SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New SC430 OWNER!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-14, 06:37 PM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New SC430 OWNER!

Hey guys I haven't pulled the trigger yet but I'm looking for an SC 430 for the summer or a year just because I've always wanted one. I currently have an 08 LS and previously had an 06 LX470 so I know how lexus' work and everything.

But specifically for the SC 430 what things should I look out for or avoid? Was 02 a bad year with it being the first? Is the hard top convertible a big problem if I constantly lower and raise it? Basically if you all could send me links or post info about the cars on things to look for that would be great.

I see a few I like in my price range but they have 120k-150k miles and I know Lexus/Toyota's are among the best long term but is there anything I should be worried about with such high mileage because I see a few with 60-80k SALVAGE however in the same price range and honestly I trust salvage over higher miles having been to car auctions numerous times.
Old 03-12-14, 07:22 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default One stop for SC430 info

Click the link and read away!

Buying a SC430? SC430 Buyer's Guide-What to Look for When Buying a pre-owned SC430
Old 03-12-14, 07:43 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I own an 02 SC430 and never had any major issues with the car. The most expensive issue I've experienced is the radio volume control fading which required replacement of the head unit. I must also add I purchased the car new April of 2002. Great car! Happy hunting.
Old 03-12-14, 08:23 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I have a 2002 and it was and is my dream car. I kept it garaged nearly everyday since I bought it in 2002. Now it's my daily driver and now experiences all the elements as I must park outdoors. I've never had any mechanical major issues other than an O2 sensor replacement and serpentine belt replacement. Knock on wood. I did choose to replace the horrible Mark Levinson speakers that decayed with time even though the car was garaged and inactive for about 8 years. I've had lots of trouble in terms of the chrome TRD upgraded rims and the horrible RunFlat tires that came with the car, but nothing directly with the mechanics of the car. Good luck in your search!
Old 03-13-14, 01:02 AM
LXurious
Advanced

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I have a 2002 and it was and is my dream car. I kept it garaged nearly everyday since I bought it in 2002. Now it's my daily driver and now experiences all the elements as I must park outdoors. I've never had any mechanical major issues other than an O2 sensor replacement and serpentine belt replacement. Knock on wood. I did choose to replace the horrible Mark Levinson speakers that decayed with time even though the car was garaged and inactive for about 8 years. I've had lots of trouble in terms of the chrome TRD upgraded rims and the horrible RunFlat tires that came with the car, but nothing directly with the mechanics of the car. Good luck in your search!
How much did those repairs run you? And thanks for that first link up there.
Old 03-13-14, 05:29 AM
tdedden
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my '02 in November 2013 while vacationing in Phoenix and drove it home to Boise ID. It passed the first test of long road trip with flying colors. I've done a few DIY replacesments such as trunk lid struts ($32 + $10 for the interior trim tool kit), front door speakers foam replacement ($24); replaced antenna mast ($60), rear side marker bulb replacement ($12), and installed the spare tire kit ($600). I'm considering installing Lexus logo puddle lights (~$30) in the doors but will wait until Spring has sprung.

As you can see these were super low cost fixes but could not have done it without benefit of this web site and all the fantastic posts from the very knowledgeable members. I love the car, it's our infrequent driver however I think that's harder on a vehicle than being a daily driver. I had to buy a battery tender since the battery ran down after sitting for 3+ weeks recently.

I bought it with 79K miles on the odo and have put 2K miles on it since purchase (including the 900 mile drive home). I don't expect perfection from a 12 year old vehicle but so far it's been mechanically trouble free, which is what I expect from the brand.

Happy hunting, you won't regret it!
Old 03-13-14, 06:22 AM
lexgs45
Driver School Candidate

I bought my 2003 Sc430 about two weeks ago, and luckily without problems!

Had just 60000 Kilometers on it.

The roof works still and seems like, it only uses 10l per 100 Kilometers!
Old 03-13-14, 06:44 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LXurious

I see a few I like in my price range but they have 120k-150k miles .

What is your price range? You have chosen the best car on the planet with a bullet-proof reliability record. Be sure the previous owner took care of it. Good luck.
Old 03-13-14, 07:06 AM
memcnulty
Driver School Candidate

I would like to echo the others. I bought a 2002 6 years ago with 27k miles for 24k. I have had about the same maint as tdedden plus having all of the fluids changed as prescribed. It is without doubt the finest and most enjoyable car I have ever driven. The biggest issue are the older electronics which I am considering updating. I put the top down as much as Maryland weather permits with no problems. I review cars.com pretty regularly and if you are willing to travel I see pretty good value on relatively low mileage SCs occasionally. I bought mine in Cleveland. I would not let the year scare you but if you can afford a 2006 and later you get model upgrade. Good luck.
Old 03-13-14, 08:32 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Always being a German car fan had changed for me once I got the SC. Its absolutely beautiful and people don't realize exactly how nice it is until they own it. Everyday you will like it more and more so you won't go wrong with that decision

Other then the details everyone has pointed out for me its the maintenance schedule (timing belt, engine oil, transmission/differential oil, brakes, struts.. try all the features, press all the buttons and make sure they work! the condition of the car would tell you if it was taken care of or not! these cars last very long.. drive the car, take it on hwy make sure it rides smooth..

Goodluck !!
Old 03-18-14, 09:00 PM
ktdsc430
Driver School Candidate

I just got my 2002 SC430 last November. 20k miles on it when I got it. I have only driven it about a hundred miles but I have not had any trouble with it.
Old 03-18-14, 10:35 PM
LXurious
Advanced

Just picked up an 02 with 68k miles and I LOVE it. Lacks some power but this isn't my first lexus I know that has never been a big thing with our cars. Few questions what MPG are you all getting? Im averaging 16, ouch! also is there a way to reset your MPG ave where it shows it on the dash? And when is my next major service due? Also any tips and tricks would be useful.

Here's a pic next to my LS 600
Attached Thumbnails New SC430 OWNER!-lowkey.jpg  
Old 03-18-14, 11:21 PM
Acura2Lex
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice! How's the power compared to the 600?
Old 03-19-14, 05:01 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great choice! Just in time to get the top down, enjoy your new car!
Old 03-19-14, 08:02 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well you did it. good luck.

Quick Reply: New SC430 OWNER!