SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2002 SC 430 ECU skid Control problem

Old 08-28-15, 05:37 PM
emg2919
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I really must be honest when I tell you, at 150k miles things I going to happen. If I made a list you would be amazed at everything I fixed or replaced since I purchased earlier this year with only 63k miles. The car now has 70k miles and it finally runs, drives etc like it should.

These cars are expensive and well built but they have so many things that can and will break.

Nothing against the previous owner but he did not fix things, but I do. I also turn wrenches.

I want to help you but you seem to have many problems showing up at one time.

They are different and seem to be unrelated and I would recommend you take it to a person who can handles the issues properly. I do not want to scare you but believe you may be in for some big expenses.

Have you had this car for a long time?
Thanks BGW. I am finally coming to the realization that this stuff is bound to happen - when it rains, it pours. I have had the car since 2009 - I bought it from my dad, who got it basically brand new (~2000 miles on it). He had it meticulously maintained and documented, as I have been doing.

I think it's just a few of these things happening at the same time, unfortunately. I'm searching for parts now - I am going to order them and then have the dealer install them. Hopefully I can knock these out, one by one. A/C and power steering first, being in Florida and all..
Old 01-08-16, 04:07 PM
dbrunson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

were you able to replace the ecu skid control? is this a DIY project that's fairly easy? I was quoted 3k with 3 hour labor. I can see the ECU and it looks like its only secured by two bolts....looks easy enough but I don't want to pull and find out I need codes to restart the car. Any advice would be appreciated.

'
Old 01-08-16, 04:43 PM
emg2919
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dbrunson
were you able to replace the ecu skid control? is this a DIY project that's fairly easy? I was quoted 3k with 3 hour labor. I can see the ECU and it looks like its only secured by two bolts....looks easy enough but I don't want to pull and find out I need codes to restart the car. Any advice would be appreciated.

'
Yes, I was able to get it sorted. I ordered a replacement ECU off of eBay, and had Lexus install it. They said my current one went bad, which is possible, but I wasn't sure. But, I bought one for 160 bucks, and they installed it for another 200 or so. The install is easy, but the calibration is the difficult part. There are some DIYs for these calibrations, but I could never get it done. I even cleaned my speed sensors as I thought that was the root of the problem, but turns out a new/used ECU was the fix. And the re-calibration seemed to fix it all, knock on wood.

I got lucky. I wouldn't pay the 3k now, I would speak to your service advisor, see if they would install one if you procured one. IF not, then I'd still try the DIY install and re-calbiration before I'd pay the 3k. I feel the 3K is a standard amount, that was quoted to me initially before I was able to work out this solution. Good luck.
Old 01-08-16, 04:50 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by emg2919
Yes, I was able to get it sorted. I ordered a replacement ECU off of eBay, and had Lexus install it. They said my current one went bad, which is possible, but I wasn't sure. But, I bought one for 160 bucks, and they installed it for another 200 or so. The install is easy, but the calibration is the difficult part. There are some DIYs for these calibrations, but I could never get it done. I even cleaned my speed sensors as I thought that was the root of the problem, but turns out a new/used ECU was the fix. And the re-calibration seemed to fix it all, knock on wood.

I got lucky. I wouldn't pay the 3k now, I would speak to your service advisor, see if they would install one if you procured one. IF not, then I'd still try the DIY install and re-calbiration before I'd pay the 3k. I feel the 3K is a standard amount, that was quoted to me initially before I was able to work out this solution. Good luck.
Thanks for that update. Glad you were able to get in fixed with a reasonable amount money.
Old 02-10-21, 05:18 PM
alanc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same issue 3 years ago. Had the skid control ecu replaced, used one. Worked fine until today, same symptoms. Going to buy and install another used one then have shop program it.
Old 05-23-21, 10:41 PM
Trijicon
Driver School Candidate

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey guys, it looks like I'm having the same issue. I just received my skid module from eBay but for some reason I can't find installation/location procedures online. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thank in advance. This is my wife's car and she needs it for work.
The following users liked this post:
fishinmagi (01-18-22)