SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Oil change & rotation cost

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-14, 08:06 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Oil change & rotation cost

I recently had a synthetic oil change and tire rotation at the local Lexus dealer for our CT200h and it cost $125 which I thought was real high.

I just scheduled the same for our SC430 at the local Toyota dealer. I'm waiting for a call from the service advisor on cost.

What are other paying at either Lexus or Toyota dealers?

JR
Old 03-05-14, 08:51 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have payed around that amount for just an oil change so I wouldn't go to them anymore ... another thing i noticed is every oil change once I drive the car and check the stick you will notice that your oil is slightly darker already so I have always ended up back to the shop/dealer to and there excuse was "the oil never fully drains" , they said I can try engine flush but im told those are bad for your car..

So I stopped going to them and I do it myself now. Once the oil stops dripping, I drain 1L of new oil synthetic oil and mann alot of old stuff comes out for a WHILE!!!.. once I see perfectly clear liquid falling out I close it up and drive the car, check the stick, all clear !

anyhow I wouldnt take it to the dealer.. if you can't do it yourself just take it to a trusted mechanic bring extra oil so its all properly done!

goodluck!
Old 03-05-14, 09:02 AM
FLYCT

With my bad back and my age I don't want to do any more oil changes where I have to slide myself under the car. I'm not afraid of getting dirty,

JR
Old 03-05-14, 04:01 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Hey Flyct, just find a trusted indept mech. I have always gone to indept mechs based on referrals and all my cars have been treated right. I buy my own synthetic oil ($25 or so at Costco on discount), get a compatible or OEM quality oil filter ($10 or sometimes less on discount) and the indept mech just charges labor. $15 for the oil change and maybe $20 for the tire rotation. Its worked well for me. I only use dealer service for warranty work.
Old 03-05-14, 04:08 PM
chrisv78
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto here. My mechanic charges $15 for an oil change and you can buy genuine filters on line. He is also good for differential and transfer case oil changes.
Old 03-05-14, 11:07 PM
FLYCT

Toyota dealer quoted $79.95 for synthetic oil change and $39.95 for petroleum oil change.

Lexus dealer quote the same less a 10% discount for $72 ood.

If I buy oil, filter and drain gasket I'm looking at about $35 in parts and if I go to independent it will cost me another $15 for labor, so $35+$15 = $50. So for an additional $22 I'm going to let Lexus do it. I can drink their soda, watch Fox News complain about Obama Care on their republican TV while lounging in their overstuffed leather chairs, eat all the freshly baked chocolate chip cookies and bagels and cream cheese I can stuff in my mouth in the 1 hours it takes. Plus I get the car washed and vacuumed. I'll bring my wife so she can also have free lunch. Our dog likes going their because they give her treats also.

Oh I forgot, I get to say no thanks to replacing my wiper blades, engine air filter and cabin air filter. . Those I can do with my bad back.

JR
Old 03-06-14, 03:25 AM
chrisv78
Pit Crew

Gee - oil change, clean car, a date, dinner and entertainment all for $72? I need to re-evaluate my spending habits!
Old 03-06-14, 04:53 AM
momssc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Once the oil stops dripping, I drain 1L of new oil synthetic oil and mann alot of old stuff comes out for a WHILE!!!"

Can you explain this? Exactly what are you doing?
Old 03-06-14, 07:28 AM
Slingshot1
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by momssc
"Once the oil stops dripping, I drain 1L of new oil synthetic oil and mann alot of old stuff comes out for a WHILE!!!"

I'm interested in more info on this procedure...
Old 03-06-14, 12:32 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FLYCT
Toyota dealer quoted $79.95 for synthetic oil change and $39.95 for petroleum oil change.

Lexus dealer quote the same less a 10% discount for $72 ood.

If I buy oil, filter and drain gasket I'm looking at about $35 in parts and if I go to independent it will cost me another $15 for labor, so $35+$15 = $50. So for an additional $22 I'm going to let Lexus do it. I can drink their soda, watch Fox News complain about Obama Care on their republican TV while lounging in their overstuffed leather chairs, eat all the freshly baked chocolate chip cookies and bagels and cream cheese I can stuff in my mouth in the 1 hours it takes. Plus I get the car washed and vacuumed. I'll bring my wife so she can also have free lunch. Our dog likes going their because they give her treats also.

Oh I forgot, I get to say no thanks to replacing my wiper blades, engine air filter and cabin air filter. . Those I can do with my bad back.

JR
Hahaha thats awesome! seriously thats a good price coming from Lexus!

Originally Posted by momssc

Im not sure if you change oil yourself or if you have before... the basic procedures can be found on link below... it is for the ls430 but I mean once your down there its pretty simple..
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-2003-a-2.html

So everytime I got an oil change from outside I notice the oil to be darker already on the dipstick so im kind of like wtf.. I decided to do the oil changes myself and see what I can do to get all this old oil out.. I get my mobil 1 5w-30 on deals so like 5 litre bottles for 30$ and also fram filters.

1) two low profile jacks to lift the front from each side

2) open the oil filler cap, take the dip stick out

3) get under and open up the cover (unfortunately you have to if you want to get to that filter).. the cover has many screws

4) Open the filter, let the oil out.. wipe the area clean. take new filter put some new oil in there, dip the gasket in new oil and place it lightly with hand, dont need to tighten yet..

5) Open the drain plug, let all the fluid drain into the oil pan.. Once it stops dripping, I lower the car slightly from one side and more oil comes out, then other side until car is completely on the ground and you will see a line of black oil draining for a WHILE.. once stopped, raise the car slighty just for better view and pour in a liter of new oil and wait for all that to drain. I usually see perfectly clear oil after a liter but if you dont then pour some more but make sure you let it all drain so you dont end up having extra oil after.

6) raise the car, put the drain bolt wipe the area clean and tighten both filter and drain bolt.

7) get a funnel, pour in 5.5 liters, wipe the dip stick and engine filler cap and place both securely.

8) start the car! leave in idle and let it run for about 5 minutes and check for any leaks... I usually place a card board under so my floor doesnt get dirty.

9) turn off car, place the cover under and lower the car and your good to go!

dont use engine flush just drain new oil.. best way to keep your engine clean

hope that helps
Old 03-06-14, 12:58 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

I hate to say it, but in my opinion, all you are doing is wasting a Liter of good oil. To each his own I guess.
Old 03-06-14, 01:08 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iolmaster
I hate to say it, but in my opinion, all you are doing is wasting a Liter of good oil. To each his own I guess.
Well the thing is I would agree, but how else can you get more old stuff out of there? If anyone has a better way im all ears..

recently in the cold I got my mechanic to do the oil change and even on the hoist.. after it stopped draining he was going to close it up and put new oil.. but I told him to keep it open and drain a liter.. or less.. I mean whatever you need to get as much of it out right? so quite a bit of dirty oil came out and again for a while. Plus its the same as flushing your engine but better

I guess it doesnt make a huge difference if you still have old oil in there but personally it bothers me, I mean its not really an oil change if your just mixing new with some old.. anyhow im open to solutions and opinions!

thanks
Old 03-06-14, 01:37 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

You said it yourself. It doesn't make any difference with a little old oil in it. The new oil instantly becomes old oil as soon as you start driving.

It's all mental.
Old 03-06-14, 01:57 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jzwu
You said it yourself. It doesn't make any difference with a little old oil in it. The new oil instantly becomes old oil as soon as you start driving.

It's all mental.
lol guess meaning, would it matter? but again your only giving me your opinion.. and well it'll still be newer then 7000km old oil mixed in there which was suppose to be changed. like i said guys, it doesnt hurt to do it properly. there are times I have driven very long distances and changed oil way before 7000 because it turned super dark.. It depends on how you drive. But it definately does not hurt to get as much of it as you can out of there. when you put fresh oil I mean thats what you should see on your dip stick.. not old stuff? otherwise it shouldnt be called an oil change more like partial oil change lol.. I personally dont mind going an extra step to keep my car perfect for my peace of mind.

but thanks for sharing your opinion
Old 03-06-14, 02:13 PM
Slingshot1
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bimmer416
lol guess meaning, would it matter? but again your only giving me your opinion.. and well it'll still be newer then 7000km old oil mixed in there which was suppose to be changed. like i said guys, it doesnt hurt to do it properly. there are times I have driven very long distances and changed oil way before 7000 because it turned super dark.. It depends on how you drive. But it definately does not hurt to get as much of it as you can out of there. when you put fresh oil I mean thats what you should see on your dip stick.. not old stuff? otherwise it shouldnt be called an oil change more like partial oil change lol.. I personally dont mind going an extra step to keep my car perfect for my peace of mind.

but thanks for sharing your opinion
Never heard of doing this, for the price of one quart of oil, I'm going to give it a try next time I change my oil, and see what extra stuff drains out
Thanks for the info

Quick Reply: Oil change & rotation cost