SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Cargo cover bolt sheared off

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-14, 07:36 AM
mujinzoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cargo cover bolt sheared off

First, let me say how much I enjoy this forum even though I rarely have enough experience with the SC to comment (06 SC430, 58k, bought from dealer 4 months ago, non-certified, bought the Lexus warranty, this is the 4th Lexus I've bought from this dealership in the past 10 yrs...all others were LS models). This is an issue I' ve not seen in previous threads. The bolt that secures the tonneau/cargo cover on the driver's side (in the trunk) to the frame appears to be sheared to the extent that it won't hold a nut. I only discovered this when I noticed the vinyl cover was stating to separate at one seam. Dealer said warranty didn't cover so I removed to have it repaired. There were caps covering the attachment points so I didn't notice that the cover was really only attached on the passenger side (this was secure enough to hold the cover in place when deploying the cover to let the top down...unless you pull really hard as I now know).

Am now awaiting the dealer's assessment (I 'm thinking this is body shop fix) and how they'll determine who should cover the cost.

Any thoughts before I talk to them?

Thanks and sorry for the length of this post.
Old 03-29-14, 08:14 AM
OBP
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Post pics please ? Hard to know what exactly has sheared off from the description ...
Old 03-29-14, 09:20 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by OBP
Post pics please ? Hard to know what exactly has sheared off from the description ...
Yes pics would help . You could tap the sheared bolt and re-thread to larger size. Still a pic would help
Old 03-29-14, 01:56 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mujinzoo
First, let me say how much I enjoy this forum even though I rarely have enough experience with the SC to comment (06 SC430, 58k, bought from dealer 4 months ago, non-certified, bought the Lexus warranty, this is the 4th Lexus I've bought from this dealership in the past 10 yrs...all others were LS models). This is an issue I' ve not seen in previous threads. The bolt that secures the tonneau/cargo cover on the driver's side (in the trunk) to the frame appears to be sheared to the extent that it won't hold a nut. I only discovered this when I noticed the vinyl cover was stating to separate at one seam. Dealer said warranty didn't cover so I removed to have it repaired. There were caps covering the attachment points so I didn't notice that the cover was really only attached on the passenger side (this was secure enough to hold the cover in place when deploying the cover to let the top down...unless you pull really hard as I now know).

Am now awaiting the dealer's assessment (I 'm thinking this is body shop fix) and how they'll determine who should cover the cost.

Any thoughts before I talk to them?

Thanks and sorry for the length of this post.
Hi mujinzoo

You can see the nut that holds the cargo cover in my picture. I am pretty sure you will have to remove the rear seat back to get to the bolt. Not sure how it is held in place. If you take out the rear seat cushion and release the two bolts (at the bottom) that hold the seat back you maybe able to pull the back away enough to at least feel it . This is a bit of a guess as I have never taken the back right off.

Cheers
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Cargo cover bolt sheared off-dsc_3081a.jpg  
Old 03-29-14, 03:24 PM
mujinzoo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all...dealer has car so can't take photo but you can see the two attachment points for the cover in Wil44's photo (thank you).

http://www.alltoyotalexusparts.com/p...s/56535_01.jpg

Also, this photo shows the cover itself (similar to '06 if not identical) and the two attachment points. The left/driver's side bolt has been sheared off and it won't hold a nut. How this happened is anyone's guess. Anyway, the dealer service says they'll know Monday whether they can fix or will have to send to body shop. They also said they're going to ask Sales to pay for it. Again, thanks all and I'll post the outcome. BTW, love this little car.
Old 04-04-14, 02:30 AM
mujinzoo
Driver School Candidate

Got the car back last night. Dealer had moved it to the body shop as the attachment bolt, which is welded to the chassis, had been sheared off. They removed the damaged bolt and welded on another. When I got the car I removed the plastic cap covering the attachment. There was a nut on the new bolt...tested it by vigorously pulling the retractable cover several times. It held. Dealer customer relations said the sales dept would cover the cost. All's well. Thanks again to all.