Looking at an '07 sc430 with 65k miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-13, 10:58 AM
Ecargirl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at an '07 sc430 with 65k miles

Hi everyone-

I'm new to this forum but have learned a lot in the last 24hrs. The car is being sold by a non Lexus dealer and owned by 2 people, each for 3 yrs. I was able to pull the service records from lexus and it looks liked roadside assistance was called at least 5 times for battery related issues. Based on the report I have, the battery was replaced twice in the 1st 3yrs of ownership along with a few other attempts to correct the problem.

Then from 12/10-9/13 no service was performed at the lexus dealership and the carfax confirms that no other dealership worked on the car.

Should I pass on this beauty? Also, if I decide to move forward, can I buy a lexus service contract from a lexus dealership even though I didn't buy it from them; are there any lexus dealers that sell online?

Thanks in advance for your helpful comments.
Old 11-20-13, 12:16 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Hi there

I just bought a 04 w 50K and I had to get the battery replaced as soon as I bought the car . SC is known to eat the battery .

I would check though to see if there is a drain ( alternator or starter ) as those parts will cost about $1,200 to replace

What is the seller asking for the car and do u know If the car has been repainted ? I was pretty picky and did not want any panels repainted
Old 11-20-13, 12:54 PM
Ecargirl
Driver School Candidate

Starter was just replaced in '13. I haven't had a chance to really check out the car during the day; sun sets pretty early around here so I don't know if the panels have been painted. Asking $23.
Old 11-20-13, 01:17 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

That is a good price . I paid $24,000 OTD for my 06 with 77 K before i sold it .As long as the car has not been repainted , it looks like a good deal

But it is not good the car keep having the battery changed . If it is the alternator, it will cost $1,200

Good luck .. What color is the SC ?
Old 11-20-13, 05:00 PM
Ecargirl
Driver School Candidate

Bl sapphire. Yeah, concerned price is to good to be true.

What's your concern about the car being repainted?

Do you know if I can get a lexus-backed service contract on this vehicle?
Old 11-21-13, 08:10 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

if accident is not recorded in the carfax and the car is repainted, you never know what kind of damage it may have had as it was done outside of insurance.. But its usually pretty easy to tell how bad a damage is as you would see welding inside on structure inside (if its bad that is).. and sometimes it could just be a small damage and just requires slight fix up and repaint where usually the paint doesnt match perfectly and doesnt look good.
Old 11-21-13, 08:34 AM
jonas's RX
Instructor

I have been looking for a while and when u look at these cars, it i easily to tell

The first sign is the paint when looking from different sides at the sunlight might not match

The hood, bumpers are the 1st part I look at

I am just picky as all my cars are all original paint
Old 11-21-13, 10:22 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Ecargirl, Welcome to the forum. Be sure to read all the stickies at the top of this forum, there's tons of useful information there.

Sometimes you can still purchase a bumper to bumper warranty from the dealer. Others have purchased aftermarket policies to save money.

Best of luck with your search and keep us aprised.
Old 11-21-13, 10:43 AM
IMXCITD
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Might be worth having it inspected? Many dealers and shops will do it for 100-150...may save you a ton of headaches.....or reveal that you found a gem! Good luck
Old 11-21-13, 10:52 AM
jomo3640
Driver

Originally Posted by Ecargirl
Bl sapphire. Yeah, concerned price is to good to be true.

What's your concern about the car being repainted?

Do you know if I can get a lexus-backed service contract on this vehicle?
When my 2007 came off of CPO warranty, I was advised that it was too old for a lexus-backed warranty.
Old 11-21-13, 04:38 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For reference, here in Dallas there is a 2007 with 55K on it and the price is tagged at $31K.

When I bought my 2007 in 2010 with 19K miles on it, CPO, it was $40K (and I purchased the additional warranty)

Old 11-21-13, 08:01 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jonas's RX

The hood, bumpers are the 1st part I look at

I am just picky as all my cars are all original paint
Bumpers are painted separately from body with different flex additive paint. Pearl paints are easier to notice this. My brand new Safire pearl CT has a slightly direct reflectivity and color from the fenders.

JR
Old 11-21-13, 08:06 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Originally Posted by FLYCT
Bumpers are painted separately from body with different flex additive paint. Pearl paints are easier to notice this. My brand new Safire pearl CT has a slightly direct reflectivity and color from the fenders.

JR

I hear you. There are certain colors where after it comes out of the factory if it were ever repainted especially the bumper , it just doesn't match. just bought a Egyptian Pearl and I know it is probably one of the tougher color to match. The silver is also very difficult to match
Old 11-21-13, 08:51 PM
FLYCT

Unless you have a paint thickness gauge it can be impossible to know when a good shop repaints a panel. Usually the shop blends color into the adjacent panel so that you can't see the transition.

A hood repaint done properly should also have color blended on the fenders and then clear coated.

Example of a typical paint thickness gauge.
Dry Film Coating Thickness Gauge, Paint Meter, Paint Gauge - Amazon.com Dry Film Coating Thickness Gauge, Paint Meter, Paint Gauge - Amazon.com

Bumpers are usually removed, painted in a booth with flex additive, baked and reinstalled by a good shop. Done properly there is no issue.

I went to look a a used Expedition at a dealership that my daughter wanted. I asked the dealer if I could borrow his paint thickness gauge. After a 30 second stare he went into the office and came out with it. I measured every panel. Of course the hood and rear hatch metered differently because it was aluminum where other panels were steel.

The quickest way to tell if a panel has been repainted is to run your fingers along every body seam and feel for tape lines or roughness.

Personally I would not care if a car had a bumper cover repainted, as long as it was done off the car by a good shop.

JR
Old 11-22-13, 10:15 AM
FLYCT

Originally Posted by 76210Guy
For reference, here in Dallas there is a 2007 with 55K on it and the price is tagged at $31K.

When I bought my 2007 in 2010 with 19K miles on it, CPO, it was $40K (and I purchased the additional warranty)

I bought my wife a 2007 SC430 with 14,000 miles on it last year. It was CPO from a Chicago Lexus dealer. Paid $38k which included delivery to Florida, tourmaline wheels, 3M solar tinted windows, 3M clear bra (paint shield) new DWS tires and a new factory spare tire kit. The car arrived in exceptional condition and drives like new.

I probably paid a little too much for it but I wanted as close to perfect car as possibly, low mileage and my wife wanted piece of mind with a Lexus Warranty.

Quick Reply: Looking at an '07 sc430 with 65k miles