually is a tire/wheel issue (out of round if you are getting the sound at slow speed - but you'll feel it through the steering wheel or the car will shake; if speed specific then it is a balance issue). I couldn't tell from the video. Jack it up, turn the wheel and feel/listen for roughness - compare to the opposite side to get your feel 'calibrated'. Make sure that the caliper has released all the way and that takes the brakes out of the equation. If you feel anything other than a smooth spin, and the caliper is retracted, then the wheel bearing is suspect.

Took your advice and here is the video. You probably have to turn the volume up. But I was spinning the tires as fast as I can and you can hear something rubbing against each other. I did the wheel bearing test seen on you tube to see if there is any play and it didn't seem like it.

Old 03-31-14, 12:22 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

sounds like warped rotors and pads sticking.. I have same problem, im upgrading my calipers and new brakes!
Old 03-31-14, 12:32 PM
pvong713
Driver

[QUOTE=bimmer416;8459954]sounds like warped rotors and pads sticking.. I have same problem, im upgrading my calipers and new brakes![/QUOTE

Are you doing aftermarket or sticking to OEM. If you doing aftermarket what brand would u rrecommend>
Old 03-31-14, 05:06 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the Brembo BBK kit for the front end. In one month I will install Brembos on the rears as well. A bit expensive.
Attached Thumbnails Please Help Identify Tire Noises-image.jpg  
Old 03-31-14, 08:30 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=pvong713;8459971]
Originally Posted by bimmer416
sounds like warped rotors and pads sticking.. I have same problem, im upgrading my calipers and new brakes![/QUOTE

Are you doing aftermarket or sticking to OEM. If you doing aftermarket what brand would u rrecommend>
mine actually sound much worse then yours! and Im upgrading the calipers to supra ones which I guess you can consider an OEM upgrade and alot cheaper compared to aftermarket bbk's and as for the rotors and pads I will go after market pre-drilled ones with NO slots as I have heard that slots kill pads quicker which makes sense.. so rotors exactly like "DarthSids" below is what I want.. I just have to figure out what brand of rotor and pads I should go with, perhaps someone can help here? I have tried powerstops in past and they were pretty good, but if anyone knows of better please let me know? Im also thinking of upgrading my brake lines to steel stoptech ones which I think are around 160$ for front and rear.

Originally Posted by DarthSid
I went with the Brembo BBK kit for the front end. In one month I will install Brembos on the rears as well. A bit expensive.
That looks Great Sid! I thought brembo didnt make rears for the sc? or do they now?

Quick Reply: Please Help Identify Tire Noises