SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

A SC 430 Purchase gone terribly awry!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-14, 04:36 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default A SC 430 Purchase gone terribly awry!

You may have followed my other threads of my purchase of my 2010 SC 430 that was bought sight unseen in Texas and transported to California. The bottom line is finally in and it is not pretty.

Before I explain my SC problems, realize I still have my 2002 white gold/ecru SC 430 that I have been so impressed with that i decided i would own a SC for the rest of my life. So when news of the last model year of 2010 with some suble changes that makes it unlike all other model years came out, I decided that would be my "forever" car! It would only be a matter of time before I would find my dream car. It is a very hard-to-come-by car, since only 329 were made and very few are ever for sale. Time was running out in that I wanted one that was still under factory warranty so I could purchase the extended warranty. Thus started my current problems. I will now be into this car at a purchase price of $39.5k and $10k to the body shop! Here's how that happened.

I found my "dream car" on the autotrader, but it was 1100 miles away from me. It is a 2010 SC 430 red with camel interior.

I started out this process by asking other forum members if anyone had gone through the experience of buying without seeing and transporting through several states. Most replied that it was a positive experience without complaints. My experience is quite the opposite. While all my problems are with the body,the interior and mechanically have zero problems and it is one of a few 2010's that are still under factory warranty.

Prior to purchase, I was assured by the Ford dealer the body had only one problem-a scratch on the rear bumper that would be sent out for repair. That was done, though I have no proof. It took about one week to get my loan in order with my credit union and overnighting all the paperwork back and forth. I used a transport company that the dealer had used before. I paid $300 extra for an enclosed transport, making my total transport cost at $1075. The car was picked up on a Friday and delivered to me on Sunday, 2 days later. The car was dirty when the transport company picked it up, as though it was parked and then rained on and left to dry that way. When it was delivered it was difficult to see any damage other than several dings that were marked on the bill of lading (problem #1), that I was never told about. Right before the driver left, I noticed small dents in the hood and upon further inspection, we found the hood was filled with what appeared to be hail damage (problem #2). My insurance company puts the dents as more than 100 and unrepairable. The hood will be replaced. More hail damage was found in the roof and trunk lid. The initial estimate was put at $4700 and is now at $6600.

Problem #3 was found out about 15 minutes after the truck driver left my home and I took the SC to the car wash. That was a huge mistake- I should have had the driver go with me to the car wash. After the wash, My heart dropped-the roof, right quarter panel, pass door, and trunk lid all have what the body shop is calling "industrial fallout". To me it looked like paint failure, but is localized to that specific area. They are small circles about 1/8" in diameter with a dot in the center and are very noticeable when the car is clean.

The transport company is on the hook for the hail damage because of the bill of lading, even though it was in an enclosed container and the driver claims it never left the truck. The bill of lading is a legal document and they are on the hook. I don't see how it could happen that way but the dealer thinks that they unloaded my SC to unload my car and the bad stuff happened.

Problem #3 is the fallout. Monday I will see if my insurance company will handle that issue along with the hail damage, since they already approved repairs to be done. The fallout actually is on all body parts except for the front bumper, but is predominantly on the previously mentioned body parts. The bill for the fallout is an additional $2500

Problem #1 the dings that were marked on the bill of lading will come to $1500 putting my total over $10k in damages. I am going to see if the dealer will cover that, since they claimed to only body issue was taken care of.

I am trying to stay positive on this experience, since I did find the "car of my dreams" I now look at it like buying a classic car that needs some body work, but I have a shop that I trust to do a job that will make it look like new again. That does bother me in that my 2002 is often mistaken for a brand new SC. I am proud of my cars and the condition i keep them in. this car came in a condition that i would never own, so now i have to work to get it there-not something im used to. I am also happy with the interior and mechanical condition.

I am now wondering since the entire car is getting a new paint job, should I go with a custom red, such as candy apple red or just keep it the stock color. I added luxlink and am currently having the rims chromed, other than that, it will be kept stock. Opinions about color?
Old 02-22-14, 04:56 AM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm glad your are keeping a positive attitude and had insurance to cover all of this, I ope it gets taken care of fast so you can enjoy he car. If you are going to keep the car stock then you should stick to the original paint. Good luck.
Old 02-22-14, 05:04 AM
Taysdad
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand this is your "forever car", so this may not apply...........

When you paint a car a different color than it originally was, it takes an enormous hit in resale value. Thus, if it were me, and I liked the current color, I would simply repaint it the same color. YMMV.
Old 02-22-14, 07:51 AM
Lexeffect
Driver

Sorry to hear of your recurring problems with your SC430 Solman. This scenario keeps going from bad to worse. With regard to the full repaint, I would definitely keep it Matador Red Mica. No question. Be patient my friend, we are all pulling for you.
Old 02-22-14, 09:25 AM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been following your threads and I'm deeply sorry you have to go through this. Keep a positive outlook. You also live 10 miles from me. If you like to hook up, send me a PM. What you do from this point forward is your call. If you never plan on selling "Your Dream Car," paint it the color you want. However, if you plan to sell your 2010 down the road, then think of the resale value and keeping the car in oriinal OEM condition. For me, I kept my 02 in OEM original condition until 2010 when I started my mods. I recently went this route because I never plan on selling my 02. Best of Luck..... as we all learn from others on this great forum.
Old 02-22-14, 12:27 PM
barncat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a great experience buying my SC430 700 miles away and sight unseen but was burnt once before on a Saab Turbo convert which had a warped block. Cost me 5k to get a rebuilt engine put in and the scumbag dealer wouldn't pay one cent! Buyer beware. The dealership kept changing it's name to stay ahead of bad feed-back. The sc430 was through a very reputable BMW dealer and a completely pleasant experience. They even paid to replace 2 cracked wheels which neither of us had seen until I got rid of the run-flats
Old 02-22-14, 04:12 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Sorry to hear about the continued complications with your dream car, but am glad that you are keeping a positive outlook. I tend to agree with Darth about the color of your car, if it is truly going to be your lifelong dream car, then painting a color similar MrMark’s pearl red SC would look fantastic, one of most stunning SC’s in this forum IMO. However if you might sell your car in the future, then the stock color will attract a greater population of potential buyers. With that said, red is one of my favorite car colors without question, but most cars on the road are painted somewhere between black and white, with lots variations of grey – dark and light. Should you paint your dream car candy apple/pearl red, sure the actual population size of potential buyers will likely be less than those that would have bought a factory stock color, but the sample size who like red is less than those who like any color ranging from black to white. If the paint job is done correctly, all it takes is one buyer that appreciates the color like you, MrMark or I and everything works out.

Last edited by sixonemale; 02-22-14 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-22-14, 06:26 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep it OEM color.

If you go custom color would require a lot more cost to do it right. Door jambs, pillars , under weather strips, inside trunk etc.

Jr
Old 02-22-14, 07:56 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

I am sorry to hear about your bad experience

I was looking for a SC for 6 months and I finally found one 300 miles away only to discovered after purchasing the car had a repaint of the hood

I eventually ended up selling it 2 months later when I found a mint Egyptain pearl 04 50 K SC at a lexus dealer

These are great cars and I hope it all works out
Old 02-23-14, 05:27 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm convinced to leave it the oem color. It's a good argument about the cost will be much higher to color match the door jambs, engine compartment, bottom side of hood and trunk lid. one of the reasons I purchased this car is because of its color- I love it! It will remain the same. You guys are the best at reasoning and showing the many sides in decision making. I still have no regrets with the decision in making this purchase. I wish in turned out differently, but in the end, I know my body shop is going to give me an SC I can be proud of.
Old 02-23-14, 06:45 AM
chrisv78
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And at least you have an SC430 to drive around while this one is being repaired. I only wish I had been that lucky!
Old 02-23-14, 07:00 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

No doubt to paint your car a slightly different color would have cost much more, hence the reason I said "if the paint job is done correctly." You've made the correct decision IMO, but I wanted to be opened minded in regard to the thought process. It is a great color and I'm also confident your body shop is going to do a great job!
Old 02-23-14, 07:53 AM
Taysdad
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Solman
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm convinced to leave it the oem color. It's a good argument about the cost will be much higher to color match the door jambs, engine compartment, bottom side of hood and trunk lid. one of the reasons I purchased this car is because of its color- I love it! It will remain the same. You guys are the best at reasoning and showing the many sides in decision making. I still have no regrets with the decision in making this purchase. I wish in turned out differently, but in the end, I know my body shop is going to give me an SC I can be proud of.
The law of attraction says good things are coming your way. Hang in there. You attitude is fantastic and I am confident things will begin to look up soon!
Old 02-24-14, 04:18 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hlthlnk
I'm glad your are keeping a positive attitude and had insurance to cover all of this, I ope it gets taken care of fast so you can enjoy he car. If you are going to keep the car stock then you should stick to the original paint. Good luck.
you of all owners do not deserve this, good luck going forward bro!
Old 02-24-14, 06:52 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All will end well. Just make sure you get a fussy, talented paint-shop and tell them to take their time. It's gonna look fantastic!

Quick Reply: A SC 430 Purchase gone terribly awry!