SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Top is stuck partially opened/closed

Old 04-14-14, 06:19 PM
medsc430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top is stuck partially opened/closed

Tried to close the top and it stuck. The deck lid is up, top is half- way unfolded, package tray is in up position. The motor acts like it is binding with ever so slight movement when I push the button to raise or lower. The red light on the dash switch is lit (red).
Has anyone had the pleasure of this situation?
Old 04-15-14, 12:19 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Never happened to me, good luck bro.
Old 04-15-14, 12:52 PM
kjcole
Lead Lap

check that the cables running around the pulleys are on track.

Here's the bulletin for manually closing the top - but since we don't know what is wrong, don't force anything.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Top Down Mistake Fix.pdf (128.5 KB, 337 views)

Last edited by kjcole; 04-15-14 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-15-14, 01:23 PM
HOODCELEBS
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grease the track and the sprockets that turn the top and trunk happen to me before the grease wear and tear after awhile causing it to rub metal to metal
Old 04-16-14, 04:23 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this happen on my `02 way back when and I recall there was something wrong with one of the cables. It could be that in your case, or a bad sensor, or something wrong with the strut. Lots of moving parts unfortunately. Definitely do not force it. Good luck.
Old 04-16-14, 07:33 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

A cable coming off the pulley (seen at the front corners where the trunk hinges) seems to be the most-often reported issue with the top mechanism, at least on this forum. Good place to start.
Old 04-16-14, 08:49 AM
medsc430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kjcole
check that the cables running around the pulleys are on track.

Here's the bulletin for manually closing the top - but since we don't know what is wrong, don't force anything.
Thanks kjcole, that did the job getting the top the rest of the way down. The package tray is still upright and taunt, I didn't want to try to force it back down. Where, pray tell, are the pulleys you referenced so I can check their little cables?
I really appreciate your help, I was a gnats shoelace from calling the dreaded tow truck!
Old 04-16-14, 11:06 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...t-close-2.html

there are pictures in this thread. With the package tray stuck up I'm not sure if it obscures the cable.

There are several threads that also note sensor failures and motor failures. Use the search function and you may get some more ideas. I'm thinking that your signs/symptoms don't line up with a cable off the pulley.

Last edited by kjcole; 04-16-14 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-17-14, 03:23 AM
medsc430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kjcole
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...t-close-2.html

there are pictures in this thread. With the package tray stuck up I'm not sure if it obscures the cable.

There are several threads that also note sensor failures and motor failures. Use the search function and you may get some more ideas. I'm thinking that your signs/symptoms don't line up with a cable off the pulley.
Very helpful. Much thanks. It'll be off to the stealership when time and lottery winnings allow. I must say I'm having some pangs of buyers remorse after less than 1000 miles of driving. This reminds me of the feeling I got owning German vehicles and not the carefree expectations of the Japanese "experience". Oh well, so goes life in the moderately fast lane!!
Old 04-17-14, 07:09 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by medsc430
Very helpful. Much thanks. It'll be off to the stealership when time and lottery winnings allow. I must say I'm having some pangs of buyers remorse after less than 1000 miles of driving. This reminds me of the feeling I got owning German vehicles and not the carefree expectations of the Japanese "experience". Oh well, so goes life in the moderately fast lane!!
I'm sure it's of absolutely no consolation whatsoever but, you are certainly in the minority with "major top issues".

Minor glitches happen here and there (I helped JohnnyCake sort out of a bad microswitch on his car last year) but, significant problems (requiring a dumptruck full of $20 bills) are very rare.
Old 04-19-14, 02:51 PM
medsc430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Habious
I'm sure it's of absolutely no consolation whatsoever but, you are certainly in the minority with "major top issues".

Minor glitches happen here and there (I helped JohnnyCake sort out of a bad microswitch on his car last year) but, significant problems (requiring a dumptruck full of $20 bills) are very rare.
I appreciate your positive thoughts and hope that future laps are less bumpy and more carefree. Btw, enjoyed your utube video and the NYT piece.
Old 04-20-14, 01:50 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I appreciate your positive thoughts and hope that future laps are less bumpy and more carefree. Btw, enjoyed your utube video and the NYT piece.
Thank you, sir.

The CarPC is a mod that I use every day. It's my stereo (I'm certainly not cruising down the highway, jamming to my cassette deck!).
Old 04-28-14, 01:56 AM
tromly
Pole Position

please don't give up on your SC, it is the best car in the world!
Old 06-21-14, 01:17 PM
rcush65
Driver School Candidate

Default erasing memory fixed my sc430 partially closed top

i had the same problem and ultimately what fixed the problem was plugging in a $20 scan code reader from amazon and erasing the memory in the sc430. i was getting ready to pull the back seat out and to clean faulty switches that tell the computer how the top is doing in its closing/opening operation. I hooked up the obd-11 with the dashboard open/close switch red light on all the time (fault), and a couple codes flashed (maybe the ones i needed to troubleshootr the switches) but in the main menu of the scanner no dtc codes were listed. so i elected to clear the memory since i had experience with this fixing an engine light on my avalon (faulty catalytic converter sensor). bam, i havent had any probs since. the problem started driving and stopping the car in traffic while in the middle of open/closing the roof foolishly.
Old 06-22-14, 11:41 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rcush65
i had the same problem and ultimately what fixed the problem was plugging in a $20 scan code reader from amazon and erasing the memory in the sc430. i was getting ready to pull the back seat out and to clean faulty switches that tell the computer how the top is doing in its closing/opening operation. I hooked up the obd-11 with the dashboard open/close switch red light on all the time (fault), and a couple codes flashed (maybe the ones i needed to troubleshootr the switches) but in the main menu of the scanner no dtc codes were listed. so i elected to clear the memory since i had experience with this fixing an engine light on my avalon (faulty catalytic converter sensor). bam, i havent had any probs since. the problem started driving and stopping the car in traffic while in the middle of open/closing the roof foolishly.
Wouldn't pulling the battery cable erase the memory?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Top is stuck partially opened/closed