SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Torn Beetween SC430 or C5 Corvette :)

Old 01-16-14, 09:32 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
Honestly, I would go with neither lol

Coming from someone who drove a C5 Z06 as a daily for about a month when i didnt have my lexus, I have a love hate relationship with it vettes. It is with out a doubt a FUN, FAST, extremely nice car and turns heads. I never got so many numbers from girls, or just people trying to take a ride in my life. It made potentially owning a Vette a really nice thing to have. That is until you have to get in and out of it everyday and having to roll around on the ground just to get out of the thing. (I'm Tall 6'5"). It honestly made me hate the thing really and look really stupid getting in and out of it. Also the interior is pretty outdated for its time. I felt like i was back in my 91 honda. There are very FEW options that the car comes with that really makes it feel like an up to date car. Almost very Bland

as for the SC430, not to stereotype the car in anyway but where I grew up, all the drug dealers in my old neighborhood owned SC430's lol. But honestly, its a nice car, a tad underpowered (IMO) and there is nothing really special about the car that really makes it fun. It has an underpowered V8 paired with an automatic transmission, an okay interior but really little to no aftermarket support. Not to mention the car looks kinda girly. I feel like lexus's target market with the SC430 was young rich suburban housewives. The SC430 is a sport CLASS car but not a true sports car. There are many people who made their SC430 look nice but I would want a car that looks BADASS stock or not

If i had to choose between the two, it would be vette but i would honestly look elsewhere too. If you can afford either car, chances are you can afford a lot better. If you really want the chevy, I would almost say go for a camaro as it is easier on the body/back (as in your actual body) over time. (and IM ONLY 26 YEARS OLD LOL)

Edit*
Also the reason why I had a vette for a month is because my friend owned one and hated taking his newly dating GF out in it so he would always borrow my IS lol. Shows you something about vette owners lol
thanks man ,,good points

I agree with the styling of the sc430, I didn't want to say it but yes, a lot of people have labeled it as a sort of girlish design, and I have never disagreed with them, but with that said it doesn't take much to turn it into cool looking machine.

I also agree it is more of a sport class car, and not an actual sports car, which might be nice , considering you get comfort , luxury as well as sport, but most of all its the Lexus reliability I just love, I truly loved my sc400 I think the sc430 will be even better.

As far as Camaros, I am not a fan of American cars, Camaros are quite bland in my opinion, they lack style and are in the 'kinda cool' category.

Ive been a member of the corvette forums and one of their complaints is the tight fit and uncomfortable cockpit, but considering it is not a daily driver, I have my leather sofa on wheels ( the LS) I really wont mind.
Old 01-17-14, 04:02 AM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
I also agree it is more of a sport class car, and not an actual sports car, which might be nice , considering you get comfort , luxury as well as sport, but most of all its the Lexus reliability I just love, I truly loved my sc400 I think the sc430 will be even better.

If reliability is a big thing for you, my 9 year old SC is living proof. Rides like a new car, hums like a new car cos I just did timing belt water pump and serpentine belt, amazes everyone who sees it cos they think it must be like one or two years old and it has not failed me in any serious way for all the six years I have owned it. Just upgraded lots of my lights/bulbs and it looks so satisfying to me personally. It is the least powerful car in our stable ( even our Acura 3.7 ltr V6 makes more hp) but I continue to want to keep it just because it feels so good and I have confidence in it.
Old 01-17-14, 07:43 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 430SILVER
I've had my share of Corvettes in the past and enjoyed everyone of them. The SC 430 is my first Lexus.

When I drive a Corvette, I drive like an A-hole, constantly showing off with speed and A-hole maneuvers. After awhile it gets old. And not too comfortable.

When I drive the SC, I enjoy the luxury and comfort it offers. Everytime I drive it I like it even more.

SC 430 or C5? Either one you can't lose. Have fun with your new ride.
Same here, exactly. Even my wife drove the Corvette like an A-hole. She never let anyone out accelerate her at lights.

I loved the power but hated getting in and out of it, uncomfortable and typical Chevy poor quality. It had water leaks, radio failed, AC control died, and wheels had to be refinished, all under warranty. It seemed I was at the dealer every 2-3 months with problems.

We now own 2 SC430s and love them more each day. My Red one gets lots of looks, especially when the top is down.

JR
Old 01-19-14, 09:44 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OBP
If reliability is a big thing for you, my 9 year old SC is living proof. Rides like a new car, hums like a new car cos I just did timing belt water pump and serpentine belt, amazes everyone who sees it cos they think it must be like one or two years old and it has not failed me in any serious way for all the six years I have owned it. Just upgraded lots of my lights/bulbs and it looks so satisfying to me personally. It is the least powerful car in our stable ( even our Acura 3.7 ltr V6 makes more hp) but I continue to want to keep it just because it feels so good and I have confidence in it.
yea reliability is always a big thing, I don't handle breakdowns well and no one likes forking over thousands of dollars in repairs.

I am already used to the 3uz engine from my LS and I find it has enough power for me

Originally Posted by FLYCT
Same here, exactly. Even my wife drove the Corvette like an A-hole. She never let anyone out accelerate her at lights.

I loved the power but hated getting in and out of it, uncomfortable and typical Chevy poor quality. It had water leaks, radio failed, AC control died, and wheels had to be refinished, all under warranty. It seemed I was at the dealer every 2-3 months with problems.

We now own 2 SC430s and love them more each day. My Red one gets lots of looks, especially when the top is down.

JR
Yea been on the vette forums for a while today , they got their share of issues, a lot of them have water leaks , and cant stop it , which leads to electrical issues, there are a few guys there actually calling it a lemon.
Old 01-19-14, 09:57 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

it's a 'to each his own' situation... and the answers you'll get.

I know guys that track & DD their C5/C6's all day long.

Do they have money in them to prevent all the leaks & wear? Sure.
Are they reliable? Sure.

Just like I know guys that have had SC430's and hated them.

It has back seats - for your backpack/briefcase maybe. It's got a big motor with decent power, but not crazy power/sound like that LSX which comes in the Transmarobirdette.

What do YOU want?

I personally would skip out on the C5, it's two generations old, looks very dated.

With that said, I like the styling of the SC430, but I'd never get one for the sheer impracticality and lack of 'power' in a supposed sports coupe.

In a vette/porsche/viper its about the simple, raw feel. In the Sc430, it everything except that... might as well get an LX470 lol

It's like the two cars no one 'really' wants anymore, and for the price.... eyyyyy nope.

17k can get you into either car, 'older' and higher mileage, which will be less than ideal examples of them. And you can get the Pebble Beach editions in the mid-high 20's now, but IMO, you're FAR better off with a C6 if you're considering the 20k mark.
Old 01-20-14, 01:52 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
it's a 'to each his own' situation... and the answers you'll get.

I know guys that track & DD their C5/C6's all day long.

Do they have money in them to prevent all the leaks & wear? Sure.
Are they reliable? Sure.

Just like I know guys that have had SC430's and hated them.

It has back seats - for your backpack/briefcase maybe. It's got a big motor with decent power, but not crazy power/sound like that LSX which comes in the Transmarobirdette.

What do YOU want?

I personally would skip out on the C5, it's two generations old, looks very dated.

With that said, I like the styling of the SC430, but I'd never get one for the sheer impracticality and lack of 'power' in a supposed sports coupe.

In a vette/porsche/viper its about the simple, raw feel. In the Sc430, it everything except that... might as well get an LX470 lol

It's like the two cars no one 'really' wants anymore, and for the price.... eyyyyy nope.

17k can get you into either car, 'older' and higher mileage, which will be less than ideal examples of them. And you can get the Pebble Beach editions in the mid-high 20's now, but IMO, you're FAR better off with a C6 if you're considering the 20k mark.
the c6's have a problem with the valve guides which can lead to catastrophic engine failure.

as far as the c5 looking dated, I disagree I still love the c2's c3's and even the c4's, they are a timeless design
Old 01-20-14, 09:39 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by itiramisu
I would choose the SC just because of its reliability in the long run (Looking for one myself when the warmer weather comes in). Although the Vett IS indeed a much more sportier car if that's what your after.
Having both, my SC is my favorite, a real chick car and the reliability cannot be beat!