SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Door Sill Scuff Plate Light

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-13, 04:33 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Door Sill Scuff Plate Light

Does anyone have any experience with changing the light in the scuff plate that reads "Lexus?" I tried to search for a thread that I swear I saw a few months ago and can't find it now; or possibly it was on some random webpage. I'm wondering if it is possible to change it from the OEM yellow color to bright white like the LED's that I've installed in my interior. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-22-13, 04:51 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I had bought a set of new door sills that were for the 2002 neiman marcus silver cloud car. The lights were neon blue. I believe I had posted photos of them because I think the bulbs were LED. I will look more closely Thurs. These were for a 2002 and maybe there not LED .I will get back to you
Old 05-22-13, 04:58 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...archid=2012074

Here is the original thread on the door sill .I had contributed to it but I will still take photos and post.
Old 05-22-13, 05:15 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Default sill

Here is a pic I had on hand I will take more to show you the back side
Attached Thumbnails Door Sill Scuff Plate Light-sills1.jpg  
Old 05-22-13, 08:14 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mrblister
Here is a pic I had on hand I will take more to show you the back side
MrBlister, that's awesome! Yeah, I'm really hoping we're able to change the color. Thanks for all the help and I look forward to the pics. Since you'll have them off the car, maybe you can just guess on what you think it would take to change the bulb, or even the type of bulb? A photo will go a long way too. Thanks.
Old 05-24-13, 07:03 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I think that they're electroluminescent material. The color cannot be changed without replacing the entire strip of material with one of a different color. The material is made to fluoresce by converting 12 VDC to 120 VAC using a power inverter.

Old 05-24-13, 07:08 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Default door sills

Originally Posted by Bon
I think that they're electroluminescent material. The color cannot be changed without replacing the entire strip of material with one of a different color. The material is made to fluoresce by converting 12 VDC to 120 VAC using a power inverter.

Bon you may be right. I have to look at the spare set I have. I kind of remember that there was some sort of bulb visible from the back. I will take a look.
Old 05-24-13, 12:12 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

I've seen a build on an RX300 where someone added door sill lights to their car that didn't have any (pre existing model before they were standard on the RX). So they bought 2002 SC430 side sills and then made their own using the SC430 lamp housing and light coupled to their OEM door sills, and from what i remember it is an LED bulb inside a sealed plastic, waterproof "box." with etched plastic. I tried to search for that thread but can't find it now and so I thought I would post this thread. MrBlister, any photo of the back would be awesome, and if you can give you're best guess on how to get into it to change/modify the bulb. I'm sure it's a bulb from what i remember, but its a two lead soldered bulb, so one would have to crack open the sealed "box." Anyway, looking forward to seeing where this leads. Thanks.
Old 05-24-13, 01:19 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

I will take some pics and see what I think you need to gain access. Have to do it after the holiday
Old 12-22-13, 05:21 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bon

How did you get that out of the sealed sill?. I would love to change the yellow to blue.

Last edited by SlvBullet; 12-22-13 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-23-13, 08:57 PM
reelbb
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
How did you get that out of the sealed sill?. I would love to change the yellow to blue.
I just had mine out a few weeks ago to repair the top. If I remember correctly, there are some metal tabs on the underside that can be released. I got lazy and just put some 3m over the top and tucked the excess into the sides. But I think it may be possible to undo the tabs and lift the metal part upwards.
Old 12-23-13, 11:57 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

I take my sills off pretty often for the rear speaker swap and even installed the video cable under it on the passenger side for my reverse cam and media player (NAVIKS) and am 85% sure that the lighted part is one complete housing that would require serious modification to change the color. If I'm wrong, I would love to hear a step by step guide or photo guide to change it.
Old 12-24-13, 12:54 AM
srqmark
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I take my sills off pretty often for the rear speaker swap and even installed the video cable under it on the passenger side for my reverse cam and media player (NAVIKS) and am 85% sure that the lighted part is one complete housing that would require serious modification to change the color. If I'm wrong, I would love to hear a step by step guide or photo guide to change it.
You are correct ShawnOk. I have taken one of my sills apart when I switched out the Ecru interior for the black interior. The light housing itself is sealed. The housing has a little light bulb inside. I tried taking it apart, but it is impossible without destroying the housing itself.
Old 12-26-13, 02:13 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I ended up destroying one side but found a used one on EBay to replace it. I will continue to experiment with the damaged one ... I opened up the sill from underneath and cut a wire and damaged the light unit. I was able to extract some wire from the sealed unit and solder the cut wire back together but it still doesn't light up.

I see in my case (2004) the metal sill is attached to the base board with 3m double side tape and it seems the sealed light unit is in turn stuck to the metal part also with double side tape. The base board has places for metal tabs but Lexus must have moved to the tape. I expect the actual light is white and only the color of the lens changes. I would be straight forward to use a short strip of LED's vs. the original light box but the lens would have to be changed as well to get the desired color.

Using piano wire or fishing line it might be possible to remove the metal place as is done with emblems allowing for the lens and underlying light to be replaced. I'll try that as the next step and let you all know. Along the way try to fix the light to just to understand what I broke.

Learning often costs something and I know lots of the member spend a lot of buck trying different options for many of the mods posted here so it's part of the fun.
Attached Thumbnails Door Sill Scuff Plate Light-doorsill.jpg