SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Rear Quarter Window Mod??

Old 07-21-16, 02:15 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Hey all, going to attempt this mod soon enough with some help. Does anyone have a full complied DIY, start to finish?
Old 07-21-16, 02:16 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Hey all, going to attempt this mod soon enough with some help. Does anyone have a full complied DIY, start to finish?
Shawn pm me your email address.
Old 07-22-16, 09:28 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

It's an interesting mod, but make sure you know what you are getting into. A forum search will reveal some considerations such as possible seal damage if you do the windows in the wrong order. But I think the following, posted by Habaeous, is the main reason I decided not to do this mod. Too much of a hassle, plus I already worry about the Rube Goldberg nature of the top.

One downside to the independent control over the rear windows is...it temporarily locks out the folding top.

If the top is up, and you roll the rear windows down, the only way to get the top working again is to A) put the windows back up into the correct position and then B) turn the car off and back on again.

Ditto for putting the windows up with the top down. Only way to get the top to go up is to the put the windows back down and cycle the ignition.

This is due to how the top computer works. When you manually take control of the rear windows, the top computer sees that the windows moved without it's say-so, and considers that a fault. Once it detects the fault, it stops monitoring. Basically, it gives up.
The following users liked this post:
NachoNYC (09-08-23)
Old 07-22-16, 09:46 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
It's an interesting mod, but make sure you know what you are getting into. A forum search will reveal some considerations such as possible seal damage if you do the windows in the wrong order. But I think the following, posted by Habaeous, is the main reason I decided not to do this mod. Too much of a hassle, plus I already worry about the Rube Goldberg nature of the top.

I have the 1/4 window mod from luxlink remote top and start module. Yes there is the issue of confusing the tops ecu when you use the 1/4 window mod. I find it no problem to re-start the car to clear the issue . I generally use the rear window mod when my top is up so I am not concerned with the extra step. Kind of get used to it.
Eathon (11-20-20)
Old 07-22-16, 10:10 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Hey Johnny and Mr blister,

I don't have this issue with the relays .. meaning I don't have to recycle and even if I lower quarter windows, I can lower top anytime and it works as it detects windows lowered already
Eathon (11-20-20)
Old 07-22-16, 10:38 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bimmer416
Hey Johnny and Mr blister,

I don't have this issue with the relays .. meaning I don't have to recycle and even if I lower quarter windows, I can lower top anytime and it works as it detects windows lowered already
so if your top is up and you put your 1/4 windows down from your relays. Can you lower the top ? and by reverse if your top is down and you raise your rear 1/4 windows up can you raise your top with out a issue. If so you can run the risk of wearing out your rubber trim if windows in rear are up and you initiate the top up with out lowering windows !
Old 07-22-16, 11:10 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mrblister
so if your top is up and you put your 1/4 windows down from your relays. Can you lower the top ? and by reverse if your top is down and you raise your rear 1/4 windows up can you raise your top with out a issue. If so you can run the risk of wearing out your rubber trim if windows in rear are up and you initiate the top up with out lowering windows !
Yes so if i lower my quarter windows, i can lower top anytime after as it detects the windows opens and it works flawlessly, but being the person i am i put windows back in original position before i do anything else but yes it works fine.

And for reverse i only tried twice or 3 times at the start and it lowers the quarter windows before bringing top back. I don't like bringing my quarter windows up so didn't use that way after.

Eathon (11-20-20)
Old 07-22-16, 12:25 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Thank you all for the info. From my understanding for everyone's discussion. I believe there are two ways to do this mod. First is the Luxlink addon Window Module. The second is the relay option. Using the LuxLink addon Window Module, causes the cycling of the top and an engine restart. Using the relay option, as Bimmer has accomplished, does not require the engine restart. Is this correct?
Old 07-22-16, 12:32 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Thank you all for the info. From my understanding for everyone's discussion. I believe there are two ways to do this mod. First is the Luxlink addon Window Module. The second is the relay option. Using the LuxLink addon Window Module, causes the cycling of the top and an engine restart. Using the relay option, as Bimmer has accomplished, does not require the engine restart. Is this correct?
Yes with relays you don't need to recycle roof. Also I mean I don't know why anyone would want to play with the top .. if you do this mod just take the extra second to role windows to there original position before moving top. I know it works 100% if you leave them down and move top and have used it many times but I didnt see why I can't let the top do its normal function if you know what I mean. Just to keep safe and peace of mind
Old 07-24-16, 08:26 AM
TarheelNic
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes with relays you don't need to recycle roof. Also I mean I don't know why anyone would want to play with the top .. if you do this mod just take the extra second to role windows to there original position before moving top. I know it works 100% if you leave them down and move top and have used it many times but I didnt see why I can't let the top do its normal function if you know what I mean. Just to keep safe and peace of mind
Bimmer,
I'm close to installing the Relay-Modification for my quarter windows. This thread is full of conflicting info regarding the alarm-buzzer/chime, and I'd really appreciate it if you could help clarify a few things. So, would you please do me a favor when you have a chance and test the following sequences and report your findings, --- before i start tearing into the trunk wiring harnesses to make this mod?:

1. With the roof closed, all windows up, and car running: Open roof; then bring all 4 windows up (including qtr-windows), and then drive car above 20 MPH.
(Did the roof alarm-chime come on?);
(Did the red light on the open/close switch illuminate?;

2. With the roof still open and car still running, and all four windows still up: Close roof w/o lowering the qtr windows first (obviously stop the roof closing if the qtr windows don't go down automatically with the main windows. I don't want you to damage your qtr windows.);
(Did the qtr windows go down before the roof started closing?);

3. With the roof closed and car running: Drive car above 20 MPH., and THEN lower all four windows;

4. With the roof still closed and car still running, and all four windows still down: Open roof with the open-button;
(Did the qtr windows come back up automatically after the roof closed?);

Some members seem to be reporting alarms, --or having to restart the car to reset the roof ECU -- when they manually operate the Qtr windows, while you seem to not be having these issues.

From my research on the roof ECU wiring diagrams, there doesn't appear to be any wires from any limit (or position) switches on the QTR windows. This makes me believe that there isn't any feedback-signals from the QTRs to the roof ECU, suggesting that the QTRs only use an internal limit switch to stop lowering (and stop raising) the windows, and hence break power to the QTR motors.

If anyone here has actually seen the harness for the QTR windows (or has photos they can share), --- was there more than two wires to these motor-assemblies?

If so, the wiring diagrams I have from Mitchell (and DirectHit), may both be wrong-- 'cause neither shows any feedback signals to the ECU --so I'm at a loss how the ECU would ever know that these windows have been moved out of their "normal" position, via this simple Relay-Mod.

If the diagrams I have are correct, it would suggest that the roof ECU simply "blindly" energizes the QTRs to lower them whenever the "Roof-Open" or "Roof-Close" cycle begins.

Any feedback would be welcomed.
Old 07-24-16, 08:32 AM
TarheelNic
Rookie

Ooops. Please see corrected item 4 question below.

Bimmer,
I'm close to installing the Relay-Modification for my quarter windows. This thread is full of conflicting info regarding the alarm-buzzer/chime, and I'd really appreciate it if you could help clarify a few things. So, would you please do me a favor when you have a chance and test the following sequences and report your findings, --- before i start tearing into the trunk wiring harnesses to make this mod?:

1. With the roof closed, all windows up, and car running: Open roof; then bring all 4 windows up (including qtr-windows), and then drive car above 20 MPH.

2. With the roof still open and car still running, and all four windows still up: Close roof w/o lowering the qtr windows first (obviously stop the roof closing if the qtr windows don't go down automatically with the main windows. I don't want you to damage your qtr windows.);

3. With the roof closed and car running: Drive car above 20 MPH., and THEN lower all four windows;

4. With the roof still closed and car still running, and all four windows still down: Open roof with the open-button;
(Did it open?)

If it opened, now close the roof. (Did the qtr windows come back up automatically after the roof closed?);

Some members seem to be reporting alarms, --or having to restart the car to reset the roof ECU -- when they manually operate the Qtr windows, while you seem to not be having these issues.

From my research on the roof ECU wiring diagrams, there doesn't appear to be any wires from any limit (or position) switches on the QTR windows. This makes me believe that there isn't any feedback-signals from the QTRs to the roof ECU, suggesting that the QTRs only use an internal limit switch to stop lowering (and stop raising) the windows, and hence break power to the QTR motors.

If anyone here has actually seen the harness for the QTR windows (or has photos they can share), --- was there more than two wires to these motor-assemblies?

If so, the wiring diagrams I have from Mitchell (and DirectHit), may both be wrong-- 'cause neither shows any feedback signals to the ECU --so I'm at a loss how the ECU would ever know that these windows have been moved out of their "normal" position, via this simple Relay-Mod.

If the diagrams I have are correct, it would suggest that the roof ECU simply "blindly" energizes the QTRs to lower them whenever the "Roof-Open" or "Roof-Close" cycle begins.

Old 07-24-16, 08:53 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Ooops. Please see corrected item 4 question below.

Bimmer,

No beeping no lights nothing comes on

i tried this about 2.5 years back initially when i did the mod and my car actually lowered them. but never again did i bring them up, i would test it right now for you but i need to do your check on my right roof motor,(planning to do tomorrow at my friends as my driveway is all dug up for building and i cant bring car in)

I have lowered my windows and raised them probably 15 times a day at all speeds even 100 and over, there is no alarm, no lights

(Did it open?)
The roof simply opened and i have tried this often but like i told Shawn, i did my best later to put everything in normal position before i operated roof because I didnt see any reason to not let it operate under its normal condition (i would recommend same for opposite, windows all up after top down, just put them in normal position before operating roof). But yes this works 100%.

If it opened, now close the roof. (Did the qtr windows come back up automatically after the roof closed?);
yes quarter windows behave perfectly normal

Thats odd, i wish i could answer that Tarheel, but when i did this mod not being strong in electronics i simply did it based on pics after Darthsid confirmed there would be no issues. later on i started to understand it better

i have not seen the motors, but pls pm me your email and ill send you a pic of the wiring i did
if it makes sense in anyway the relay positive is tapped into pin 7 in S19 if that makes any difference? its why i asked what those pins were yesterday

Last edited by 416tt; 07-24-16 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-24-16, 10:50 AM
TarheelNic
Rookie

Thank you sir.
No need to send pics of the relay wiring. I'm comfortable with that part. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't get any alarms after making this mod.

Good luck with the roof motor test. PM me if I can help with that in any way...
Old 07-25-16, 11:10 AM
TarheelNic
Rookie

No beeping no lights nothing comes on
i have not seen the motors, but pls pm me your email and ill send you a pic of the wiring i did
if it makes sense in anyway the relay positive is tapped into pin 7 in S19 if that makes any difference? its why i asked what those pins were yesterday
Unless I'm mistaken, that would mean you are able to operate your QTR windows, without the key being in the ignition. Correct?
Old 07-25-16, 11:16 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TarheelNic
Unless I'm mistaken, that would mean you are able to operate your QTR windows, without the key being in the ignition. Correct?
Nope they don't work without ignition. The switch in front has positive wired with cigarette lighter and a positive from relay is wired to s19 pin 7.

Rear Quarter Window Mod??-ecu-1.jpg

Last edited by 416tt; 07-25-16 at 11:24 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Quarter Window Mod??