SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 stereo head unit direct fit replacement info needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-13, 01:42 PM
marty99
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default SC430 stereo head unit direct fit replacement info needed

I'd like to get the head unit swapped out of our 2002 SC430. I've pulled the radio to custom install an ipod jack, and realize I'd rather pull the unit permanently, swapping it with something modern (GPS, DVD, Bluetooth, etc).

Does anyone know what the pre-amp gain voltage is into the Mark Levinson amp?

Also need the wiring pin-out details to hook up the aftermarket. I'm not certain, but suspect the stereo has 3 channels pre-amp out; A) Front L/R B) Rear L/R C) Sub out

Any help is always appreciated. I'll do a tutorial as I work and post photos.

Have a great Christmas everyone!
Marty
Old 12-19-13, 07:50 PM
SC0TT
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marty99
I'd like to get the head unit swapped out of our 2002 SC430. I've pulled the radio to custom install an ipod jack, and realize I'd rather pull the unit permanently, swapping it with something modern (GPS, DVD, Bluetooth, etc).

Does anyone know what the pre-amp gain voltage is into the Mark Levinson amp?

Also need the wiring pin-out details to hook up the aftermarket. I'm not certain, but suspect the stereo has 3 channels pre-amp out; A) Front L/R B) Rear L/R C) Sub out

Any help is always appreciated. I'll do a tutorial as I work and post photos.

Have a great Christmas everyone!
Marty
Hey marty,

Theres a bunch of threads regarding the ML setup that u can find by googling sc430 amp however, I do recommend to purchase a 5 channel amp and head unit and power your speakers through the aftermarket amp and sub. Also get 6.5 speakers aling with adaptors. This is much better for the money and also the ml amp stays due to the factory nav which requires that. Check out crutchfield or give em a call to talk to a live rep. They can tell you what fits... for free.

Im currently working on replacing my headunit and front and rear speakers and adding 3 subs (1 8" and 2 12" jl audio subs) on my sc430. Just waiting for It to be out of the shop.

-sc
Old 12-20-13, 07:04 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Definitely check out the threads here. Many of us who've done this have used the interface by Beatsonic to preserve the functionality of the steering wheel controls, nav audio, etc. and issues of gains and loads are moot.
Old 12-21-13, 02:30 PM
akdash1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this in another thread but it has most of the information you need.

"It's possible to splice in a line input fairly easily by accessing the wiring near the harness under the head unit. The head unit doesn't need to be removed and it takes about a minute to remove the center console. Most importantly, their is no noticable* signal quality loss. Oh yeah, and the head unit volume and equalizer still work.

Left Front + Red Line level output
Left Front - Green Line level output
Right Front + Black Line level output
Right Front - White Line level output

I'll elaborate on the process another time, but basically, you want to cut these wires and attach each end to seperate RCA cables. One cable will be attached to the side leaving the headunit (input) and one will be going to the amp (output). Attach the cables to either an equalizer or a line driver (white/red cable for 12v power, gray for remote), or anything that will allow you to have two inputs. Adding a 7 band equalizer (or 4, or 5, if your not as familiar with sound) can do wonders for this system if you know how to use it. Plus they only cost about $60. If you don't mind not having the cd player/radio, you can skip having a secondary unit and just connect your auxilary cable straight to your ipod or whatever. You will need something that converts the signal to balanced differential. I forgot what they're called but they don't cost much, but they don't add gain to make uo for the increased headroom you get with a balanced input.

It's also possible to do this from the amp, which is what I did. I ran the cables under the back seat and it's completely hidden, the input cable just comes up by the side of passenger seat.

*** because the signal has been converted to balanced without adding gain, you will technically lose volume and there will be a minimal amount of quality loss degradation due to increase in headroom without increasing the gain. Unbalanced signals only use the positive channel in the cable, where as balanced sends an inverse of the signal through the negative channel. The purpose is to cancel out interference, but it also means the signal will be twice as strong. For example, a 12v line would actually be sending a 24v total.

This is another way a signal can be converted to balanced and adding make-up gain. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...te-RF-BLD.html "

Last edited by akdash1; 12-21-13 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-27-13, 05:25 AM
Moondog
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I changed my entire until, wiring harness...added bluetooth, XM radio and upgraded the entire sound system. It was somewhat costly as the wiring harness alone was about $600...but, well worth the money. I would read through all of the posts and figure out what you would like to do. Have fun!