SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What is the current recommended tire pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-03, 12:52 PM
Bluehinder
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the current recommended tire pressure?

Hi,

Is the current pressure recommendation 33 or 38? I heard something about a service bulletin changing from the door jam 33 to 38. Too many damaged rims?

Just changed my Bridgestone run flats to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Simply a huge difference, all for the better. Smooth, quiet, comfortable, not a hint of harshness, good steering input. I did it at 3,000 miles, wish I'd have done it new. Dealer payed half of the cost.

Blue
Old 01-29-03, 05:07 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I run mine at 35psi.........I figured it was right in the middle so I couldn't go wrong.

I remember having the MP Sports on my VR4. They were great ! The only other tire that came close were my Yokohama AVS Intermediates.
Old 01-29-03, 06:28 PM
bengreen
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire psi

TSB changes it from 33 to 38.

I called Bridgestone Tech rep. He says that Bridgestone and Lexus engineers got together on this change. Normally, you would think that more air would mean a harder ride...however, from an engineering standpoint (which I don't understand)..the additional air pressure does something to the struts, which in turn does something to the suspension..resulting in a "softer" ride. It works for me........with the added bonus of better handling. Go figure!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-03, 06:31 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Blue ...

How did you manage to get your dealer to spring for half the cost of tires? I'm seriously considering dumping these run-flats - I've had to have my dentist replace three fillings already.
Old 01-31-03, 07:56 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree Larry, go with 35....higher and lower both have its pros and cons...somewhere in the middle seems right to me
Old 01-31-03, 08:04 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default yeah.. I tend to agree

I had mine at 35 and started to show some uneven tire wear at 5k miles... my dealer put it up to 38psi and I felt every tiny imperfection on the road.. I left it at 38 over winter since my car is in storage right now anyway but I fully intend to put it back down to 35... what do I care if the tires wear out prematurely.... then I get to buy NON-run flats! WAHOO!!!!!

...so if you run at 35psi, just know that you are much more likely to have premature uneven tire wear..
Old 01-31-03, 08:22 AM
Larry
Lead Lap

I have 10,000 miles on my runflats and the damn things are STILL in great shape. I'm trying my best to wear them out so I can get my MP Sports. Hopefully at the same time I get the wheel conversion kit.
Old 01-31-03, 08:57 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default oh geez...

yeah.. so much for that little warning sticker about not getting past 10K miles on the run flats huh?

...I keep hearing about folks getting to 20k without a problem.. oh well... so be it..

I do need the runflats for my road trip since space will be at a premium...

We did a 5k road trip in my former Z3 Convertible and this SC430 has even less room in the trunk! ...but at least some extra crap can go in the back seat this time (Grin)

..the best yet was the 12K road trip in my former Infiniti G20.. that thing was loaded to the gills with stuff including 2 full size spares and other car repair stuff.... ...the kind of things you need when you drive to Alaska!

Old 01-31-03, 10:14 AM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Question non-runflats on stock wheels

So I'm assuming the Michelin Pilot Sports are non-runflats? Also, will non-runflats go on the stock wheels? Anyone had experience with this?
Old 01-31-03, 10:25 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default yes

non run flats mount just fine on the stock rims.. no worries or problems there... several folks here have done that already..... and plenty of people have put the SC430 rims on other Lexus vehicles with standard tires BTW.
Old 02-01-03, 10:19 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Hey Larry.....Let me borrow your car for the day.....I promise youll be buying new tires the next day. Speaking of....my rears are bald, but waiting til spring to buy some new tires.
Old 02-04-03, 07:51 AM
compgal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up a nail in my rear run-flat and drove it into my dealer. They repaired the tire. The next morning, the low pressure icon appeared again so I brought it back. After checking the repair, They decided to leave the car outside for four hours (they did give me a car) to recheck the tire pressure because they couldn't find anything wrong. I had originally told the service person that I had put 36psi air but he siad that was too high. The bottom line was that when they put air in, in the service bay, the differential between inside an out was about 40 degrees. They finally agreed with me that 36 pounds was the correct pressure for winter.
Old 02-05-03, 11:15 AM
bengreen
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PSI for Non run-flats

I assumed that the LEXUS SC430 TSB, which raised the psi from 33 to 38, was directed at the RUN-FLATS....which were the 'forced option on 99% of the 2002's

Am switching to the Non-RF Michelin Sports....Would you think that that Michelin/sc430 combination would also be at 38 psi, regardless what Michelin recommends???......Interesting that the model of car would determine the psi of the tire....comments?????
Old 02-05-03, 02:20 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

LexSC has a "bald rear"..heh-heh-heh-heh-heh-heh.

Ok........so much for Beavis and Butthead. Whatever happened to those guys anyway ? I really hated them.
Old 02-05-03, 02:32 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

> I really hated them.<
Even more than Rem and Stimpy? (Or was it Ren and Stimpy?)

Gimme Duckman and Cornfed any day.

Are we off-topic?

Quick Reply: What is the current recommended tire pressure?