SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2002 AC Climate Control Unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-13, 09:26 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
Default 2002 AC Climate Control Unit

...ok guys need your expert help....I need to purchase an a/c climate control unit. I was taking out my nav screen & broke the climate control unit. I started searching ebay for them, but see some listed without electro multi vision & some listed with...so my question, what is the difference ??? Looking at the pics, they seem to be the same,but I know there has to be a difference. I want to make sure I buy the right thing & it's plug & play. Also, do all the units control the top & nav functions or could that be the difference ???...thanx in advance

Last edited by texsexlex; 09-15-13 at 09:27 AM. Reason: doubled some words
Old 09-16-13, 06:02 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

There were a handful of 2002 SC430's made WITHOUT Nav. From 2003 on, it was standard equipment.

So, there might be some 2002 Climate Control modules out there without the Nav controls across the top.

But, I would imagine those to be much harder to find than the climate control modules WITH the Nav controls.
Old 09-16-13, 07:33 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Originally Posted by Habious
There were a handful of 2002 SC430's made WITHOUT Nav. From 2003 on, it was standard equipment.

So, there might be some 2002 Climate Control modules out there without the Nav controls across the top.

But, I would imagine those to be much harder to find than the climate control modules WITH the Nav controls.
...well thats what I was thinking, but trying to verify before I bought one off the internet. I actually saw one pictured that didn't have the nav buttons in my searching. I think I'll pull the trigger on one tonight, so I'll have it by the weekend. It was warm here in Texas today & not being able to use the a/c was no fun...I'll also purchase one that shows the actual pic of the unit.I think what had me more confused, is that some vendors noted there units with & some listed without, but the same basic picture was used in all ads....so I didn't see a difference
Old 09-17-13, 06:09 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Sorry. . . you lost me at "I was taking out my NAV screen . . . ."
I didn't hear anything after that.
Old 09-18-13, 10:31 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Originally Posted by tfischer
Sorry. . . you lost me at "I was taking out my NAV screen . . . ."
I didn't hear anything after that.
lol...I had an issue with the nav door not closing and after reading a previous thread of a member experiencing the same thing, I was attempting to fix it. In my search for a new unit, I found out something that I previously didn't know.I was under the impression that having a system equipped with multi electro vision,meant your climate control system panel had the buttons/controls for the nav system located on the unit......that's why I asked the original question( for this thread),but I found out from Sewell that wasn't correct..If your vehicle IS equipped with the multi electro vision system, you can adjust your radio,a/c & other functions directly from the nav screen, as if it was a touch screen monitor.....so does anyone here have this capability ???
Old 09-19-13, 05:57 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by texsexlex
lol...I had an issue with the nav door not closing and after reading a previous thread of a member experiencing the same thing, I was attempting to fix it. In my search for a new unit, I found out something that I previously didn't know.I was under the impression that having a system equipped with multi electro vision,meant your climate control system panel had the buttons/controls for the nav system located on the unit......that's why I asked the original question( for this thread),but I found out from Sewell that wasn't correct..If your vehicle IS equipped with the multi electro vision system, you can adjust your radio,a/c & other functions directly from the nav screen, as if it was a touch screen monitor.....so does anyone here have this capability ???
I am almost positive that this was never in the sc430 I believe they had buttons underneath
Old 09-19-13, 07:12 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Tex is not making much sense.
From what little I know from driving an SC430 since 2001, his recent post suggests the following:
When he talks of the "multi electro vision" our eyes glaze over - this is a recently coined term (2010 or so, although the technology pre-existed the use of the very low informational term) to designate a system in which the touch screen has menus to control not only the NAV but also the heat/AC and often the radio as well. The SC has never had this. The top level NAV buttons are on the dash in a row under the screen - some control the door and the tilt, others call up the menu and the destination screens.
The screen in the SC is a touch screen monitor, but the heat, the AC and the radio are only controlled from their own set of buttons and *****, not from this screen.
So the answer to the question "does anyone here [the SC430 forum] have this [multi electro vision] capability" is no, we do not.
As far as I know.
I may be wrong.
Old 09-19-13, 06:11 PM
fubie
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tex, would you be willing to sell just the display from your old broken one (or is this what broke?) My climate control works fine, but a few of the segments on some numbers quit working, and I'd like to replace just the display.
Old 09-21-13, 05:15 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Originally Posted by fubie
Tex, would you be willing to sell just the display from your old broken one (or is this what broke?) My climate control works fine, but a few of the segments on some numbers quit working, and I'd like to replace just the display.
...my nav screen isn't broke, sorry if I wasn't clear in my question. I was trying to adjust/fix the nav door which had stopped working. In the process of trying to fix that issue, I broke the a/c control panel
Old 09-21-13, 05:47 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Originally Posted by tfischer
Tex is not making much sense.
From what little I know from driving an SC430 since 2001, his recent post suggests the following:
When he talks of the "multi electro vision" our eyes glaze over - this is a recently coined term (2010 or so, although the technology pre-existed the use of the very low informational term) to designate a system in which the touch screen has menus to control not only the NAV but also the heat/AC and often the radio as well. The SC has never had this. The top level NAV buttons are on the dash in a row under the screen - some control the door and the tilt, others call up the menu and the destination screens.
The screen in the SC is a touch screen monitor, but the heat, the AC and the radio are only controlled from their own set of buttons and *****, not from this screen.
So the answer to the question "does anyone here [the SC430 forum] have this [multi electro vision] capability" is no, we do not.
As far as I know.
I may be wrong.
lol...I'm sorry if I'm not making sense...but I agree totally with you & what you stated above. My original question came about, because in my search for a new a/c control panel, some units were listed with "multi electro vision" & some were listed without. I posed the question to the group because I didn't know the difference. I thought it may have had something to do with some of our vehicles being available WITHOUT the nav system. Your answer(above) & Habious both stated what I presumed was the difference.After talking with the company (that I purchase the unit from) they suggested I call Lexus,because there was 2 different units. Steve @ Sewell took my vin # & established that my unit was WITHOUT the "multi electro vision system"......BUT he told me the functions that worked from the nav screen, if your car was equipped with this system. I told him I had never seen/heard of such unit, but it peeked my curiosity...so thats why I asked if anyone here had that capability. Is it possible that the a/c control panel is used in different Lexus models ???...possibly one equipped with it ???...just asking...lol
Old 02-07-14, 01:31 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

On the 2010 model when they updated the stereo to remove the cassette deck, added iPod integration, Sat Radio and the Gen6 Nav, some of the control for the stereo got moved to the touch screen.

That must be the "multi electro vision system".
Attached Thumbnails 2002 AC Climate Control Unit-2010-lexus-sc430-14w.jpg