SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

trunk lid adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-11, 06:08 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default trunk lid adjustment

My trunk lid is not flush with the body on the passenger side - a few sixteenths high. How difficult is this adjustment?
Old 06-23-11, 06:25 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Normally will have stoppers which are adjustable with the hood. Do not know about the rear.

And welcome to CL.
Old 06-23-11, 08:54 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Actually it's pretty complex for a vertical adjustment. It's one of those tasks where all interior luggage compartment garnish pieces must be removed to access the bolts for the adjustment.

Both front and rear have to be adjusted simultaneously and shims are used, inserted or removed. According to my FSM standard thickness is 2.0mm with two shims (1.0mm thick). Shims come in 0.5 and 1.0 mm thickness. If you're too high on one side, then it sounds like removing one 1.0 shim and replacing it with a 0.5 shim may correct the alignment problem.

A lot of work for a sixteenth, although for an eighth, would be very obvious to a casual observer.
Attached Thumbnails trunk lid adjustment-vertical.png  

Last edited by VVTiBob; 06-23-11 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-23-11, 10:21 AM
mandyfig

Wow, that's one complex adjustment.
Old 06-23-11, 12:13 PM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Thanks! that's exactly what I needed.
Old 06-23-11, 05:06 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 06-24-11, 07:46 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Thanks for the welcome. I'll let you know what I discover. The lid is up about 3/32 on the passenger side, which is just enough to bug me every time I look in the passenger side mirror. I'll remove the covers and check the shim status.

Tackling the timing belt next. This is a new-to-me 2002 with 84K miles. I'm owner #2. First owner maintained the vehicle by-the-book via a Lexus dealer every 5k miles through 75K. Now it is my turn. So far, I'm very impressed with the vehicle. These things are well engineered for the long haul and Lexus' attention to detail is remarkable. I almost went with a BMW E46 vert - so glad this SC430 came along.

Kelly
Old 06-24-11, 08:04 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kjcole
Thanks for the welcome. I'll let you know what I discover. The lid is up about 3/32 on the passenger side, which is just enough to bug me every time I look in the passenger side mirror. I'll remove the covers and check the shim status.

Tackling the timing belt next. This is a new-to-me 2002 with 84K miles. I'm owner #2. First owner maintained the vehicle by-the-book via a Lexus dealer every 5k miles through 75K. Now it is my turn. So far, I'm very impressed with the vehicle. These things are well engineered for the long haul and Lexus' attention to detail is remarkable. I almost went with a BMW E46 vert - so glad this SC430 came along.

Kelly
Welcome!

I too am an owner of a new to me 2002 with 57K. I'm the second owner as well and I have brought her back to tip top mechanical shape as I just finished the Timing Belt as DIY and it was very easy if you've ever done any timing belt change yourself in the past.

Biggest tip for that would be to make sure you advance the timing to 50 ATDC to avoid spring back of the cam gear on the left bank. Also, save yourself some time and purchase a new plastic clip that holds the cam gear sensor plug to the timing belt cover on the left bank side. I wasted 45Min trying to get it off without breaking it...so much for that...LOL!
Old 06-24-11, 08:25 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Playtym,

Thanks for the tip on the clip for the cam gear sensor. I'm planning on replacing the water pump, tensioner and idler bearings, hydraulic tensioner, and serpentine belt. Maybe hoses since they look original and 10 years is a long time for hoses. Anything else - thermostat?? Best to remove the radiator for clearance? (I've read about some who didn't).

Found a nice write-up on an LS 430 belt change here, which includes your note about advancing to 50ATDC to keep the left cam from jumping back:

http://www.shastaanesthesia.com/Lexus/Page1.html

I was planning on buying the special cam tool - not sure about the tool for removing the crank bolt. What do you think? My Dad has offered to help - lately he's been doing timing belts on my brothers' Audi's and VW's - which look to be crazy compared to this V8. I could do this on my own, but Dad is getting on in years and I look forward to a father/son project again. We rebuilt several Mercedes Diesels during the 70's gas crisis and I miss those projects with him.

any other tips greatly appreciated.
Old 06-24-11, 08:36 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by PLAYTYM
Welcome!

I too am an owner of a new to me 2002 with 57K. I'm the second owner as well and I have brought her back to tip top mechanical shape as I just finished the Timing Belt as DIY and it was very easy if you've ever done any timing belt change yourself in the past.

Biggest tip for that would be to make sure you advance the timing to 50 ATDC to avoid spring back of the cam gear on the left bank. Also, save yourself some time and purchase a new plastic clip that holds the cam gear sensor plug to the timing belt cover on the left bank side. I wasted 45Min trying to get it off without breaking it...so much for that...LOL!
And you did not do a DIY for us?
Old 06-24-11, 09:13 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kjcole
Playtym,

Thanks for the tip on the clip for the cam gear sensor. I'm planning on replacing the water pump, tensioner and idler bearings, hydraulic tensioner, and serpentine belt. Maybe hoses since they look original and 10 years is a long time for hoses. Anything else - thermostat?? Best to remove the radiator for clearance? (I've read about some who didn't).

Found a nice write-up on an LS 430 belt change here, which includes your note about advancing to 50ATDC to keep the left cam from jumping back:

http://www.shastaanesthesia.com/Lexus/Page1.html

I was planning on buying the special cam tool - not sure about the tool for removing the crank bolt. What do you think? My Dad has offered to help - lately he's been doing timing belts on my brothers' Audi's and VW's - which look to be crazy compared to this V8. I could do this on my own, but Dad is getting on in years and I look forward to a father/son project again. We rebuilt several Mercedes Diesels during the 70's gas crisis and I miss those projects with him.

any other tips greatly appreciated.
I did my thermostat, but did not do hoses. It's a much easier job to remove the radiator and takes no effor or time to do it!
Old 06-24-11, 09:15 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mandyfig
And you did not do a DIY for us?
Sorry...I used a DIY that was already on here.

Next time I do anything I'll make sure I do a DIY!
Old 06-24-11, 12:42 PM
mandyfig

Thank you very much...very very much. And sorry for that FONT size...did not mean to shout, LOL!

Kidding aside, rate Timing belt, 1 to 5, where 5 means an expert mechanic level needed. And what tools were needed out of the ordinary?
Old 06-27-11, 06:13 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Thank you very much...very very much. And sorry for that FONT size...did not mean to shout, LOL!

Kidding aside, rate Timing belt, 1 to 5, where 5 means an expert mechanic level needed. And what tools were needed out of the ordinary?
Hmmm...rating it I would say somewhere between a 3 - 4. I'm very machanically minded and have always done all my own work on my sports cars, so it's hard for me to rate these things.

As far as special tools...an air ratchet and air gun will be very helpful. Also a lift will make your job so much faster. Other than that...the tools are pretty standard. I used no special cam gear tools of any kind. As long as you advance to 50 degrees ATDC...you're good to go.
Old 08-16-16, 11:26 AM
Sambo79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can i get the shims?

Hey VVTiBob, where can i get the shims to adjust trunk height?

Quick Reply: trunk lid adjustment