SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Two Aftermarket Items I'm looking for:

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-03, 04:01 PM
CaliKid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two Aftermarket Items I'm looking for:

I know the Benz SL500 key can be programmed to open and close the top by remote....This is one feature I would really like to have on the SC430.

Also I remember a company had made a kit that allowed the SLK 230 to open/close the roof while driving up to 25MPH....I had seen a guy drive down a street doing this and it was amazing....almost made me want to go out and get that little car when it was the only game in town.

Are there any aftermarket kits for the SC430 out there?
Old 01-31-03, 04:23 PM
CaliKid
Driver School Candidate

I will post what I find....I'm going to track down the company that made the kit for the SLK.....I remember it was just some type of bypass circuit set.

As for the remote feature, it just seems very handy to be able to park your car and get out right away while the top does it's 25 sec business without you having to wait inside the car. I know that you have to hold the button in the SC and that the same as my Mitsu Spyder and I can honestly say that it gets a little tiresome holding and waiting to leave my car.

You know I've never been caught at a green light too....I only try that trick when I pull up to a light that I just watched turn to red
Old 01-31-03, 04:34 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Opening a converible top at 25 mph is not a good idea. In essence you're creating a parachute.

Wait for the light.
Old 01-31-03, 04:41 PM
CaliKid
Driver School Candidate

If I remember correctly it was limited to 25MPH because it had been tested to be safe up to 30MPH. Then again that was only for the SLK.

By the way; can the SC move it's top while traveling at all (I mean 1-5MPH)? In my Spyder I can move up to 4MPH and still work the top.
Old 01-31-03, 04:58 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Not very fast

I think the top will open/close under something like 2 mph. I know you don't have to be standing completely still.

Quick story...
In my everyday commute, I come to a merge lane that is virtually stopped for 1/2 mile before I get out onto open highway. Instead of sitting in the car fuming or trying to cut in at the last minute, I decided to make the most of it and drop the top. It usually works, but once the traffic starting moving again before the top completely retracted. Quite embarrassing to be rolling along at 15mph with the trunk 1/3 open and that little buzzer going!

Guess it would have been more embarrassing (and life threatening) to just sit there and wait till it went down!

Old 02-01-03, 07:10 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Battery

One problem with using a remote to raise/lower the top is that, as has been mentioned here before, if the battery runs down while the top is in operation, the top-computer will lose track of where the top is. Upon restoring a charge to the battery, the top system has to be reset, by lowering the top manually, which is a pain.

This is why all the books and salesmen stress the point that the best practice is to not operate the top without the engine running. Allowing a remote operation or even a key in the driver's door operation (like the Jag XK8) would lead to dead batteries and disappointed and inconvenienced owners.

With a rag-top this is no big deal, but with all the systems that operate the hardtop, you do not want to be put in that position.

So if you do install the remote top operator, the best bet would be to install the remote starter, also.

And the remote stopper, I guess.
Old 10-01-03, 12:56 AM
jmueller
Driver School Candidate

With the remote starter/remote top combination (at least the version from www.luxurymotorworks.com) you can not use the remote top after starting the car with or without the remote starter, so this proposal is not an option. However, I don't think the top is really usually soaking up that much juice. After I had it installed we cycled it up and down a half dozen times with no ill effect. The real problem with the auto top is that if the headlights are left in the auto position and then the top is activated they will stay on. I have run my battery down twice in two weeks of ownership, But I think I can retrain mysel to turn the lights off.
Old 10-08-03, 06:44 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally posted by CaliKid
If I remember correctly it was limited to 25MPH because it had been tested to be safe up to 30MPH. Then again that was only for the SLK.

By the way; can the SC move it's top while traveling at all (I mean 1-5MPH)? In my Spyder I can move up to 4MPH and still work the top.

Yes, it is 4 miles per hour.