Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congratulations! Post pics!
Old 08-16-13, 06:35 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats. Please do post pics and share the progress of your car. We're all very interested in seeing how it moves forward, especially since you apparently got quite a bargain.

Best of luck
Old 08-16-13, 07:20 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

We don't know yet whether the low price is a bargain or not, but the early signs look good. In cars as in houses, an item needing work can often be bought for less than its eventual value after the needed repairs and modifications are made. When they are done well and with taste, the work of the buyer is rewarded. Too few buyers these days are willing to invest their time and energy in such a project. Prudent work now could result in a car with a FMV of far more than the $7,000.00 price paid.
Keep us informed, and good luck.
Old 08-16-13, 07:50 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great news, you got it at a great price, all the best with your new ride!
Old 08-17-13, 11:45 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

hitofmiss, congratulations on your acquision. Enjoy. Take some pictures and post. Drop the top and enjoy your drive!
Old 09-20-13, 01:00 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would wrap the roof in black and just repaint the trunk, the rims...you can find a set of the pie plates for like 300 or less on craigs list but to be honest just get a whole new set of different model SC or IS rims or go aftermarket. Congrats on the buy (sorry I know I am a little behind!)
Old 10-19-15, 10:34 AM
hitsofmiss
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update!

After over 2 years of ownership, I've had a very few issues & most were due to regular wear & tear. So far I've:
Within 1st year -
1.) Instead of repairing the 3 * wheels ($600), the lexus dealer offered a customer's recently bought (10,000 miles) Lexus wheels & cheapo Falcon tires for $900 in cash.
2.) Replaced timing belt ($1200)
3.) After a year, the tires started leaking air due to corrosion in the chrome. Lexus did not offer any coverage since it was bought in cash & was after 13 months. Got it fixed by applying silicon bid at local tire shop. ($100)
4.) Though the tires hardly had 20,000 miles (10k + 10k), 3 of them cracked & I replaced it with the previous ones at the same time.
5.) Replaced the break pads. ($600 I think)
6.) Antenna stopped coming out. Using with a temporary solution. (Does not bother me much)

Within 2nd year -

7.) Left front speaker stops intermittently. But not a big issue & doesnot bother me much.
8.) The roof stops after opening about 65%. Or if it is already opened, it does not close after about 35%. However, the problem disappears after a few days & works for a few more times before stopping.
9.) Now almost after 2 years, one of the replaced Lexus wheel started leaking air due to crack inside. ($??)
10.) The tires will need replacement soon (within next 5000 miles).

Anyway, currently 8 & 9 are being looked at Lexus dealership. I still haven't got it repainted since the quote I received were anywhere between $2500-$5000 for the full car. I did not expect almost new Lexus Chrome wheels to start rusting within a year. When Lexus did not took responsibility of selling me a lemon left bad taste in my mouth but it was partly my fault for trusting them & paying them cash.

Overall after $3000 in maintenance repairs over 2 years period, I thoroughly enjoy driving this car. With the top down, it is the best way to unwind after work & a stress buster. Infact I'm in Love with this car. I might have paid a bit higher initially but the experience has been very gratifying.

Last edited by hitsofmiss; 10-19-15 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-19-15, 11:10 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

Always nice to get updates, thanks
Old 10-19-15, 11:12 AM
hitsofmiss
Rookie

Originally Posted by hitsofmiss
After over 2 years of ownership, I've had a very few issues & most were due to regular wear & tear. So far I've:
Within 1st year -
1.) Instead of repairing the 3 * wheels ($600), the lexus dealer offered a customer's recently bought (10,000 miles) Lexus wheels & cheapo Falcon tires for $900 in cash.
2.) Replaced timing belt.
3.) After a year, the tires started leaking air due to corrosion in the chrome. Lexus did not offer any coverage since it was bought in cash & was after 13 months. Got it fixed by applying silicon bid at local tire shop.
4.) Though the tires hardly had 20,000 miles (10k + 10k), 3 of them cracked & I replaced it with the previous ones at the same time.
5.) Replaced all 4 break pads.
6.) Antenna stopped coming out. Using with a temporary solution. (Does not bother me much)

Within 2nd year -

7.) Left front speaker stops intermittently. But not a big issue & doesnot bother me much.
8.) The roof stops after opening about 65%. Or if it is already opened, it does not close after about 35%. However, the problem disappears after a few days & works for a few more times before stopping.
9.) Now almost after 2 years, one of the replaced Lexus wheel started leaking air due to crack inside.
10.) The tires will need replacement soon (within next 5000 miles).

Anyway, currently 8 & 9 are being looked at Lexus dealership. I still haven't got it repainted since the quote I received were anywhere between $2500-$5000 for the full car. I did not expect almost new Lexus Chrome wheels to start rusting within a year. When Lexus did not took responsibility of selling me a lemon left bad taste in my mouth but it was partly my fault for trusting them & paying them cash.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoy driving this car. With the top down, it is the best stress buster to unwind after work. Infact I'm in Love with tis car. I might have paid a bit higher initially but the experience has been very gratifying.
Just got a call from Lexus & they said the roof issue is due to Left Hand Package Tray Motor ($2200). They also said since I'm in it, it would be better to replace the switch which will be additional 2*$1700 = $3400. Though, I don't need it. In any case, I think I'm going to pass. That means, I'll be driving it as a coupe & it's going to be like any other car.

I'm not liking it.
Old 10-19-15, 11:16 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Find the parts used and go to an independent shop.
Old 10-19-15, 11:18 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Just got a call from Lexus & they said the roof issue is due to Left Hand Package Tray Motor ($2200). They also said since I'm in it, it would be better to replace the switch which will be additional 2*$1700 = $3400. Though, I don't need it. In any case, I think I'm going to pass. That means, I'll be driving it as a coupe & it's going to be like any other car.

I'm not liking it.

Current mileage?
Old 10-19-15, 11:21 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Originally Posted by Retroplay
Current mileage?
The op bought it two years ago with 175,000 miles.
Old 10-19-15, 11:25 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
The op bought it two years ago with 175,000 miles.

Yep. Which is why I am wondering what his/her current mileage is.
Old 10-19-15, 11:48 AM
hitsofmiss
Rookie

193,000 miles.
Old 10-19-15, 02:38 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

I'm not liking it.
The motors cost about $250 to $500, depending on the source. Unfortunately, the swap out is not trivial. The shop told me that they had to take out the back seat to get to it. They were expecting the total to be in the $900+ range, but then again, I haven't gotten it back yet either.

If you are handy and have the time, it is definitely a project that you can take on though. (I just don't have any documentation or first hand experience to help you with it though.)

If you can find a reputable, independent Lexus mechanic, you'll wind up saving a fair amount of money. You might also try a Toyota dealer and ask if they can work on the roof. Toyota dealers are typically a fair amount cheaper than Lexus dealers also.

Quick Reply: High mileage & damaged paint, worth it?