SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What spec of sound deadening material to get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-14, 08:14 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default What spec of sound deadening material to get?

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to add some sound deadening material to my car, not the whole car but possibly the doors, rear seat around the sub.. Im still not sure about the brand but I would like to know what specs would be perfect for the SC? I guess its suppose to be 100% butyl.. but I have seen thickness from 50 mm to 110.. any recomendations? experience? oh and how much material would I need approx, lets say for the full cabin!

Thankyou
Old 02-20-14, 09:00 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Superlite Dynamat on my doors. I believe I ordered from amazon or ebay the box with 12 sqft. To get good coverage, I removed the plastic weather liner, including the speakers, etc. if you can't remember how to put everything back in its original state, take plenty of pictures.
Attached Thumbnails What spec of sound deadening material to get?-image.jpg  
Old 02-20-14, 09:12 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

I ordered two boxes which was sufficient to cover both doors, including the rear section for the back rest, panels under the rear seat and side quarter paneling.
Old 02-22-14, 01:19 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

so 24 sq ft was good to do what you have done !! did you notice a big difference in sound quality? and also the sound from outside?

oh and when it gets hot, you dont notice any sort of smell do you? I was researching and alot of people seemed to talk about smell but for other brands or knock offs.. I didnt find anything like that for dynamat

thanks again !!
Old 02-22-14, 03:44 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Lexus to start already has a lower road noise decibel level than the average car. I noticed an improvement in the sound quality coming from the speakers. I also noticed my car decibel, or road noise is lower. As for the smell, I'm happy to report there is no smell. I also installed the same product on my wife's Prius. I covered all four doors, including the rear hatch. On the Prius I definitely notice a vast improvement with lower road noise and a better sound quality coming from the OEM speakers. My wife has a very sensitive nose and I must also add there is zero smell coming from the product on both cars. If you do decide to invest in this product also purchase the tiny pin roller. Here is a photo of the roller.
Old 02-24-14, 04:20 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bimmer416
so 24 sq ft was good to do what you have done !! did you notice a big difference in sound quality? and also the sound from outside?

oh and when it gets hot, you dont notice any sort of smell do you? I was researching and alot of people seemed to talk about smell but for other brands or knock offs.. I didnt find anything like that for dynamat

thanks again !!
yes, this is great info!
Old 02-24-14, 07:47 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DarthSid
Lexus to start already has a lower road noise decibel level than the average car. I noticed an improvement in the sound quality coming from the speakers. I also noticed my car decibel, or road noise is lower. As for the smell, I'm happy to report there is no smell. I also installed the same product on my wife's Prius. I covered all four doors, including the rear hatch. On the Prius I definitely notice a vast improvement with lower road noise and a better sound quality coming from the OEM speakers. My wife has a very sensitive nose and I must also add there is zero smell coming from the product on both cars. If you do decide to invest in this product also purchase the tiny pin roller. Here is a photo of the roller.
That is exactly what I want!! thankyou my friend , we have a camry hybrid at home in which you can hear everything from outside, and it has a jbl system which is nice but the car has alot of hollow space so it does get vibration.. dynamat should fix that

Im really hating the cold right now but I think im going to order the stuff right away because im getting impatient lol i guess ill have to stare at it for two more months

thanks again!