SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Finally got a good SC430 key

Old 03-02-14, 03:28 PM
marty99
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Finally got a good SC430 key

March 2nd, 2014:

Had several failed attempts, mostly because the keys I purchased on ebay were junk. Most keys without the HYQ12BBK FCC ID have fobs that were swapped around, so there's no way to know what they will work with. I suspect 90% of all frustration on this issue come from non compatable used key inserts.

I got the correct fob, and had already received a couple of laser cut keys. Put the fob in the key, did the door open/close operation, and had a new working key, with remote, up and running inside of 12 minutes. What a relief to have more than one master key.

My lesson- get the CORRECT FCC ID

Now for the RX ...

Last edited by marty99; 03-02-14 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-03-14, 06:49 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Good for you. Now tackle the RX, I am very interested what you come up with, I, too need a spare for my RX330. Good luck.
Old 03-10-14, 12:41 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Good for you. Now tackle the RX, I am very interested what you come up with, I, too need a spare for my RX330. Good luck.
I need one too!
Old 04-07-14, 06:07 AM
marty99
Rookie

Default 1999 RX300 successful remote key lock programming

After several failed attempts, my problem was locking/unlocking the door with the power lock button. This is wrong. Use the manual button on the door and toggle the lock. Worked first shot. Now I'm happy.

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Old 04-07-14, 11:24 AM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the Lexus dealer here in Rochester program one for me last fall. If I remember correctly it was about $210. Outrageous for sure, but I now have a second key that works. I was afraid of storing the car for the winter without having a second key. Paul
Old 04-08-14, 09:27 AM
marty99
Rookie

Default Single Master Key - big risk

Paul,

Good idea to get a second, or even third, master key. I had family visiting us in Florida, and the year before, one of their master keys was left on the trunk of the car. They found it after the snow and ice had thawed out, ground into the driveway and very rusted, leaving just one key. I immediately convinced them to get a duplicate. The dealer hit them for $175 + more $ to program.

I'm lucky in that I don't give up easy, and have spent about $200 on 5 or 6 NEW laser cut Lexus blanks, and 4 fob inserts. My cost per key, with programming, is under $70 each and the key case and blade are fresh and new. Just the fob is used. The peace of mind is priceless!

I did have to return most of the keys I bought on Ebay. Stay away from the scrap yard stuff, try to find an individual who owned the vehicle the key came from. This is the only way you know for certain the key is engineered to work with your vehicle.

Originally Posted by Moonstruck
I had the Lexus dealer here in Rochester program one for me last fall. If I remember correctly it was about $210. Outrageous for sure, but I now have a second key that works. I was afraid of storing the car for the winter without having a second key. Paul
Old 04-16-14, 03:26 PM
Eternity Key
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement key

Originally Posted by marty99
March 2nd, 2014:

Had several failed attempts, mostly because the keys I purchased on ebay were junk. Most keys without the HYQ12BBK FCC ID have fobs that were swapped around, so there's no way to know what they will work with. I suspect 90% of all frustration on this issue come from non compatable used key inserts.

I got the correct fob, and had already received a couple of laser cut keys. Put the fob in the key, did the door open/close operation, and had a new working key, with remote, up and running inside of 12 minutes. What a relief to have more than one master key.

My lesson- get the CORRECT FCC ID

Now for the RX ...
If you want a key that you will never have to replace go to your Lexus dealer and ask for our Eternity Key. It is a stronger tougher key made of military grade materials, and comes with a lifetime warranty. Go to www.eternitykey.com click on the video tab and you will see what I mean. Ask for it by name Eternity Key
Old 04-17-14, 05:41 AM
UGAALF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you have a new key made at a Toyota Dealer? Hopefully, for a lower cost than the Lexus dealer.
Old 04-17-14, 06:59 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Eternity Key
If you want a key that you will never have to replace go to your Lexus dealer and ask for our Eternity Key. It is a stronger tougher key made of military grade materials, and comes with a lifetime warranty. Go to www.eternitykey.com click on the video tab and you will see what I mean. Ask for it by name Eternity Key
That a cottage industry has formed around the fact that the Lexus key breaks under normal use sure seems to indicate a defective design. Where are the class action lawyers when you need them?

The Eternity Key looks promising, but there is no info on price, not even a MSRP, on the website. A Google search suggests that the list price is $160.00 per key.

There is one seller on eBay who is selling blanks for ten bucks that look exactly like the OEM version -- seemingly a rarity on eBay lately. I purchased from him, had the keys cut by Sewell via VIN number, and they work fine. The dude's name is 150zexx.

Old 04-17-14, 07:19 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
The Eternity Key looks promising, but there is no info on price, not even a MSRP, on the website. A Google search suggests that the list price is $160.00 per key.
If that $160 is key purchased, cut, and delivered to your door, that's not a horrible deal (compared to what the dealer charges for a factory key - not compared to what an eBay key costs). Especially if it's "the last key you'll ever need to buy".

I'm honestly not sure where exactly JohnnyCake is putting his key and turning it because, he seems to go through keys like nobody's business! I still have the original key that came with my car when I bought it (and it's still in one piece).
Old 04-17-14, 09:19 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
If that $160 is key purchased, cut, and delivered to your door, that's not a horrible deal (compared to what the dealer charges for a factory key - not compared to what an eBay key costs). Especially if it's "the last key you'll ever need to buy".

I'm honestly not sure where exactly JohnnyCake is putting his key and turning it because, he seems to go through keys like nobody's business! I still have the original key that came with my car when I bought it (and it's still in one piece).

I always thought that club lexus sponsors gave special discounts to members. I PM the sponsor and asked about price etc. Have not heard back from him yet.
Old 04-17-14, 07:10 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
If you are not a girlie man, then you're gonna break keys.

Sewell was $16 to cut and $10 shipping both ways (they emailed me a FedEx address label). So the "out the door" price was $36 per key and they look exactly like OEM, which I wanted. Heck, they purport to actually be OEM, although since I got them from eBay, kinda doubt that.