SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Recall for 02-04 Sc430

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-13, 05:41 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by GregZ1969
OK, I bought my SC used so I guess I'm not gonna get any letters? Did you all buy yours new?
Letters are sent according to DMV records. As long as your registration is up to date you will get something in the mail.

Also, sometimes they send letters in waves on repairs like this. It prevents flooding the dealers with every car out there.
Old 09-12-13, 08:11 PM
GregZ1969
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onepointon
Letters are sent according to DMV records. As long as your registration is up to date you will get something in the mail.

Also, sometimes they send letters in waves on repairs like this. It prevents flooding the dealers with every car out there.
OK thank you. That makes sense. I just bought mine last month.
Old 09-13-13, 05:12 AM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Congrats on your purchase GregZ.... As far as the recalls go......I'm in Indy and the protocol here is to take the SC to the dealer and they'll check to see if the 02 or 03 requires the replacement. Then, they will schedule you to bring in AGAIN to have the work done. As mention earlier I had appointments this week with my 02 & 03 SCs. The 02 requires the change and the 03 does not. So......I have to once again schedule the 02 for the recall. I was advised the dealer has to request the parts. Because of the demand the manufacturer is shipping after they receive the information from the dealer. Not a good way to do it to keep a customer happy, but everyone should get it done.

This is the only recall the SC's have had so really not bad at all. And, I'm happy that Lexus just didn't let it die out as the vehicle is no longer manufactured. In comparison, the IS has had 7 recalls.

Cheers,

lar
Old 09-13-13, 10:33 AM
HumphreySC
Driver School Candidate

Next week I have made an appointment to check whether the repair should be done or not.

I have a 2002 model and it looks like all the 2002 models will need the replacement.......Is this the case?

Last month I got my after market alarm, a parrot carkit, my new leds with wiring and sprintbooster. I will show the technician where to find everything so he vcn take this into account when taking out the whole dashboard.
Old 09-13-13, 02:27 PM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Humphrey, I'm not sure about all 02s have to be done. If that was the case I don't think they would have asked me to bring mine in. I don't know how true it is, but the service manager told me they get reimbursed 4 hours for this work and so far it has taken more than a day per vehicle. I've read about concerns for rattles etc after the work is done however the mechanics doing this have been trained. (I too worry so you're not alone).
Btw, I received my 2nd letter today for the recall. The dealer told me they don't need them anyway. (-:

I don't know about having them do other add-on while they are doing the airbag. Sometimes the dealer don't want to get caught up in another possible problem. ???

One other point to make is they gave me a nice loaner for the total time and kept my car inside in the evenings. They also topped off my tank and didn't wash per my request. (I wash my own)

All I know. Cheers,

Lar
Old 09-14-13, 01:36 AM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The second letter came but I'll wait for 3/4 months before I call a dealer. I like to know about everyone's recall experience. I have been driving for 11+ years with the risk.......no hurry!
Old 09-14-13, 03:57 AM
HumphreySC
Driver School Candidate

1NEAT_SC, thanks for the addional info. That explains why my servicemanager was not very enthusiastic for doing the repair :>

I asked him how high the percentage is of cars that need to be repaired and he told me it is 90%....which is very high....because of this I don't think it is very customer friendly to first let me come to check and after that another appointment to do the repair.

Because of all the mods I have done I first show them everything working and in this way I make them responsible in case something is broke afterwards.

Last month my garage put my 20 inch rims on my car and new coilovers and when I got home i discovered my parking sensors did not function and the alarm was dead.....

They did not know how to solve the problems......
Old 09-16-13, 05:45 AM
RA032023
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just had mine done last week at Alderson in Lubbock. (2003 model). And the job is indeed a day long knuckle buster, wiring pigtails, etc. They did a fine job, no rattles, but the mechanic showed me one in progress and I'm very glad I am not a mechanic for a living!
Old 09-19-13, 12:38 PM
HumphreySC
Driver School Candidate

Today, I went to my Lexus dealer in Amsterdam for a check up and I have to pay them a visit for the second time to do the repair.

According tot the mechanic 93% of all the 2002 and 2003 models need the repair.......

Fortunately I am not he first but the second for this dealership.
Old 09-20-13, 06:18 AM
tofu
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Took my car in the day before yesterday, got a call from dealer about 4hrs later and the rep said that after inspected the airbag and my car does not need replacement but then he said that my car needs timing belt service $1800 plus.
Shoot.... I can get that done somewhere else for around $500 with all the dealer parts installed.
Old 09-20-13, 11:56 AM
HumphreySC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tofu
Took my car in the day before yesterday, got a call from dealer about 4hrs later and the rep said that after inspected the airbag and my car does not need replacement but then he said that my car needs timing belt service $1800 plus.
Shoot.... I can get that done somewhere else for around $500 with all the dealer parts installed.
It looks like you are lucky, because 93% of the cars need a replacement.
Old 09-21-13, 07:57 AM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tofu
Did U take your car after the 2nd notice for the airbag ?
Old 09-22-13, 07:38 AM
tofu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Prasha
Did U take your car after the 2nd notice for the airbag ?
Yes, the 2nd letter came in the mail the week before last week..
Old 09-23-13, 08:44 AM
JoeVinnie
Driver School Candidate

Brought mine in last week for the recall. They said it would take a couple of days. No problem as they gave me a nice new ES 350 as a loaner. They called two days later and said all done.

All seems okay with it.

2002 SC430
Old 09-24-13, 01:14 PM
emg2919
Pit Crew

My 2002 needs the replacement part. I took it in after 1 letter, they gave me a loaner, called me the next day and said that it will take a few days. Called a day after and the passenger airbag also needs to be replaced under warranty, not just the deflator. They wouldnt let me take my car back, so I still have the es350 loaner. Said expected delivery for the airbag is october 2nd.

The ES350 has a full tank and when I dropped off my SC it was less than a quarter tank, so that's fine with me. they said it should be earlier, but I'm not holidng my breath. They have had my car since sept 18th, so we will see.

All for no charge (as it should be). I'm hoping they fill it up with gas when they are finished, would really make a nice gesture.

Quick Reply: Recall for 02-04 Sc430