SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Need help please!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-13, 01:28 PM
SC430inVA
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Need help please!!!!!

Took wife's 02 in for airbag recall. The 5 hour job took 2.5 days. No prob, had a 13 GS350 loaner. Couple of days later, radio reception is sketchy. Wife complains, told to bring it back following Monday. I am driving the car on Saturday and notice the following:

Parking brake light is on - parking brake is not deployed

ABS dash light is lit - brakes work fine, what does this mean?

Odometer is not working - understand that

Speedometer is not working - understand that

Take car in on Saturday with a new loaner and an understanding tech will not look at it until Monday.

Get a call Monday afternoon, the dealer tech is seeking assistance from someone (assume mother Lexus)

Call from dealer today

Radio is an easy fix, need to plug in antenna to head unit.

All of the other issues are a result of a bad ABS Control Module

And by the way, the recall work had nothing to do with the ABS Module failure.

It will cost me $2,600 to replace

It is an 02 with 118k miles

I am told that the replacement of the module will take care of the other gremlin-like issues.

The purpose of this thread is to determine if anyone has had to replace their ABS Control Module and if in fact, they experienced the other issues I did. Does it make sense that the ABS Module also controls the speedometer, odometer and parking brake light?

I do not want to turn this into a dealer bashing thread.

I plan to call Lexus Customer Service to plead my case. Will use honey, not vinegar.

Thanks in advance

Al

Last edited by SC430inVA; 09-29-13 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-24-13, 01:56 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Wow, sound like a huge headache! Sorry to hear about your bad fortune. I don't have any experience in this matter, but I will follow this thread intently. I am also worried about taking my car for this recall in two weeks. As it stands, I'm content with the function of my car. No check engine lights, no error codes, and no defects. Although, the dealership told you that the ABS module failure is not related to their recall work, I still worry about the similar issues. When technicians start taking out major aspects of the interior i have some issues and am torn between actually having the work done or just leaving things as they are. The old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," philosophy. I'm concerned some new problem will arise with the repair; something costly and something I won't be able to afford. I'm really not sure if it's worth it but hope to follow your thread to see what other members indicate is controlled by the ABS unit and which of the problems might specifically be related to the recall repair. Thanks.
Old 09-24-13, 02:33 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

shawn
read what I wrote in the recall that's the way its going to be.
Old 09-24-13, 04:18 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SC430inVA
Took wife's 02 in for airbag recall. The 5 hour job took 2.5 days. No prob, had a 13 GS350 loaner. Couple of days later, radio reception is sketchy. Wife complains, told to bring it back following Monday. I am driving the car on Saturday and notice the following:

Parking brake light is on - parking brake is not deployed

ABS dash light is lit - brakes work fine, what does this mean?

Odometer is not working - understand that

Speedometer is not working - understand that

Take care in on Saturday with a new loaner and an understanding tech will not look at it until Monday.

Get a call Monday afternoon, the dealer tech is seeking assistance from someone (assume mother Lexus)

Call from dealer today

Radio is an easy fix, need to plug in antenna to head unit.

All of the other issues are a result of a bad ABS Control Module

And by the way, the recall work had nothing to do with the ABS Module failure.

It will cost me $2,600 to replace

It is an 02 with 118k miles

I am told that the replacement of the module will take care of the other gremlin-like issues.

The purpose of this thread is to determine if anyone has had to replace their ABS Control Module and if in fact, they experienced the other issues I did. Does it make sense that the ABS Module also controls the speedometer, odometer and parking brake light?

I do not want to turn this into a dealer bashing thread.

I plan to call Lexus Customer Service to plead my case. Will use honey, not vinegar.

Thanks in advance

Al
It seems like to many coincidences. I subscribe to the philosophy that the simplest explanation is usually the right one [ occam's razor ] You brought your car in with no issues and then you are beset with radio issue because they failed to plug in the radio antenna and then all of the other issues pop up.I agree with you about not bashing the dealer. Remember the squeaky wheel gets the oil. I will follow this thread hope you gave a good result. By the way where is this module that went bad located Was it anywhere near where they were working? If it is then the bodes well for your case.
Old 09-27-13, 07:52 AM
SC430inVA
Pit Crew

Default Good news to report

Lexus is going to make the repair at no charge to me!!!

All in the spirit of customer satisfaction.

Needless to say, I am thrilled.

Old 09-27-13, 09:45 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SC430inVA
Lexus is going to make the repair at no charge to me!!!

All in the spirit of customer satisfaction.

Needless to say, I am thrilled.

That's great news Just the way it should be Bravo
Old 09-27-13, 10:13 AM
bmxkeeler
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great news man. It's rare for manufacturers to go above and beyond anymore. Glad to hear it
Old 09-27-13, 11:31 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

To the OP
I notice you are in VA. As am I. What dealership are you going to. I want to keep that in mind. Thanks
Old 09-27-13, 02:29 PM
SC430inVA
Pit Crew

Default Lexus of Richmond, but.......

Originally Posted by iolmaster
To the OP
I notice you are in VA. As am I. What dealership are you going to. I want to keep that in mind. Thanks
Originally, the dealer told me it was on my nickel. I contacted Mother Lexus at 1-800 Lexus and spoke with a customer service rep. They made the decision to cover the repair. They in turn told the dealership to make the repair and the mothership will probably make them whole.

The dealer did provide me with a loaner the entire time which has been a week plus the repair won't be complete until Tuesday.

no bad experiences with dealer to date, but I really don't use them much. Car has been out of warranty for 8 years.

Only negative is dealer is across town and takes about 40 minutes to get there (I guess I could move)
Old 09-27-13, 02:54 PM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! I am slightly confused. SC430inVA, were these failures noticed AFTER the recall work? Or, and I may have missed it, were some issues there before you took it in?

I'm scheduled for my 02 for the 16th of October. I have absolutely NO problems now and it will be noted when I take it in.

Thanks for your feedback and sincerely hope it is all taken care of to your satisfaction.

lar
Old 09-28-13, 05:57 AM
SC430inVA
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 1NEAT_SC
Wow! I am slightly confused. SC430inVA, were these failures noticed AFTER the recall work? Or, and I may have missed it, were some issues there before you took it in?

I'm scheduled for my 02 for the 16th of October. I have absolutely NO problems now and it will be noted when I take it in.

Thanks for your feedback and sincerely hope it is all taken care of to your satisfaction.

lar
All dash lights and odometer/speedometer failure occurred AFTER the recall. Dealer told me ABS Control Module failure was the culprit for all issues described above and that it was coincidental to the fact that the dash was taken apart and put back together.

I had a problem with the coincidental part and one of the main reasons for my OP was to see if anyone knew that if the ABS Module fails that it causes the dash lights and odometer/speedometer failures.

At the end of the day, I believe Lexus made the proper decision and I am happy.

Good luck with your recall experience.

Al