SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Finally found the perfect SC430..BUT 1 Major Problem

Old 10-16-13, 11:05 AM
ChimpsAlot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bimmer416
about plasti dip.. I actually did my M3 matte white.. its definately a very strong and durable product, depending on the amount of layers also but i have taken the car at very high speeds and its great protection.. My M3 is originally black and to bring it to white it required atleast 10 coats.. but I learned that it can be done more properly with a grey base coat as a primer and then 4 coats of white.. Saves amounts of plasti dip and also turns out smoother. The most important thing i learned is that the car has to be prepped really properly, meaning every unreachable area should be covered and the rest should be applied thick so its easily peelable later. I had it on for about 7 month in very cold winter and very hot summer, then peeled it off after and the paint was mint here are some pics... i dont think i would plasti dip an SC since its a luxury car, or if i would it would be a pearl white only.. but im happy with the car the way it is..

Before:
Attachment 301553

After:
Attachment 301554

Attachment 301555
Great work, man - that looks like it came out really clean. Was it a huge pain to peel it all off when you de-white-ified it? LLOL it must have all came off like Saran wrap. That still looks like a masking nightmare, but at least plastidip allows you to overspray, and peel off later. I'm sure there are a buttload of tutorial videos on youtube.
Old 10-16-13, 11:31 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMark
Don't dip it....you own a Lexus, not a Civic......
lol that could be one way to look at it but then again there are many who say changing the lexus from its original form such as body kits, leds, exhausts, engine mods, suspension, etc... is also ruining it or what people do to a civic Lol when i had my sc up for sale, few individuals came and questioned me about why I would even change the bushings to poly..

I did my M3 for paint protection and because of salt and stuff, and unlike the SC... M3 is a performance car so stone chips got it bad in a few places and few door dings so plasti dipped was helpful during the winter. But I brought it back to original as my lexus and m3 are both same interior and exterior color and so was my S8. If i was to protect the front again I would do it right with a 3M clear bra. But again if your going to buy a car, buy the color you like. Its a big deal in my opinion.

and i noticed someone mentioned a paintjob, i dont know if its a big deal there but paint job drops the value of the car here in Canada as people beleive it might have been damaged or something. best to make it easy and find the color you like! as for a lexus, its a cruising luxury car.. I can understand if someone wants to wrap or dip there car if there taking it on the track or live in a place with bad weather.

_____

and ChimpsAlot, its not to hard to peel off but will not peel off unless you want it to.. meaning there is slight force required.. I have taken this car at speeds i cant mention but the product is very strong, has been through blizzards and storms and salt and alot of car washes.. I think it was great for that purpose plus it saved my car from dings.. but the sc is a cruising luxury car and I would not do it to that, Infact I like it original.

Last edited by 416tt; 10-16-13 at 11:43 AM. Reason: answering chimpsalot aswell
Old 10-16-13, 11:44 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

I agree, find the color you like. Check out the thread with folks posting the latest pictures of their rides. That should give you a pretty good idea of what colors are available. (I doubt that there are any colors missing in that thread but it is possible.)

A lot of folks buy cars from states away from their own and either have the car shipped or fly out there and drive it back. (Shipping costs less than $1k, is my understanding, more like $500 and up maybe?) The Texas market is pretty large and I suspect that the California and Florida markets are too.
Old 10-16-13, 02:09 PM
ChimpsAlot
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, personally I would never spend more than $5000 on a car and then plastidip it. Yet all the time, you see guys dropping $100k+ on Nissan GT-R's and plastidipping them matte pastel colors... even Audi R8's. That's bananas.

For paint protection, that's a different reason. And that 3M stuff is awesome; my relatives have it on their newer cars.
Old 10-17-13, 10:49 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bimmer416
lol that could be one way to look at it but then again there are many who say changing the lexus from its original form such as body kits, leds, exhausts, engine mods, suspension, etc... is also ruining it or what people do to a civic Lol when i had my sc up for sale, few individuals came and questioned me about why I would even change the bushings to poly..

Many on this forum do not buy their cars and worry about resell value. If you're on this site and are not open to modding, then what do you converse about.....what windshield wipers to use?

Modding is personal....some are into it and some are not. I personally would not dip any of my Lexus'.
Old 10-17-13, 12:01 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MrMark
Many on this forum do not buy their cars and worry about resell value. If you're on this site and are not open to modding, then what do you converse about.....what windshield wipers to use?

Modding is personal....some are into it and some are not. I personally would not dip any of my Lexus'.
hahaha, alright. you need to be more clear and say that it is "your opinion".. from what i see is your attacking people on the forum.. im not here to argue because its pointless. But you need to be more careful when you claim "pink is crap" or "this is a lexus, not a civic" because you need to remember that not everyone may have the financial state to afford the cars that we have, yes we are lucky to have nice cars but doesnt mean we are better then anyone and there are most people who pay even more for there brand new civics then we do for our used lexus's, etc.. so no we are not better then anyone, we are not above anyone, not even the people who take the bus. Yes there are guys that do stuff to there civics, acuras, corollas or whatever and drive around like they have a super car, but i dont get why it would hurt you or me? i mean its there choice right? even if they put a fish tank in it who cares? they may like something that we may not, so what.. and Yes i do get guys in civics trying to race me but i mean if that makes them happy or makes them feel like they have a good car then sure let it be, i do not buy cars to drive around and act like i have something better then someone else, i drive different cars to enjoy them and there differences. There would be no difference between me and an idiot if i try to prove that i have something better then them.

So therefore making that comment is like trying to put people down by claiming civic or whatever is a cheap car. i would definately not like it if somoene on a ferrari or lamborghini, pagani forum states that "oh dont plasti dip your ferrari, this is not a LEXUS".. lets not try to put people down, we are all humans, we all have our opinions, we are here to help not be rude or be extra smart. As a member on this forum, im here to share stuff and learn stuff and help people with the choice of there opinions, not bluntly state my own.

and again you have made a comment which claims you did not understand my last one. You claim plasti dip is cheap, NO it is just a PRODUCT just like the mods you have.. it allows you to easily spray color on to your car and for whatever reason such as protection or trying a different color or whatever. In your opinion you may not like it, but there are people who say putting body kits, lowering, changing suspension, etc.. to a luxury cruiser like the SC is also ruining the car. In there opinion they may see that those mods are for tuners, not a 85k+ luxury convertible. its JUST opinions my friend. No where did i say, I think changing the suspension or doing mods is garbage, I would do that myself because i hate the suspension on my car. So please go back and read and drop this right here.

oh and apologies to the thread owner for this useless commentary, lets bring it back to the topic. Just find something you like my friend, I would not like to walk out and look at my lexus then be disapointed of its color.

good deals come by all the time
Old 10-21-13, 04:18 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xDennis
Hi everyone, this is my first post. Sorry it's not one which is providing too much value!

I'm new here, but not new to lexus. I'm a member of another board as well. I have an IS300.

I'm looking for a weekend car, something fun to drive around. I've been all over the map and back from Porsche 986, 996 911's, M3, CLK AMG, AMG s55, 335i, 350z, g35 coupes, s2000, IS350, WRX the list goes on.

I've settled on a SC430 primarily for the unique factor, reliability and factory hard top. Next in line was a 996 911's but I'm not sure I'm ready to own a car that may need 5-10k+ in maintenance/repairs...one day

That being said I found a great car:

- $15k
- 95k Miles
-1 OWNER
- Great Service Records according to carfax
- Non rust belt
- The interior I'm looking for (Beige)
- Superbly Clean in and out. The service records show a consistent trend of dealership detail.

BUT IT'S LIGHT BEIGE/CAMPAIGN! Ugghhhhhhhhh

I've been frantically looking online for "tuned beige SC430s" to see what it has the potential to be!

Does anyone on here have tuned beige SC430? I'd love to see pics!

What's everyones thoughts on this color? Personally I feel it's a lil....girly..... good for my wife, bad for me!

Thanks!
Dennis
Nothing wrong with that color, you will get many compliments
Old 10-28-13, 07:42 AM
xDennis
Driver School Candidate

I drove the car over the weekend. I could get used to the color, I think.

The car was VERY clean. The only thing is, it was not very exciting to drive. Granted, the dealer was with me.. but it lacked throttle response. I did get the opportunity to mash it on an on ramp, but it took about a second or so to pick up.. I know auto's are typically delayed, but this seems a little more delayed.

At cruising speeds (35-40) if I lightly pressed on the peddle I just felt like it didn't really make a difference, I almost felt like I would have had to mash it to get moving more. I was smooth.. the CEL was not on and it didnt hesitate like a MAF was bad or anything. I guess I was just thinking with that 8cyl I would get a little more throttle response out of it.

It was a little chilly so I didn't let the top down, I didnt want to be "that guy" lol

Anyway.. now I feel that I'm back to square one... maybe I want something with a little more pep.
Old 10-28-13, 10:02 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xDennis
I drove the car over the weekend. I could get used to the color, I think.

The car was VERY clean. The only thing is, it was not very exciting to drive. Granted, the dealer was with me.. but it lacked throttle response. I did get the opportunity to mash it on an on ramp, but it took about a second or so to pick up.. I know auto's are typically delayed, but this seems a little more delayed.

At cruising speeds (35-40) if I lightly pressed on the peddle I just felt like it didn't really make a difference, I almost felt like I would have had to mash it to get moving more. I was smooth.. the CEL was not on and it didnt hesitate like a MAF was bad or anything. I guess I was just thinking with that 8cyl I would get a little more throttle response out of it.

It was a little chilly so I didn't let the top down, I didnt want to be "that guy" lol

Anyway.. now I feel that I'm back to square one... maybe I want something with a little more pep.
I know what you mean, I actually mentioned the same on another thread but Liquid SC and ShawnOk recommended a throttle booster like blitz for example.. I searched up on it and apparently it makes quite the difference.. I wont lie though, when the sc picks, it really pics hard but it would be nice to have a slightly more sensitive throttle so you dont feel the cars weight as much... My GX460 is exact same power and weighs alot more obviously but its throttle is very very sensitive so you dont feel the suvs weight at all! its quite opposite of the SC but ya search up the throttle controllers !
Old 10-28-13, 10:39 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Dennis,

There is also a known "feature" of the engine / transmission control where it "learns" how you drive and adjusts its performance "accordingly". The problem is we don't know what it is according to, most of us think it adjusts to grandma standards. If you do a search, you will find a few threads on this issue.

One of the methods to rectify the issue is to reset the ECU, which is listed on a couple of these threads. It takes a couple of minutes of ignition key and throttle pedal actuations (and gyrations) and the unit is reset to original standards. The car becomes much more responsive after that. Another method is to take it out of economy mode and put it in PWR mode. (You actually get better gas mileage in that mode also, unless you enjoy the agressiveness too much...)

If it is an '05 or older, you can manually control the transmission to make it even more responsive.

Let us know how things turn out and best of luck to you.
Old 10-29-13, 10:35 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Harold57
Dennis,

There is also a known "feature" of the engine / transmission control where it "learns" how you drive and adjusts its performance "accordingly". The problem is we don't know what it is according to, most of us think it adjusts to grandma standards. If you do a search, you will find a few threads on this issue.

One of the methods to rectify the issue is to reset the ECU, which is listed on a couple of these threads. It takes a couple of minutes of ignition key and throttle pedal actuations (and gyrations) and the unit is reset to original standards. The car becomes much more responsive after that. Another method is to take it out of economy mode and put it in PWR mode. (You actually get better gas mileage in that mode also, unless you enjoy the agressiveness too much...)

If it is an '05 or older, you can manually control the transmission to make it even more responsive.

Let us know how things turn out and best of luck to you.
Interesting, I know about the car learning to adapt your driving style but i still dont find a difference with the pwr mode :S.. has anyone else had better mileage with it on? i do notice the snow mode cuts the acceleration like crazy lol but nothing in the power mode and i have an 04, what do you mean by manual control? thanks!!
Old 10-29-13, 11:17 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Your stick shift gives you access to the individual gears, rather than just a plus and minus indicator to allow you to bump the gear one way or the other. You can put the gear lever on the numbered side and just run through the gears as desired. (I'm not sure if the PWR switch has any effect in this mode.)

You didn't notice any difference between the economy and PWR settings? That's unusual. Also, check out the threads, you'll find lots of folks who indicate that they just leave it in PWR because they get better mileage doing so. Sounds backwards but it does seem to work.

You can see the "2 3 4" on the console by the shifter in Bob's radio installation instructions on this link.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-controls.html

Last edited by Harold57; 10-29-13 at 11:24 AM.