SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

10 Cree 50W Backup light mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-13, 02:59 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 10 Cree 50W Backup light mod

We have seen the backup mod to first LED's then a 5 or 7W CREE which proved to be much brighter than the LED's. For completeness sake I include a picture that compared the OEM bulb with the 28 LED. Wil44 and other showed the CREE mod.

I was about to go the CREE route and saw the new multiple CREE lights at iJDMToy. I selected the 50W 10 CREE light which has 2 5W LEDs on the end which shine through a lens, and 8 CREEs around the side. I knew the fitment would be tight but I wanted to try. There is an inner lens in the backup light module that disperses better the light from the OEM bulb. However it doesn't let the longer multiple CREE light to mount and furthermore I want the benefit of the undispersed light from the CREE top lens. So I drilled a hole through the inner lens to the CREE light would just go through.

Tools -
  • Socket Wrench to remove the backup light module - 2 screws.
  • Small diam plastic/metal bit to drill a starter hole.
  • 5/8" Wood flat but to drill a 5/8" hole.
  • Dremel flex-hose with sanding tool to enlarge the 5/8" hole
  • 5/8" O-ring (optional) to seal better the new light in the hole.

Note - the outer lens in sealed from the environment but the inner lens is not so the O-ring really doesn't do anything.

Step:

1. disconnect and more OEM Bulb
2. Remote two screws and remove Backup module - slips out toward the front of the car.
3. Drill small starter hole as centered as possible / check centering / redrill if necessary
4. Drill 5/8" hole using the final starter hole - drill slowly and carefully so as not to crack the plasic.
5. Widen the hole using the Dremel sanding tool. The end of the flex hose just barely fits in the bulb socket. Test frequently with the CREE for fitment.
6. When bulb fitment is good, replace Backup module and insert CREE.

Enjoy.

Comparison pictures included.
Attached Thumbnails 10 Cree 50W Backup light mod-bulbcomp.jpg   10 Cree 50W Backup light mod-innerlens.jpg   10 Cree 50W Backup light mod-hole.jpg   10 Cree 50W Backup light mod-jenlarge.jpg   10 Cree 50W Backup light mod-result2.jpg  

Last edited by SlvBullet; 12-26-13 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-26-13, 03:01 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Default OEM vs LED comparison

Picture showing difference between original OEM bulb and the 28 LED
Attached Thumbnails 10 Cree 50W Backup light mod-result1.jpg  
Old 12-31-13, 03:57 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Do you have a picture comparing the OEM to the 10 Cree? Does it provide better light coverage when backing up?
Old 12-31-13, 10:05 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Harold57
Do you have a picture comparing the OEM to the 10 Cree? Does it provide better light coverage when backing up?
I'll take one tomorrow night. The 10 CREE unit certainly light up the pavement and what's behind the vehicle much more than the OEM.
Old 01-01-14, 06:01 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

As requested. The CREES light up the whole driveway.
Attached Thumbnails 10 Cree 50W Backup light mod-creevsoem.jpg  
Old 01-02-14, 06:38 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Very nice mod.

May have to try this one.

I've always felt the OEM backup lights were pretty awful.

I tried LEDs but, while they were brighter, they didn't seem to last very long (<6 months and they were both dead).

Can you post a part # or a direct link to the bulbs you used? I'm having difficulty navigating around the iJDMToy.com website.
Old 01-02-14, 10:50 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Wow, definitely better.

Habious, you can also find the Cree LEDs on ebay if you know all the proper descriptions for it.

SlvBullet, are those T10 mounts? Do you get bulb errors on the dash or did you have to add resistors to prevent that?

Last edited by Harold57; 01-02-14 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-02-14, 10:56 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

I'm guessing that you should be able to just enter "50 W, 10 led Cree, T20" and find a match.

Here's a description from one on ebay:

Socket Type: T20
Power: theoretical output-50W,operating output-8W
Voltage: DC12~24V
Beam Angle: 360 degree
Lumen: 700lm
Current: 700±50mA
Color temperature: Pure White 5500K~6500K
Size(length*diameter):58mm*18mm/2.3inch*0.7inch approx
With projector lens on top
Certified by CE & ROHs
Apply to: turn signal light, reverse backup light,tail stop/brake light
Features:
Super bright white, blinding light
Great performance of light gathering
With overload, short circuit and over temperature protection
Life span: 30,000~50,000 hours

Some kind of car may need to connect the LED resistors to fix the dash board error or flicker.

Last edited by Harold57; 01-03-14 at 12:47 PM. Reason: corrected T10 to T20 per SlvBullet
Old 01-02-14, 07:48 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, definitely better.

Habious, you can also find the Cree LEDs on ebay if you know all the proper descriptions for it.

SlvBullet, are those T10 mounts? Do you get bulb errors on the dash or did you have to add resistors to prevent that?
iJDMToy is a club sponsor so it is always good to give them a shot - they also sell a lot on flea bay but under a different name. The bulb is for a T20 or 7444 socket. No dash lights with bulbs - that is only for the taillights.. No I did not use any resistors - they are never on really long and I dont see any flickering. The resistors are for the case when you want to use these bulbs for turn signals because they go into a very fast flash vs normal turn signal flashing rate.

You will find on the iJDM website this bulb -

iJDMTOY 50W Max-Capacity High Power 7440 7444 T20 LED Bulbs, powered by 10-piece 5W CREE R4 XP-G High Power LED Lights

Search under type of bulb 7444

NOTE - these are NOT plug and play because they are too long thus the mod above. I did find a bulb with 1 cree at the end and some on the sides for 30w that do fit but I wanted the brightness of the double cree on the end. Furthermore this bulb style has a lens at the end which I didnt want to cover with the inner lens diffuser.

Good luck
Old 01-02-14, 10:23 PM
Emackny
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice mod! Those are bright..
Old 01-03-14, 11:55 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Thanks SlvBullet, all good information. If one of mine burns out, I'll definitely consider using one of these.

(I corrected my post above to reflect the proper size mentioned by SlvBullet.)

Last edited by Harold57; 01-03-14 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-11-14, 04:06 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 10 CREE 50W Backup light mod

I purchased a set today. The gentleman at the store lite the bulbs up for me and I must say these bulbs are super bright. They also have a promotion with a 15% discount. Here is a screen shot of the web page. If you enter 338 in the search box and select enter on their web page it will take you right to the page that provides all the pertinent details, price, etc.
Attached Thumbnails 10 Cree 50W Backup light mod-image.jpg  
Old 02-12-14, 05:29 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 10 Cree 50W Backup light mod

I completed my mod today and the 10 Cree lights are much much brighter than the OEM bulbs. I also used a 3/4 inch Forstner bit since it eliminates the use of the Dremel with sanding wheel. The work is removing the plastic shavings left behind in the lens after boring the hole in the defuser interior lens. I utilized a vacuum to suck out the shavings, plus masking tape rolled into a six inch straw-like tube with the ends pinched to pick up the remaining shavings while manipulating the lens.
Old 02-12-14, 07:37 PM
sdclique
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool info DarthSid! Thanks for sharing. Does anyone happen to have pics with one of the Cree 7w's with a drilled lens vs. non drilled? I just picked up some bulbs but I'm a little hesitant to bore it out...
Old 02-12-14, 08:08 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sdclique
Cool info DarthSid! Thanks for sharing. Does anyone happen to have pics with one of the Cree 7w's with a drilled lens vs. non drilled? I just picked up some bulbs but I'm a little hesitant to bore it out...
There's a thread by Wil44 showing the 7W Cree. I though that these bulbs have a lens to help focus the light outwards - but the it gets diffused by the internal lens. By cutting the hole, the Cree (s) on top really light the rear and in my case there's another 8 Crees to provide diffused light from the entire lens. I can't imagine I will sell this car so dont mind some customization that is irreversble.

Quick Reply: 10 Cree 50W Backup light mod