SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Help! Dead Rotting Animal in Air Vent System!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-13, 03:33 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I bought the two part kit from sewell It seems that they cant give me a definitive answer as to where you spray the smaller second can of deodorizer into.
The can says into the fresh air intake . Sewell tels me not to spray it into the cowl vents that are just underneath the windshield wipers. They tell me to spray
it into inside air conditioning registers[ vents ] I would really like to know exactly how to use this product any one in our brain truss know the complete step
by step process.
Old 07-29-13, 07:05 PM
Eklectika
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

THANKS...again for everyone's suggestions, links, videos, etc. This has and continues to be an educational process!

HANTAVIRUS...Regarding the possibility of Hantavirus from the rat infestation...only one case in South Florida ever documented ~ so that makes me feel better. However, by the time I read the helpful ***WARNING*** post...I'd already breathed in whatever was floating through the vents. Thus far - no symptoms. Just wish I'd known about this sooner. Oh well.

OZONE...in high concentrations does kill viruses, bacteria, molds, etc., so as stated previously...that is my plan of attack. I've borrowed a friends Ozone Generator.

VACUUMING...out the Air Cabin area did indeed produce 2 more carcasses.

SUGGESTIONS...There's soooooooooooooo many suggestions I'm now second guessing me self! Here are a few links regarding other MY CAR AIR STINKS type "remedies:

A/C CLEANING...Guide for AC cleaning/refreshing https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...efreshing.html

A/C REFRESHER KIT...How the Techs Use It https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...hs-use-it.html

A/C STINKS...fix https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...tinks-fix.html

The carbon Air Cabin Filter I ordered from Ebay arrived. Haven't installed yet. The stink is way, way subdued now. Noticeable but not anywhere near overwhelming. I'm still waiting on the enzyme spray to start step one....should be here any day now. Once I give that a go....I'm going to give my car an ozone treatment...in order to kill all the goobers and get rid of the stink.

BIG HUGS to all that have posted any and all suggestions! I very much appreciate your help.

I'll keep you posted!!!
Old 08-03-13, 05:47 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cjs18
I should have checked. Sorry for the misleading info.
As a follow up to this post the notification I received from Lexus for the passenger air bag recall indicates that the vehicles affected are 2002 through certain 2004 SC 430s. It seems that the crisis has been averted for the OP but I wanted to issue the correction for clarification in case it applies to anyone else who may have read it.
Old 08-03-13, 08:26 PM
Eklectika
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cjs18
As a follow up to this post the notification I received from Lexus for the passenger air bag recall indicates that the vehicles affected are 2002 through certain 2004 SC 430s. It seems that the crisis has been averted for the OP but I wanted to issue the correction for clarification in case it applies to anyone else who may have read it.
Hello! Thanks so much for posting! I will contact Lexus to confirm whether or not my car fits into that category. I appreciate your follow-up posting very much.

*smiles*
Old 10-31-13, 09:20 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

WTH?!?!? I just found a dead mouse in my cabin filter too!!! My car has been sitting in my garage, windows up since I had it checked for the recall in OKC. I got into the car and OMG it was awful! I couldn't track down the smell under seats or under carpets, so I pulled the cabin filter. It was awful! I had my car checked 5 days ago for recall which took two nights at Eskridge Lexus in OKC, and if they ACTUALLY did take apart the glove box they would have seen the mouse head! I know we don't have mice in my garage or house since we use baits and boxes throughout. I'm so angry! Do you think I should call Lexus and complain? How does a mouse even get into the cabin filter?!? I wasn't aware there were any unsecured openings in the air circulation system. This is unbelievable! My stomach is still turning.
Old 10-31-13, 10:16 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

I'd definitely contact the dealer who worked on your car. Hopefully they will man up and take care of the issue.
Old 11-01-13, 04:13 PM
indawire
Driver School Candidate

Good for you! When I got my '02 it smelled like old mouse poop when I turned the fan on. The in cabin filter had a 1/4" thick layer of mouse droppings all over the filter. Took it out, cleaned the inside of the filter housing with a cloth sprayed with Lysol and put in a new filter. Viola, smells as fresh as a springtime alpine meadow. OK, that's an exageration but no more smell.
Old 11-02-13, 07:18 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The real question, and one that I think has been overlooked, is who killed those rat babies? I think we should consult BONES or CSI.

But seriously, I feel for you. I had a bag of baby carrots that fell out of the grocery bag and were in the back seat for several days. It REEKED and took me 2 or 3 weeks before it was gone.

Rats? Oh no. You did very well!

Old 04-22-19, 04:56 AM
1SoonerHos
Driver School Candidate

Default Whats with these mice and the fresh air vent?

This thread was a life saver. We had my 02 SC430 parked in my shop for an extended period of time while we moved. Went to drive it the other day and when we turned on the AC, severe dead animal smell blasting in our face. Immediately parked it, and spent the next 3 hours fixing the problem. After looking all around the engine compartment and taking things apart to get a better look, I decided to consult this forum to see how to take apart the fresh air vent system. After the suggesstions to start with the cabin filter, I did just that and man, found 2 dead mice and a huge pile of nesting material, from what appeared to be part of a moving blanket, heaped up on top of the filter. Used the shop vac to remove it all.

Only way I could see they got in was around the wiper blade arms. Took those off to remove the panel to make sure no more dead ones up by the fresh air intake screens. Cleaned it all out and new cabin filter on order. Need to find a solution to block those openings around the wiper blade arms!

Thanks to all who contribute to these forums!