SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

BlueTrip Bluetooth Adapter-Alternator Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-13, 05:22 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BlueTrip Bluetooth Adapter-Alternator Problems

I installed a Griffin BlueTrip Bluetooth adapter in my 04 SC that remains powered by my electric socket and am now having alternator problems. Does anyone know if the BlueTrip might be drawing on the alternator and running it down?
Old 12-14-13, 09:28 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Rustito,

What are the symptoms you are experiencing which lead you to believe you are having alternator problems? I believe AutoZone (or their competitors) have a machine to perform a free diagnostic check, including checking the alternator. I had this done once, they give you a print out with the results.

Back to the BlueTrip adapter, I have been using mine for 6+ months and have had absolutely no issue. Mine is plugged into the cigarette lighter adapter in the dash, which means it only gets power when the ignition is in the 'ACC' (accessory) mode, or when the engine is running. I do not believe it gets power when the engine is entirely off. That being said, I also don't believe the BlueTrip adapter has very high current/power requirements.

Based on my (uneducated) opinion, I do not think the BlueTrip would be the culprit here. Do you have any aftermarket electronics on the SC430, perhaps a LuxLink or some non-OEM security system?
Old 12-14-13, 01:21 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the response. Just had battery and alternator checked and all is good. I get anxious abt battery because I have had issues in the past when I hadn't driven the car for awhile during the winter but now it is on the tender since weather is bad and I am driving it less.

I do realize it was a long shot thinking the bluetrip might affect anything, however, it is always worth checking to see if anyone using one has had any issues. Actually the bluetrip set-up is a great solution for older cars without built in Bluetooth. I am totally happy with mine.