SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Top Gear's Assessment of the SC-430

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-13, 08:06 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Top Gear's Assessment of the SC-430

Did anyone catch the August 18 or 19th edition of Top Gear carried on BBCA? As a previous owner of an SC-430, I was quite surprised when they announced that the SC-430 was, in their opinion, the World's Worst Car. I always knew that I had owned to be a unique automobile but I always considered it a little closer to the other end of the spectrum and not the lower part

Yes, the car was always underpowered and, yes, the top took forever to raise and lower but I always enjoyed being out in it. Oh, well, opinions are like that special part of the body that we all know and everybody's got one.

Still, my Absolutely Red 2004 was a very nice automobile IMHO.
Old 08-24-13, 09:13 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

I'm guessing that the episode was a repeat from years ago. There is a fairly large thread about it on the forum here. I doubt that you'd find any owner of the SC430 that would agree with the conclusions, let alone Consumer Reports.

There is some thought that when they rated it, they had in mind that the car didn't progress from the original design and maybe that was part of their opinion or that they were expecting a sports car and this isn't a sports car (it is a sporty luxury car). Who knows where his head is/was at when he made those comments, though I think several of us have opinions as to that exact location...

As for the time it takes the top to go up and down, it only takes 24 seconds to go up or down. That really isn't that long especially when you consider all that it has to do to make that happen and do it in a safe manner.
Old 08-24-13, 11:47 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We closed the last thread so we probably don't need further discussion on this. All the members here love their SC ...
Old 08-24-13, 02:09 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
I'm guessing that the episode was a repeat from years ago. There is a fairly large thread about it on the forum here. I doubt that you'd find any owner of the SC430 that would agree with the conclusions, let alone Consumer Reports.

There is some thought that when they rated it, they had in mind that the car didn't progress from the original design and maybe that was part of their opinion or that they were expecting a sports car and this isn't a sports car (it is a sporty luxury car). Who knows where his head is/was at when he made those comments, though I think several of us have opinions as to that exact location...

As for the time it takes the top to go up and down, it only takes 24 seconds to go up or down. That really isn't that long especially when you consider all that it has to do to make that happen and do it in a safe manner.
Sometimes my top goes up or down waiting for the green light, to me its a 3 in 1 car. Sports/ Luxury/ Convertible. Factory built is a balance between the 3, but it can be customized to be more Sporty or smoother luxury car as individual preference. Sc430 is class of its own!
Old 08-24-13, 02:20 PM
V300Graham
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Prasha
Sometimes my top goes up or down waiting for the green light, to me its a 3 in 1 car. Sports/ Luxury/ Convertible. Factory built is a balance between the 3, but it can be customized to be more Sporty or smoother luxury car as individual preference. Sc430 is class of its own!
Yes Prasha, this is bang on the money. It is a multi role vehicle for me.

I can take 4 kids in it for an hour around locally, or drive to Warsaw in it the next day at top speed.
For the money I paid, there is NOTHING to touch it. It's 11 years old now and can still hold its head up high with the best of them.

THE TTE suspension and getting rid of the run flats brought the suspension up 1.5 stars from her lowly 2.5 star out of 5 rating
I would rate her as 4 out of 5 now, I deduct one point because the car gets wildly upset when she is yumped **
Suffice to say I won't be doing that again kinda like meat Loaf "But I won't do that, OH no, but I won't do that...."

**(look it up if you don't know what yumping is)

By the way. Jeremy Clarkson can suck my sweaty unwashed ******** for this comment on our beloved SC430.

Yumping a junction:

Last edited by V300Graham; 08-24-13 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-24-13, 02:57 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by V300Graham
Yes Prasha, this is bang on the money. It is a multi role vehicle for me.

I can take 4 kids in it for an hour around locally, or drive to Warsaw in it the next day at top speed.
For the money I paid, there is NOTHING to touch it. It's 11 years old now and can still hold its head up high with the best of them.

THE TTE suspension and getting rid of the run flats brought the suspension up 1.5 stars from her lowly 2.5 star out of 5 rating
I would rate her as 4 out of 5 now, I deduct one point because the car gets wildly upset when she is yumped **
Suffice to say I won't be doing that again kinda like meat Loaf "But I won't do that, OH no, but I won't do that...."

**(look it up if you don't know what yumping is)

By the way. Jeremy Clarkson can suck my sweaty unwashed ******** for this comment on our beloved SC430.
Sc430 likes to Yump in the 4th gear!, try it next time. I think few 02 sc430 were made 5 speed manual, (sold in Canada?) I wonder if those like to yump ?

Last edited by Prasha; 08-24-13 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-24-13, 05:40 PM
sebtown
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would be fun is if Jeremy and crew would take all the same cars with say 50-60k on them and do the same comparison. I bet his opinion would change.
Old 08-31-13, 05:42 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't believe anything top gear say about the 430sc. I find them to be so full of s*** its a joke. top gear is crap in my thinking.
Old 08-31-13, 09:24 AM
igorxx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Top Gear has put down a lot of great cars in the past. If it doesn't cost at least $ 250,000.00 they don't like it. One of them likes Rolls Royces, the other Porsches, and the third anything with twenty air scoops.
Old 08-31-13, 12:28 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
We closed the last thread so we probably don't need further discussion on this. All the members here love their SC ...
For the love of god, what SlvBullet said.
Old 08-31-13, 01:21 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[IMG]Uploaded with ImageShack.com[/IMG]

Amen brother. Amen.