SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

My new LED DRL's installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-13, 05:05 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I sure can't disagree with those who are opposed to the yellow color of the LED's while they are off considering how they will be displayed so prominently on the ribs of the '02 - '05 models. I'm fortunate in that my '06 allowed me to tuck the LED bars up under the chrome bar and they are barely noticeable when off. I'm sure mandyfig will figure out a mounting method that will look nice.

StillLine
Old 06-30-13, 07:10 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
You are on to something. Maybe it is better to install behind the slits. We shall see.

Quick check reveals that modification on the slits will be needed.

I am getting my LED fogs in today and I will study this option while I am on it.
Update, put in my LED fogs and when investigating for the LED's, can not put behind the slits, there's a cowl that leads to the front tires that diverts air to cool the brakes.

Still studying for a good mounting location.

I have a couple of concepts in mind. When I get my remotes, I will simulate a few styles.
Old 07-01-13, 07:19 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember I think rollaboy writing that he simply spray painted silver his amber turn signal bulbs and the light had no problem going through the thin coat of paint. So that might work on these LEDs - paint a thin coat of your body color or perhaps chrome to hide the yellow. They are plenty bright and should shine through just fine.
Old 07-01-13, 08:01 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
I remember I think rollaboy writing that he simply spray painted silver his amber turn signal bulbs and the light had no problem going through the thin coat of paint. So that might work on these LEDs - paint a thin coat of your body color or perhaps chrome to hide the yellow. They are plenty bright and should shine through just fine.
Mine will stay on pretty much the whole time, day and night. Nobody will see the yellow unless it is off and parked. Like the ability to turn on when you are near the car for security. That alone is worth it.

I would like to be able to add a time delay off on it just in case you forget to turn off since this is hooked up on live battery (not with IGN on). What will I need on this? Experts chime in...
Old 07-01-13, 03:38 PM
mandyfig

The remote relay came in the mail. I am ready to do this LED DIY. I will mock a few concepts.

Yesterday I installed my LED fogs and at the same time studying how to wire the LED Strips, bad day, 1 of the bulbs I bought was DOA, does not want to light up. This was brand new. And since I did not test before I installed, guess what? I had to tear it down to put back the old bulb. and this was the driver side fog light which was 4X harder to install due to the washer reservoir located behind the fog module.

Lesson learned: Test LED bulbs ahead of time. For that matter test all LED bulbs the day you receive them.

I have contacted the seller to see if I can still get some warranty on it.

Back to the LED strips, I will get some concepts mocked up and ya'll let me know...TIA.
Old 07-03-13, 06:41 PM
mandyfig

After an hour of looking at mounting locations, I gave up on this LED on my SC. Unlike the 06 and up which the grille design lends itself to this panel type LED, alas my SC does not.

The LED's are now destined to go to my wife's MX-5. Here's a sneak peak...

Old 07-03-13, 06:42 PM
mandyfig

On to other LED's...
Old 07-04-13, 02:37 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

That looks good on the MX-5 Mandyfig.
Old 07-04-13, 07:49 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
That looks good on the MX-5 Mandyfig.
+1

There are many applications where these particular LED lights will look great. The Miata is one for sure.

Good luck with your search for an application for your SC.

StillLine
Old 07-05-13, 03:59 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
Nice - look great!
Ditto,
Old 07-05-13, 12:10 PM
mandyfig

Thanks StillLine.

I am off to Hobby Lobby to get a translucent gray-brown spray. I will see if I can slightly spray to tone down the yellow.

I have stumbled upon a potential location for the SC, below the bumper. In fact I will simulate soon.

Originally Posted by StillLine
+1

There are many applications where these particular LED lights will look great. The Miata is one for sure.

Good luck with your search for an application for your SC.

StillLine
Old 07-05-13, 03:53 PM
pvong713
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would it be possible to use tint paper? Or would that be to hot for it?
Old 07-05-13, 07:54 PM
mandyfig

Eureka!

After buying a Tamiya Translucent paint (at HobbyTown) to paint over the Yellow LED, in fact after spraying it and actually toning down the yellow (which resulted in diminished lumens and you can actually see the tiny LED's and so I removed the tint using alcohol and it is back to original), I have found a sweet spot for the LED strip by accident, was staring at the grille and I slapped the LED in the back and it found a sweet spot.

See below:

Standing looking at the grille, you will not see the LEDs, that's the plus!

What do you say?

Last edited by mandyfig; 07-05-13 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-05-13, 07:58 PM
mandyfig

Tomorrow I will take daylight shots. I can imagine it will be great. For now I will finish the wiring with the remote. Thanks to StillLine again for the find.

Last edited by mandyfig; 07-05-13 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-05-13, 09:53 PM
mandyfig

Here's a night shot, taken on my iphone, not great but you see the gist.

Quick Reply: My new LED DRL's installed