SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Suspension - which coilovers to go for?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-14, 08:19 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Suspension - which coilovers to go for?

Hi Guys,

im sure this has been spoken about before but I thought I would ask my specific questions.. I dont know how many people find the sc's shocks any good but I find them to be stiff. I mean there smooth but any bump or crack in the road and I feel it, sometimes enough to rattle stuff. Whats wierd is that sometimes it feels comfy but sometimes stiff, hard to explain.

I would like to lower my car very slightly, perhaps an inch and half but also have more comfort. I remember Bacardi recommended blistein, but I dont know how much modification that requires so I would like to avoid custom work and if i ever swap my car I will take them out.. someone mentioned meister's? I have also seen megan's.. Im not looking for something expensive.. Decent but very nice and comfy

if you have any on please tell me what difference you felt and how much better the ride was, and if it solved any issues for you?

Thankyou !
Old 01-15-14, 02:02 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

generally, i don't think coilovers are the way to go if you're unhappy with how comfortable your suspension is -- they don't ride as luxuriously as oem suspension, which is tuned for comfort
Old 01-16-14, 08:13 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cheez80
generally, i don't think coilovers are the way to go if you're unhappy with how comfortable your suspension is -- they don't ride as luxuriously as oem suspension, which is tuned for comfort
thanks for your reply, I just find the shocks have like split personality.. on a nice smooth road there comfy and feels soft but as soon as there is crack in the road or bump it feels stiff.. There starting to make squeaking sounds also..

but your saying coilovers wont be more comfy? :S im just looking for something very smooth and comfortable, I dont mind sporty feeling but something that makes your car feel like its a $100k car.. but again im not looking to spend a crazy amount on this.

Thanks
Old 01-16-14, 11:57 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Hi Bimmer

I am with Cheez on this, I have Megans on mine and even on the lowest (softest) setting they are firmer than OEM.
I have converted to air now using the Megans and it is even firmer than before, but I am happy with a firm ride.
Coilovers are mainly to improve the handling rather than the ride.
If you drop the car using shorter spings on OEM shocks the ride will be firmer because the spring has less travel. With coilovers you can drop the car, but keep the same ride because the spring is moved up (or down) on the shock without affecting the length of it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-16-14, 03:14 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am at this point that I **** to lower my car and maintain a comfy ride. I have read a load of posts on this forum about coil overs only to give myself a headache and leaving me unsure which route to go. Like the OP related I too want to lower the car while bettering the smoothness of the ride.

The Tiens are attractive but my gosh they are expensive. Do the other coiloevers work just as well at a far cheaper price
Old 01-16-14, 03:43 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SrWilliams
I am at this point that I **** to lower my car and maintain a comfy ride. I have read a load of posts on this forum about coil overs only to give myself a headache and leaving me unsure which route to go. Like the OP related I too want to lower the car while bettering the smoothness of the ride.

The Tiens are attractive but my gosh they are expensive. Do the other coiloevers work just as well at a far cheaper price
like anything else in life, you get what you pay for. this is doubly true in the car modding game.
Old 01-16-14, 05:39 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

also, to reiterate -- seems like a lot of people think you can go lower without sacrificing ride comfort, but that's like having your cake and eating it too. the lower your car is, the stiffer the suspension needs to be to prevent the chassis from hitting the ground. comfort and lowering are mutually exclusive, generally. of course, your ride quality won't change much if you lower your car 0.5" with lowering springs, but coilovers are a different beast.
Old 01-16-14, 06:39 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also, to reiterate -- seems like a lot of people think you can go lower without sacrificing ride comfort, but that's like having your cake and eating it too. the lower your car is, the stiffer the suspension needs to be to prevent the chassis from hitting the ground. comfort and lowering are mutually exclusive, generally. of course, your ride quality won't change much if you lower your car 0.5" with lowering springs, but coilovers are a different beast.
Cheeze80:

Your post interests me greatly as I am not really up on shocks, springs, etc. I have a body kit on my car and so I cannot lower my car but so far. If you say lowering springs to lower the car a half of an inch will not alter the ride comfort then that is all I need. If I were to get the coil overs I would not lower the car past a 1/2 inch. Could you recommend a good setup with the lowering springs (shocks, etc if that is necessary) that would give me the most comfortable ride with the lowering springs. Or at least point me in the right direction and I will take it from there
Old 01-17-14, 07:50 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by WIL44
Hi Bimmer

I am with Cheez on this, I have Megans on mine and even on the lowest (softest) setting they are firmer than OEM.
I have converted to air now using the Megans and it is even firmer than before, but I am happy with a firm ride.
Coilovers are mainly to improve the handling rather than the ride.
If you drop the car using shorter spings on OEM shocks the ride will be firmer because the spring has less travel. With coilovers you can drop the car, but keep the same ride because the spring is moved up (or down) on the shock without affecting the length of it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Steve
Thanks for your reply Steve, definately makes sense! now this firm feeling that you get, how does it feel compared to the stock? I mean does the handling feel more solid? I mean rather then a floating boat feeling does the car feel more in its place?

Mo

I dont want to change springs as I dont know if I would want it more lower or higher, the nice thing about coilovers like you mention is you can always adjust.. Any issues you just raise.. So I definately think thats worth it..

But in terms of which coilovers, what would you guys recommend? Im looking at meisters, megan, bc (someone is selling on sc classifieds), bilstein (but I dont know if they sell a package for the sc, I dont know exactly what I will need).. Im avoiding having to put stuff together if you guys know what i mean? Just want something I can put in myself and perhaps get a shop to adjust?

and here is what i saw on meisters website,, im wondering if the other brands are similar specs to this, what do you guys recommend and for the best price..

Thanks guys

Suspension - which coilovers to go for?-coilover-1.png
Old 01-18-14, 01:14 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meister R Europa coilovers FTW, I have them on my SC.
Old 01-18-14, 05:33 AM
Anion
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

I honestly dont know if im going the coilover's route but i will speak my opinion..

im going Air Suspension.. however...

im doing the universal bag UAS over stock struts...

i want to keep my oem quality but just advancing the adjustments...my initial ride height with the Air Suspension will be .5 - 1 inch higher than stock height... but i can still lower my car if i want a bit more performance at any height i litterally want.

its like installing springs to lower my car 1 inch i can also do that with the air suspension...with the Accuair E Level i can comfortably do it.. but at the same time i can have the stance and parking lot dump also but i wont be driving that low at all...

so i can get bits of pieces of all worlds...some maybe against it but i dont track or anything with my SC..its my daily..you adjust your car to how it fits your way of driving...

i thought about putting the UAS bags over Megan Coilovers ... thats always an option for future reference for me.. thats if i plan on doing crazier stuff to my SC
Old 01-18-14, 06:51 AM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How much the size, quality and the specification of wheels/tires affect the quality of ride? I remember a post, someone changed to 17" wheel size with a fat tire had a smooth ride but was it floating? not sure.

Last edited by Prasha; 01-18-14 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-18-14, 09:41 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bimmer416
Hi Guys,

im sure this has been spoken about before but I thought I would ask my specific questions.. I dont know how many people find the sc's shocks any good but I find them to be stiff. I mean there smooth but any bump or crack in the road and I feel it, sometimes enough to rattle stuff. Whats wierd is that sometimes it feels comfy but sometimes stiff, hard to explain.
Do you still have run flats? I know not many people still have them but I thought I'd ask because what you describe sounds familiar.

My SC rode smooth except that any little bump or crack in the road caused my teeth to jar. I ditched the run flats and it made a world of difference.

JR
Old 01-18-14, 11:26 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by Anion
I honestly dont know if im going the coilover's route but i will speak my opinion..

im going Air Suspension.. however...

im doing the universal bag UAS over stock struts...

i want to keep my oem quality but just advancing the adjustments...my initial ride height with the Air Suspension will be .5 - 1 inch higher than stock height... but i can still lower my car if i want a bit more performance at any height i litterally want.

its like installing springs to lower my car 1 inch i can also do that with the air suspension...with the Accuair E Level i can comfortably do it.. but at the same time i can have the stance and parking lot dump also but i wont be driving that low at all...

so i can get bits of pieces of all worlds...some maybe against it but i dont track or anything with my SC..its my daily..you adjust your car to how it fits your way of driving...

i thought about putting the UAS bags over Megan Coilovers ... thats always an option for future reference for me.. thats if i plan on doing crazier stuff to my SC
Hi Anion

I am on air with Megans. The dampers have to be adapted. The bag has to be at the bottom of the rear damper because it will not fit within the arch at the top. I have sports bags, but you say you are using universal, maybe they are smaller in diameter.
The higher you go with the bag the stiffer the suspension gets and the lower you go the softer it gets, but then the bag can bottom out and the ride can be bone jarring.
Do a lot of research before you pull the trigger because in my opinion you may not be able to get the OEM ride quality you want.
Mine is certainly nowhere near OEM, but I am happy with that.
Zack @UAS will be able to answer your questions, but make it clear you want a soft ride.

cheers
Steve
Old 01-18-14, 11:48 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by bimmer416
Thanks for your reply Steve, definately makes sense! now this firm feeling that you get, how does it feel compared to the stock? I mean does the handling feel more solid? I mean rather then a floating boat feeling does the car feel more in its place?

Mo
Hi Mo

The car is a different animal with the coilovers, firm but comfortable with no 'floating boat' feeling and very little roll when cornering.
Dampers work in both directions, up and down. Sports dampers help to keep the car level when cornering hard by stopping the outside lifting and the inside dropping. Hope I have explained that okay!
I went over to air because I like to run the car fairly low, but I am able to lift it instantly with the touch of a button on the Accuair touchpad to get over speed bumps etc.

I have not heard of another SC with Accuair in the UK.

Cheers
Steve

Quick Reply: Suspension - which coilovers to go for?