SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

HELP! 03 SC won't unlock. Can't open door

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-13, 06:12 AM
GregZ1969
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! 03 SC won't unlock. Can't open door

Neither key fob will work (yes batteries are good). We use both keys everyday, but I sent my daughter to store and she calls me and says the key won't open the door using the Fob or manually. I bring her my key and I can't get in the car either. When you press any button on either Fob Absoulutly nothing happens except the lil red light on the Fob blinks. When using the key manually turning to the left does nothing, turning to the right causes a click that you can hear and feel but the door is still locked. Nothing has changed.
The only thing different that she did was when she got out she hit the lock button on the door instead of using the Fob once she was out. ( she's not use to using Fob because her 93 SC400 Fobs don't work).
So what happened here, what broke? Or did somehow she activate some Anti-Theft system or something? What do I need to do?
Old 12-16-13, 09:53 PM
mdpuff
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This might be a real long shot (most likely is) but here goes. A few years ago I had a 84 Toyota Supra, (quite a few years ago) My 14 year old son was in the car (he's 31 now) and he hit the door lock button on the console and got out. Next day went to jump in the car and go and nothing, battery dead??? So of course what do I do, pop the hood, (keys on ignition) close the door and proceed to give it a boost, as soon as I hooked up the cables doors locked and I'm stuck outside. Get out the coat hanger and start trying to get in but every time I unlock the door it relocks again. What had happened was the power door lock button stuck in the lock position and killed the battery over night. As soon as I put power to it I was locked out. Had to let the battery die so I could unlock and get in. Just touched the lock button lightly and it popped back and never happened again. Might be worth a shot?
Old 12-17-13, 09:21 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

GregZ, has anyone worked on the door panels recently? When I was replacing my speakers I know I accidentally forgot to set the locking mechanism arm correctly on the passenger side and the door would always remained "locked." Since it was in lock position, it made the ECU think there was some error and would keep the door in the locked position all the time on the passenger side but only unlock the driver side. The key fob would serve no function and the driver side door would be the only door that would unlock manually. Mechanically the passenger side couldn't be unlocked since the arm was "pinched." If this happened on the driver side, then all the doors would remained locked. Could that be an issue in your case?
Old 05-10-16, 09:13 PM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

anyone ever figure this out? happened to me the other day. couldn't start the car for like half an hour because key could be recognized. after half an hour or so of trying, it suddenly recognized it and worked
Old 05-11-16, 01:56 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by tuterz
anyone ever figure this out? happened to me the other day. couldn't start the car for like half an hour because key could be recognized. after half an hour or so of trying, it suddenly recognized it and worked
Sounds like you may need a new key fob battery unless two keys were doing the same thing.
Old 05-11-16, 05:27 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Respectfully disagree with BGW70. The key being recognized is an immobilizer issue. The key has a RFID chip energized by a pick up antenna coil near the ignition. The battery in the key is for the remote door/window opening only and does not involve the immobilizer.

When you say it was not recognized, I assume you were checking the security light in addition to cranking the car. That light will tell you whether the key is recognized.

Having said all that, I can't say why sometimes the car will not accept the key. It happened to me last week. Same key that started the car an hour earlier, no longer worked.

An advantage of the Luxlink system is you can have it start the car (using its buried key for the immobilizer), then use your "not recognized" key to unlock the steering and drive away.

(The ignition coil is only active when the Luxlink is triggered, so the system does not reduce security)
Old 05-11-16, 07:15 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Respectfully disagree with BGW70. The key being recognized is an immobilizer issue. The key has a RFID chip energized by a pick up antenna coil near the ignition. The battery in the key is for the remote door/window opening only and does not involve the immobilizer.

When you say it was not recognized, I assume you were checking the security light in addition to cranking the car. That light will tell you whether the key is recognized.

Having said all that, I can't say why sometimes the car will not accept the key. It happened to me last week. Same key that started the car an hour earlier, no longer worked.

An advantage of the Luxlink system is you can have it start the car (using its buried key for the immobilizer), then use your "not recognized" key to unlock the steering and drive away.

(The ignition coil is only active when the Luxlink is triggered, so the system does not reduce security)
Thanks Johnny, I always thought the key made the connection to the fob, where two things where happening, RF for the door locks and immobilizer for the ignition.
I have performed the setup for both using tech stream.
Now if that is the case, I can remove my key fob and still start the car because the key purchased from amazon has the chip embedded in the key.
Old 05-11-16, 08:09 AM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake

That is correct, the security light was still blinking. Also when putting the key in the ignition, the steering wheel doesn't move down like it should. When turning the key over, it would just crank but not fire up. About half an hour later, I tried the key fob to unlock the doors and it worked and the car started right up.
Old 08-05-20, 10:00 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

This is weird. The OP never came back and told us what was the cause. This’s odd when suddenly both keyfobs do not recognize the vehicle.
The only thing I can think of is the car battery was completely discharged, hence no power for anything.
What do you think?
Old 08-05-20, 11:14 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 332 Likes on 266 Posts

LOL. Bored much? Looking back at four year old post causes Jack to be a very dull boy... But to answer the question, it looks like they covered the possible failures. I would have disconnected the battery and tried again, if I could have figured out how to open the hood! 😁

Paul
Old 08-05-20, 06:09 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

Haha, I can’t be bored with my SC. I don’t think anyone knew the answer to the OP question. I will do the experiment to see my theory is valid by disconnect the battery terminals then use the key to open the doors. I bet it won’t.