SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-14, 10:10 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

That is a fabulous addition to the car. As for activation, I would think you would hook it up to the circuit that powers the overhead interior light that comes on when you unlock the doors, since that's about the only time you would really need the handles illuminated.
And as for the quick disconnects, that is very wise; I have found that if I have to go back in a year or so later, I am disinclined to go through all the disassembly again, not to mention that I probably forgot by then how I hooked things up in the first place, although phone cameras have made documentation of such things easier and more convenient.
Great job.
Old 03-23-14, 12:35 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks Mandyfig and Tfischer. Tfischer, my plan is to first make the white light active with the foglight, which actually only light up when the headlights are active (therefore only visible at night). I get tired of people trying to broadside me at night when they don't check their blind spots, especially since my car is black on black with black limo tint. Had too many close calls and since there's only 2 white LED's on this strip, I doubt the white light will be bright enough to offend police officers. If I decide to change it to the fade on/off like the mirror puddle lamps, it's an easy switch under the driver side fuse panel where I've run a 12/4 in a single jacket wire for all added door "extras." The turn (amber) signal was just an additional benefit of the switchback LED. I will have to do all the wiring next week though, as this coming week will be a cold and rainy one here in the Chicago 'burbs. Thanks for checking in!
Old 03-25-14, 09:23 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

So I thought I would add my wiring diagram for two reasons. 1) For anyone that's interested in how I wired my newest mods in a single project; 2) So I have a online copy of my wiring if I should ever need it in the future it's available. I know it looks really complicated but it's not so bad once you dissect it. Also, you might notice the addition of the "Headlight Sideshine LED Strip." I mounted it around the headlight in the gap so it's not a huge eyesore and still serves purpose. I figured if I was going to tap the turn signal, might as well add the LED. I think it looks amazing and am beyond happy with the results. Currently, I've only connected the turn signal portions of both sides, and I get lots of looks from people (more than before), which only tells me that they are drawing attention. I'm still unsure what to connect the white part of the LED (purple line) so it will illuminate in daytime (as DRL) and nighttime (with headlights) but remain on a switch. I dont want to tap both the parking and low beam/DRL. Thought about the parking light alone but it doesn't illuminate during the day. Any suggestions? Photos to come soon.
Attached Thumbnails Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals-wiring.jpg  

Last edited by ShawnOk; 03-25-14 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-25-14, 09:38 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Exhibit A. Daylight photos to come soon
Attached Thumbnails Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals-dsc02512.jpg   Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals-dsc02515.jpg   Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals-dsc02523.jpg   Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals-dsc02525.jpg   Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals-dsc02533.jpg  

Last edited by ShawnOk; 03-26-14 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-26-14, 03:30 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

some photos in the daylight. As you can see I wanted to keep the LED as small as possible, and this was the smallest possible strip I could find. I wish I had mounted them a little further back on the clear lip of the headlight. oh well... I connected the white portion to the ignition fuse on the engine fuse box. Therefore, the white is always illuminated daytime or nighttime, until the turn signal is activated, then the orange is dominate and then return to white again.
Attached Thumbnails Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals-dsc02550.jpg   Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals-dsc02548.jpg   Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals-dsc02544.jpg  
Old 04-06-14, 08:08 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Project Completed! Here are some photos and walk around videos! Let me know what you think. I've tied the white handle lights to the fog lights, so turning off the fogs will deactivate the white and retain the orange turn signals. Sorry for the photo quality. I don't have a nice camera. I save all my money for The Lex. :-(
Attached Thumbnails Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals-dsc02569.jpg   Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals-dsc02572.jpg   Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals-dsc02573.jpg   Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals-dsc02574.jpg   Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals-dsc02576.jpg  

Old 04-06-14, 08:10 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

more photos...
Attached Thumbnails Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals-dsc02596.jpg   Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals-dsc02597.jpg   Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals-dsc02589.jpg   Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals-dsc02590.jpg  
Old 04-06-14, 09:15 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Vids... Click "Close to Play."

http://videobam.com/FUjRh
http://videobam.com/DCQUw
http://videobam.com/ySEQH
http://videobam.com/JTSlK
Old 04-06-14, 09:54 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...good job !!!!...do you notice any more brightness in general ???
Old 04-07-14, 01:15 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Thanks Tex! I do feel that they are bright enough to alert other drivers of my position in the lane next to them but not an eyesore or enough to get me pulled over by the fuzz. The yellow signals also help to let people know when i'm merging into their lane or making a turn. I'm incredibly happy with this unique mod!
Old 06-25-14, 09:24 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Just an update, been over 3 months and all lights are working perfectly. I did however disconnect the white portion of the bumper LED's strip and am only using the orange turn signal portion. I thought the white added a little too much feminine "bling." Just wasn't my taste. As for the white turn signal in the handles, haven't been pulled over yet and I pass the fuzz constantly in the burbs and downtown Chicago. Knock wood.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 06-25-14 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-05-14, 07:12 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Decided to finally go with ghost shadow puddle lights, as some other owners have done. I went with these... http://www.windfireauto.com/product/d006/. If you input discount code "US74" total came to 9.99 plus shipping. The housings fit perfectly into the OEM space without any cutting or modifying. One note though, for some reason on the driver's side the very top of the image is slightly cutoff due to the weatherstripping but just barely. Passenger side is perfect. Anyway, just a small upgrade.
Old 07-05-14, 11:18 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Decided to finally go with ghost shadow puddle lights, as some other owners have done. I went with these... http://www.windfireauto.com/product/d006/. If you input discount code "US74" total came to 9.99 plus shipping. The housings fit perfectly into the OEM space without any cutting or modifying. One note though, for some reason on the driver's side the very top of the image is slightly cutoff due to the weatherstripping but just barely. Passenger side is perfect. Anyway, just a small upgrade.
...if I didn't already have some, I might would have bought these.I like how they fit into the factory light housing
Old 03-08-15, 08:56 PM
Black31385
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice mod I will try to attempt this when I do the door sill lights.

Quick question, the connector for the mirror, does it run into the door?
Old 03-08-15, 09:41 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Black31385
Nice mod I will try to attempt this when I do the door sill lights.

Quick question, the connector for the mirror, does it run into the door?
Yes, the wire harness runs into the door and the connector near the Mid speaker. You will have to completely remove the door panel to access the connector.

Quick Reply: Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals