SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Torn Beetween SC430 or C5 Corvette :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-14, 01:55 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Torn Beetween SC430 or C5 Corvette :)

Hey guys ,

never post in this section but I enjoy reading and checking out the pics.

Anyways my predicament is this, ive now recently got my daily cruiser , an 03 LS430, absolutely love it.

With a little luck and a little help from the man above I plan on getting a sports car as a weekend cruiser for this spring time.

I owned an sc400 for 5 years, im going to sell it and then make a choice ,,,either an SC430, or a C5 Corvette.

I am a die hard lexus fan, I just love the reliability, it really leaves you with a lot of confidence, and having a drop top coupe would really be cool.

On the flip side im really craving a 6 speed head turning vette, ive trolled their forums for a while and they seem to be relatively well built, and powerful, but they wont have that Lexus engineering and reliability.

Im sure at least a few of you guys were in this same predicament, just wondering what some of your thoughts might be.

SC430 = Pros:

-reliability
-drop top
-nice interior
-has rear seats
-its a lexus
-good gas mileage

Cons:

-not turning many heads in stock form
-automatic
-lacking aftermarket support in certain areas (so ive been told)
-not really a total sports car

C5 Vette= Pros:

-Head turning appearance
-drop top
-6 speed
-350HP + lots of power and torque
-more sports car orientated
-lots of aftermarket support

Cons:

-not a Lexus
-reliability and long life might be an issue
-not as good on Gas

The logical side of me tells me to go with the SC430, the other side of me tells me to go with the vette.

I still have a few months before spring, so just wondering what some of you guys think.

Thanks
Attached Images   
Old 01-16-14, 02:43 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! Apples and oranges. I love my SC; I am and not comfortable in a corvette but they always turn my eye. The SC gives you a sportier LS in a hard top convertible. The rear seat is really only good for kids and dogs or packages. If you want a real sport car go with the corvette. If you want a sporty touring car go with the SC.
Old 01-16-14, 03:43 PM
itiramisu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would choose the SC just because of its reliability in the long run (Looking for one myself when the warmer weather comes in). Although the Vett IS indeed a much more sportier car if that's what your after.
Old 01-16-14, 04:21 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I have an 02 SC430 and I am looking for a C6 Z06. I had a LS430 and I really should have kept it and get a C6 now, that way I have a great sedan and a legendary sports car as well. So my vote goes to the vette.
Old 01-16-14, 04:48 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on where you are in life too. I remember years ago I was pondering buying another Vette and a friend said, "For Gods sake do it now and get it out of your system. There's nothing more pathetic than a 55 year old guy driving a Corvette." I bought the SC430 and never looked back. But then I've owned one in the past so it wasn't a vision quest for me.

Drive what you like man! In fact, get BOTH!
Old 01-16-14, 04:59 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

c5z or bust.
Old 01-16-14, 05:04 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A tastefully modified SC430 will turn more heads than a vette. They're so reliable, you could go a few years older than you were thinking and put the savings into a body kit, wheels and coilovers. The end result will be better looking and classier in my opinion.

If your main priority is performance, go with the vette. Making an SC430 fast is expensive.
Old 01-16-14, 05:10 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
Wow! Apples and oranges
+1 One is more a harsh race car, the other a smooth luxury cruiser. Each are near the top of their category, but they are very different categories.
Old 01-16-14, 05:14 PM
mpezely
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your two choices both depreciate. Take a look at a 97/98 Porsche 993 S or Turbo. They not only hold there value, they are now going up in price. Just a thought if money is an issue.
Old 01-16-14, 06:18 PM
430SILVER
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my share of Corvettes in the past and enjoyed everyone of them. The SC 430 is my first Lexus.

When I drive a Corvette, I drive like an A-hole, constantly showing off with speed and A-hole maneuvers. After awhile it gets old. And not too comfortable.

When I drive the SC, I enjoy the luxury and comfort it offers. Everytime I drive it I like it even more.

SC 430 or C5? Either one you can't lose. Have fun with your new ride.
Old 01-16-14, 06:41 PM
mdpuff
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, after owning an 03 50th Anniversary Vett convertible 6 spd and an 02 SC430 I sold the Vett and plan on keeping the SC for a very long time. Don't get me wrong the vet is a beautiful car and a blast to drive but my 55 year old fat a$$ had a hard time getting out of the Vett, getting in wasn't a problem, gravity helped allot! lol Also the wife didn't like driving the Vett, (not that that was a negative) but the quality and quiet ride makes a difference to me. The Vett wasn't bad but you had allot more road noise with the top up, the top was manual so it was a pain having to jump out and drop the top then jump back in while waiting at a light. The Vett definitely turns heads but there are allot more Vett's out there than SC430's. I've had many people come up to me asking what it was and that they had never seen one before and the interior was absolutely beautiful. At my age and body shape (round) comfort and quiet is more important than power and handling. There is no comparison there, the Vett out performed and out handled the SC hands down but I love my SC and it will be around for a long time. There was a time long long ago when the Vett would have been my car of choice. I've had a few loud muscle cars in my day from a 428CJ Mustang to a modified Turbo Supra and lots in between. Guess I've out grown performance for comfort.

Just my 2 cent's
Old 01-16-14, 07:10 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

thanks a lot for the responses guys ,,all valid points.

I do agree that a modded SC can turn heads with the best of them, and then u got that reliability to match, but it lacks a 6 speed stick shift, anyways its a tough choice , im still open to opinions thank you
Old 01-16-14, 07:42 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Another thought: if you don't need a V8 and you want something faster than our old SC430s, and you need Lexus reliability, then maybe the IS350 convertible might work for you. It should beat our SCs in a drag race with a more modern V6 than our old technology V8s. I'm thinking bone stock for both cars. And it might handle better too if the regular ISs I have driven as loaners are anything to go by.

I personally would not get an IS convertible cos I don't really like the looks but it might check some boxes for you.

Or wait a year or two to see if Lexus makes a convertible version of the RC or RCF. Now that'll be something to turn heads.
Old 01-16-14, 08:42 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OBP
Another thought: if you don't need a V8 and you want something faster than our old SC430s, and you need Lexus reliability, then maybe the IS350 convertible might work for you. It should beat our SCs in a drag race with a more modern V6 than our old technology V8s. I'm thinking bone stock for both cars. And it might handle better too if the regular ISs I have driven as loaners are anything to go by.

I personally would not get an IS convertible cos I don't really like the looks but it might check some boxes for you.

Or wait a year or two to see if Lexus makes a convertible version of the RC or RCF. Now that'll be something to turn heads.
Thanks for the info, but in all honesty im not really a fan of the IS series, remember I already have an LS which to me is a superior car to the IS, ( at least in my opinion) sorry IS owners.

The SC , although I have to say I think lexus dropped the ball on the exterior design, it sstill a fantastic car, and with a body kit and wheels it can really enter that supercar status.

There is a guy here called viet something, I forget his name,,anyways he has a silver SC with a body kit and some nice 3 piece wheels, his car is stunning.

Also I am not rich by any means, I struggled for years to get my LS, and I will be struggling as well to get the SC or the vette, so a newer model Lex is definitely out of the question lol
Old 01-16-14, 08:49 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly, I would go with neither lol

Coming from someone who drove a C5 Z06 as a daily for about a month when i didnt have my lexus, I have a love hate relationship with it vettes. It is with out a doubt a FUN, FAST, extremely nice car and turns heads. I never got so many numbers from girls, or just people trying to take a ride in my life. It made potentially owning a Vette a really nice thing to have. That is until you have to get in and out of it everyday and having to roll around on the ground just to get out of the thing. (I'm Tall 6'5"). It honestly made me hate the thing really and look really stupid getting in and out of it. Also the interior is pretty outdated for its time. I felt like i was back in my 91 honda. There are very FEW options that the car comes with that really makes it feel like an up to date car. Almost very Bland

as for the SC430, not to stereotype the car in anyway but where I grew up, all the drug dealers in my old neighborhood owned SC430's lol. But honestly, its a nice car, a tad underpowered (IMO) and there is nothing really special about the car that really makes it fun. It has an underpowered V8 paired with an automatic transmission, an okay interior but really little to no aftermarket support. Not to mention the car looks kinda girly. I feel like lexus's target market with the SC430 was young rich suburban housewives. The SC430 is a sport CLASS car but not a true sports car. There are many people who made their SC430 look nice but I would want a car that looks BADASS stock or not

If i had to choose between the two, it would be vette but i would honestly look elsewhere too. If you can afford either car, chances are you can afford a lot better. If you really want the chevy, I would almost say go for a camaro as it is easier on the body/back (as in your actual body) over time. (and IM ONLY 26 YEARS OLD LOL)

Edit*
Also the reason why I had a vette for a month is because my friend owned one and hated taking his newly dating GF out in it so he would always borrow my IS lol. Shows you something about vette owners lol

Last edited by NYKnick101; 01-16-14 at 08:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Torn Beetween SC430 or C5 Corvette :)