SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Gun vault and/or mount

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-13, 08:54 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WIL44
Hi JR

All seems so alien to me, but also very interesting.

Does a 'licence to carry' mean you can carry any weapon i.e. a pistol or even a machine gun??????

We can be prosecuted for carring a 'Craft Knive' in the UK!!

Cheers
Steve
Steve,

Florida laws below.

You also do not need any permit to own a gun and keep it at home, your property or your place of business. In fact it is perfectly legal to be on your front lawn mowing the grass with an M16 or AK47 over your shoulder or a Glock 40 cal semi automatic exposed on a holster. None of this is advisable as neighbors may get nervous.

You need a Concealed Weapon permit to carry on your person hidden from view in public.

It is not legal to carry openly exposed in public unless you are on your property or place of business.

There is a 3 day waiting period and background check required to purchase a firearm from a dealer. If you can show a concealed Weapon permit the waiting period and background check is waived.

You can buy or sell any legal firearm such as from a 22 cal pistol and even an M16 from a private party in a parking lot for cash legally without background check or waiting period. Same goes for purchasing from private seller at a gun show, which most bigger cities have 6 times a year or so.

It makes sense to get a concealed permit. My wife originally got hers because I would put my handgun in her purse when we went to out to a restaurant.

I carry concealed, on my person, when in the car or when out shopping. On longer trips I keep my firearm in the center console. My usual carry gun is a 13 round 380 Baretta, model 84. My wife's carry gun is a 5 shot, Lady Smith 642LS, .38 cal, loaded with +P rounds.

I can drop my 380 and soft holster in my front pocket when I exit the car and go into a store.

Google "Florida Concealed Weapon Permit" for more details.

JR
Old 10-30-13, 09:30 PM
bcsc400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you leave you guns at home if your traveling to Canada. Every year hundreds of Americans are arrested trying to bring guns across the border. It's an all to common problem as Americans who routinely carry guns forget the law changes drastically once you cross the 49th Parallel.
Old 10-31-13, 04:57 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm always armed, keep it on my person, aim center mass my friend!
Old 10-31-13, 06:05 AM
grottoman
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, let's not stray too far afield here...

But to answer the question about the scenario, it's basically that I saw what happened very quickly in the wake of a tornado here, and it became clear that should something similar happen with a little more disruption to the basics of food, water, and such, I'd rather not be separated from my vehicle as I leave the city for my more remote location.

Back to the original core, it's occurred to me that ripping out the ashtray area might support a slide-in location for a pistol, even if the wooden face can't completely close on it (although that would be nice).

If not, then maybe a replacement of the full size stereo head with something smaller, that leaves some space for a pistol.

Anyway- thanks again, and let's make sure we don't derail onto pure gun talk.

This is all about protecting my car from those who might want to take it from me.

If it weren't this great SC430, I might not care as much.

Old 10-31-13, 07:29 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by grottoman
Ok, let's not stray too far afield here...

This is all about protecting my car from those who might want to take it from me.

If it weren't this great SC430, I might not care as much.

I would not use deadly force to protect my car. If I pull a gun I need to be to be committed to use it, not just display it for leverage. I also know if I use it the ***** hits the fan afterwards.

Several years ago I was in a bank where the guy robbed the teller next to me. He robbed it with a note stating that he had a gun. I was armed but I let the guy walk out of the bank with $6,000 of bank's money. He was caught a few weeks later.

If someone approaches with gun drawn, and tries to jack my car, he can have it. If he just has a knife or baseball bat I would hit the gas. If his intentions are to hurt someone that's a different story.

When driving through questionable areas vigilance is first line of defense. I never box myself in at stop lights and leave room enough between the car in front of me to be able to hit the gas and "escape" if approached by a bad guy.

When approaching a red light in questionable areas I slow down well before the intersection.

Your right about people getting desperate when disasters hit and food and water are scarce. I was on the streets of South Miami for several weeks after Hurricane Andrew hit. Hungry and thirsty people don't care if you have a gun. They can be like a pack of mad dogs.

JR
Old 10-31-13, 12:41 PM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone trying to steal your car with a deadly weapon shows intent to do harm; I'd give him the car, 9mm first.

OP; breakdown an AR15 and store it in the trunk under the panels. It would be safe there.
Old 10-31-13, 03:26 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT
I would not use deadly force to protect my car. If I pull a gun I need to be to be committed to use it, not just display it for leverage.
I think the OP's scenario is civil unrest caused by some event and a need to get out of town. So the protection is not of the car, its protection of a mode of transportation.

When the social contract completely breaks down, I'd like to be doing 70MPH and not walking!
Old 10-31-13, 05:00 PM
grottoman
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
I think the OP's scenario is civil unrest caused by some event and a need to get out of town. So the protection is not of the car, its protection of a mode of transportation.

When the social contract completely breaks down, I'd like to be doing 70MPH and not walking!
You got it exactly right, JohnnyCake. While I'm prepared to go on foot, I'd rather haul butt out of town in my car.

I'm not looking to protect the random theft of the vehicle for the sake of the vehicle, unless it seems like my personal safety is threatened.

I have to say, the contemplation of these scenarios really gets interesting quickly. The different purposes, scenarios, thresholds, etc, make a complicated puzzle.

Thanks again for all the feedback.
Old 11-01-13, 12:18 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT
Steve,

Florida laws below.

You also do not need any permit to own a gun and keep it at home, your property or your place of business. In fact it is perfectly legal to be on your front lawn mowing the grass with an M16 or AK47 over your shoulder or a Glock 40 cal semi automatic exposed on a holster. None of this is advisable as neighbors may get nervous.

You need a Concealed Weapon permit to carry on your person hidden from view in public.

It is not legal to carry openly exposed in public unless you are on your property or place of business.

There is a 3 day waiting period and background check required to purchase a firearm from a dealer. If you can show a concealed Weapon permit the waiting period and background check is waived.

You can buy or sell any legal firearm such as from a 22 cal pistol and even an M16 from a private party in a parking lot for cash legally without background check or waiting period. Same goes for purchasing from private seller at a gun show, which most bigger cities have 6 times a year or so.

It makes sense to get a concealed permit. My wife originally got hers because I would put my handgun in her purse when we went to out to a restaurant.

I carry concealed, on my person, when in the car or when out shopping. On longer trips I keep my firearm in the center console. My usual carry gun is a 13 round 380 Baretta, model 84. My wife's carry gun is a 5 shot, Lady Smith 642LS, .38 cal, loaded with +P rounds.

I can drop my 380 and soft holster in my front pocket when I exit the car and go into a store.

Google "Florida Concealed Weapon Permit" for more details.

JR
Thanks for the clarification JR.

I am surprised at how many of you Guys carry a weapon with you all the time!

Sorry about the bad spellng in my post........obviously I meant Knife not Knive!!!!

Best regards
Steve
Old 11-02-13, 07:44 AM
sportrider
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I carry a small kel tec 380 as often as possible. When in the car I will put it in my briefcase or small canvas bag I carry at times. When the car is parked it is locked in the center console.
Old 11-05-13, 03:37 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i always keep a ruger lcp .380 on me but now that winters here and im wearing jeans its time for my HK p2000sk .357sig
Old 11-16-13, 12:48 PM
depone
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grottoman
Hello all-

I searched the forum; the only reference I saw to a weapon was a threat to blast a bird with a road flare after it spit some berry juice on somebody's sc430.

I am a newly minted permit holder for concealed carry of a pistol. But my intent is not to carry it on my person except in the most extreme situation, the threshold for which I've not yet experienced.

My aim is never to need a weapon, and prefer to focus on enjoying the ride of this great sc430 vehicle.. However, in the wake of a massive storm recently, I saw how quickly things can get ugly as gas, food, and water start to disappear, and it became clear that in certain circumstances, I'd prefer not to have my car jacked without a umm, discussion.

My thought is to keep one pistol in my car, but not easily accessible, and only put it in reach if I anticipate a potentially dangerous trip or situation for some reason.

So my questions are:
Is anybody else armed in their sc430?
Do you keep it on your person?
Or is it locked in a 'vault', and if so, what model, and where have you mounted or stored the case?
Or do you have a retention holster mounted somewhere, like on the side of the center console, or the bottom of the steering column, or in the glove box, or ?
Or is the thought of introducing a weapon into these things of beauty too repulsive for everybody, so you are sticking with the good old tire iron?

Thoughts and feedback welcome.

Not looking for a debate about the role of weapons / etc, I'm committed to storing a weapon in the car, at least on occasion, and am asking about other people's experience and/or thoughts on
-how to do this safely (avoid a random person from getting a hold of it)
-how to do this defensively (avoid a car thief or break-in artist from easily identifying the object and/or lifting it)
-etc

Thanks very much.
I am an ex state police academy firearms instructor and I strongly advise you to keep the weapon on your body in a GOOD concealment holster. If you ever get stopped and the gun becomes visible you might create a very dangerous situation with the officer. Keep it concealed and by all means notify the officer that you have a carry permit and you wish to inform him you are armed to prevent any problems from arising. Ask him what he wishes you to do.

If you want to discuss a few ideas leave me a PM with your email address and I will get in touch with you. Your idea is a good one, as are your concerns, but many factors come into play that you have probably not considered.
Old 11-16-13, 04:26 PM
Anion
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

This is very interesting thread...as a firearm holder... i do have trouble placing my firearm in this small compact car...

best spot in my opinion is behind the passenger seat...

but i never EVER... i repeat...NEVER leave my firearm in my car at all times...it stays with me everywhere i go...the middle console area in my opinion by the time i unlock and obtain my firearm i could be dead...

also with that said time is an essence in defending myself...i always put my passenger seat closer to the dash board then my driver seat...so when i do need to reach over to the passenger side...the gun is within an arm's stretch...rather at an awkward angle.. also if anything do happen i can duck sideways protecting myself and still grab my firearm...with the middle console you cant...

living in the area and place i live in...most Texans are armed...people should know we defend ourselves in this state...
Old 11-17-13, 08:39 AM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the great conversation. My wife and I are currently waiting for our CC permits. Hope to have them this month. I bought her a .38 Lady Smith which she has become quite comfortable and accurate with. I will have to let her read this thread so she can get a feel for carrying in her SC.

I appreciate the tips about "not boxing yourself in" at stop lights. Great advice. Always better to avoid the confrontation altogether and live to tell about it. New rims and bodywork needed after escaping is cheap compared to the $$ spent defending yourself after you have used your weapon and are in the right.