SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Timing Belt at Dealer should I ask them to change Water Pump too?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-13, 05:34 PM
05SC430PB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Timing Belt at Dealer should I ask them to change Water Pump too?

I have read all of the threads on T-Belt change interval. Time, miles, etc. I have decided to breakdown and spend the money to have the dealer replace the belt. They quoted $899. for the belt and tensioners, etc. My car is a 05 with 43,000 miles.

My question is should I spend the money to have them change out the waterpump at the same time they are changing the timing belt?

I am not sure what they will charge for the part and added work.

Any and all input, feedback would be welcome as my appointment is on Friday.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew
Old 06-18-13, 06:04 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 103 Posts

Absolutely! The water pump is only a $100 part and a common cause of timing belt failure. They shouldn't charge all that much more in labor being as they are already there and have the coolant drained. Might as well replace the thermostat, too.

The best part is no worries for the next 9 years...
Old 06-18-13, 07:12 PM
05SC430PB
Rookie

Default Excellent advice!

Water pump and thermostat will both be on my list.

Thanks!

Andrew
Old 06-18-13, 08:42 PM
lohimike
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Changed my 04 $ runner with 80K on it. Belt looked brand new but my water pump was starting to seep. For Sure do the pump & Thermo!
Old 06-19-13, 02:01 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

While they are at it I would also change the cam seals and crank seal as well as the pulleys.
Old 06-19-13, 04:35 AM
jmezo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why is it assumed a dealer would save you on labor cost if it was done at the same time?

It would be interesting to get a quote for just the water pump and call to get a separate quote just for the timing belt on a different day. Add the quotes together.

I would bet that the they would pocket the labor savings of having the timing belt already removed and charge you labor for both items if you got a quote for doing it at the same time.
Old 06-19-13, 06:47 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

The dealer should ask you about changing the water pump at the same time. My understanding is that is commonly done, as the incremental cost is small, especially compared to the cost of replacing a water pump which will surely fail in the future at some inconvenient time. A good mechanic will always make that suggestion.
Old 06-19-13, 10:39 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

It was an incremental cost when I had it done.
Old 06-19-13, 01:48 PM
05SC430PB
Rookie

Default I just got a quote from the dealer

Timing Belt
Water Pump
Thermostat

$1000. out the door

Is this a good price? I asked about tensioners and was told we do not replace them we just check them. My car has 42,000 miles Does this sound Kosher?
Old 06-19-13, 03:14 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I think you can do better. Others will advise that have shopped this
Old 06-19-13, 03:20 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

The price sounds a little high to me unless the price includes the parts as well. I would recommend changing the tensioners and water pump all at the same time.
Old 06-20-13, 03:26 AM
SC43052
Driver

First, I would avoid that dealer because he was willing to change the belt and tensioner without doing the water pump.

I have never heard of a timing belt breaking on its own, regardless of miles. It is always either the tensioner that breaks or the water pump that seizes and takes out the belt. That is why the belt, tensioner, water pump are so commonly sold in a kit.

Get quotes from local Toyota dealers first who are more than capable of doing the job right. Then look for Lexus indies who can also do a fine job.

That dealer is a real bone-head.
Old 06-20-13, 05:54 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by SC43052
First, I would avoid that dealer because he was willing to change the belt and tensioner without doing the water pump.

I have never heard of a timing belt breaking on its own, regardless of miles. It is always either the tensioner that breaks or the water pump that seizes and takes out the belt. That is why the belt, tensioner, water pump are so commonly sold in a kit.

Get quotes from local Toyota dealers first who are more than capable of doing the job right. Then look for Lexus indies who can also do a fine job.

That dealer is a real bone-head.
I don't disagree that the pump should be changed at the time. However, both the Lexus dealer in Richmond VA and Greensboro NC do not change the pump routinely. Both indicate they inspect the pump and change if needed. So, are they boneheads also. Just Askin!
Old 06-20-13, 08:20 PM
SC43052
Driver

Originally Posted by iolmaster
I don't disagree that the pump should be changed at the time. However, both the Lexus dealer in Richmond VA and Greensboro NC do not change the pump routinely. Both indicate they inspect the pump and change if needed. So, are they boneheads also. Just Askin!
Absolutely. Their stupidity boarders on criminality! Look at the total cost of the belt, tensioner and labor to get into the engine. The additional cost of the water pump and the short time it takes to replace it is a fraction of the total job.

And after a timing belt change the prescribed next time the belt is due to be changed is in another 100K miles. Would anyone in their right mind expect the water pump to last 200K miles? And when the water pump seizes it is guaranteed that the belt will break or be thrown.

If the water pump starts squealing at 150K miles (bearings beginning to fail) of course the dealer will recommend replacing it. The cost will be more than changing the timing belt because the exact amount of labor to get in the engine will be expended and the belt costs less than the water pump.

And what is the risk vs reward? The reward is keeping $110 in your pocket (the cost of the water pump) but the risk is spending $3K to $4K on a valve job because your valves will have an intimate relationship with the piston heads. 40 to 1 odds. If you were starting with a new water pump it might be a fair bet, but starting with a water pump with 100K miles on it already? Pure stupid.

The dealer doesn't mind the risk. Talk is cheap. Ask them to provide a guarantee that if the water pump seizes before the second belt change that cost of the valve job is on them and watch how fast they change the water pump.

Last edited by SC43052; 06-20-13 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-22-13, 10:07 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 05SC430PB
Timing Belt
Water Pump
Thermostat

$1000. out the door

Is this a good price? I asked about tensioners and was told we do not replace them we just check them. My car has 42,000 miles Does this sound Kosher?
That depends on how you look at it. A dealer here in the SF bay area will charge more like $1300.

But the job, for a half decent DIY mechanic is about 5 hours. I can do the belt on my SC400 in 2 hours. That includes, belt, tensioner, idler, water pump, crank and cam sealers.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt at Dealer should I ask them to change Water Pump too?