SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Her name is Vanna Black...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-13, 09:51 PM
GoIowa18
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Her name is Vanna Black...

Vanna White (My work van)'s sexy step-sister.

I have wanted an SC ever since they came out, but at that time I was 20 or so, and there was no way it was happening.

Well, I finally made it happen, and had a couple surprises, but I'm still super excited and am going to enjoy this car to the fullest!

So, here's the story... I found an 04 Black on Black for what I think was a good price, and I had gotten a very short term loan on my last car (06 350z) so I had a few thousand dollars in positive equity, so I went for the SC.

I found this car online from a dealer in Cleveland, and it looked very nice in the pictures and description... (I know, who buys a car without seeing it in person first?!)

So I make the deal, pay for the car, and the guy I am dealing with tells me that the CD player is broken and he has to wait for the new one to come in before I can arrange for transport. I say no problem and actually applaud him for not just sticking me with a broken CD player (which I wont use anyway once I install the SL2U).

So my car gets here today, one day early and I'm stoked so I hurry out to Flying J to meet the driver and he pulls it off of the trailer, and to my surprise when I get in, it looks like the dealership must have let one of their salesmen take it out for a weekend of drinking. AND... the new head unit he ordered for it is in a box on the passenger seat instead of in the dash! But that's not even the best part... the AC / Nav control module looks like a hooker kicked it with her high heel.

Now, I'm not at this time going to say who the dealer is, because I called him and he said the new AC control panel is on it's way to my dealership here and he is very sorry it didn't get fixed before the car got picked up... so we will see if and when it gets here... plus, I'm not here to badmouth, and I am still very excited and feel I got a good deal.

There were a few other things that were wrong such as a broken cup holder, a broken exhaust tip, plus it looks like someone debadged it at one time, and then put the badges back on with frickin' Gorilla Glue. Not to mention the horrifically ugly TRD wheels that were on it which are being changed first thing in the morning.

So, anyway, I will get pictures up tomorrow and hopefully I will learn as much here as I have on every other forum I've joined for other cars I've had in the past!

Last edited by GoIowa18; 06-10-13 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-09-13, 10:08 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats on the SC! I can tell by your post just how excited you are

Oh and by the way, welcome to Club Lexus
Old 06-10-13, 05:18 AM
KBALL
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tough go. Lots of things to be pissed about in that post. Hope they make things right and that at least everything mechanically is in fine shape and no big expensive surprises
Old 06-10-13, 07:50 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

GoIowa, please keep up us updated on this item. We are very interested in seeing how it works out.

Out of curiosity, how many miles are on your 2004 and roughly how much did the car run you? We are all interested in the "real value" of the earlier SC430's nowadays.

Also, how does it compare to the 2006 350Z? I've always been fond of the Z's, but I'm not sure how they stack up against the SC430.

Best of luck and welcome to CL! Share some pics when you get a chance.
Old 06-10-13, 08:39 AM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Good luck with the fixes. Welcome to CL.
Old 06-10-13, 09:06 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Welcome to the club, and too bad about all the damage, but at least they are willing to repair the damages. I'd also be interested in hearing the pros and cons of the SC430 vs 350Z. I always felt that it was one of the SC's main competitors in terms of style, speed, luxury, etc.
Old 06-10-13, 09:59 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Welcome to the club, and too bad about all the damage, but at least they are willing to repair the damages. I'd also be interested in hearing the pros and cons of the SC430 vs 350Z. I always felt that it was one of the SC's main competitors in terms of style, speed, luxury, etc.
My best friend has a 350Z and they're apples and oranges. The 350Z doesn't feel luxurious at all. The interior is mostly plastic. But as far as performance goes, it's much more of a sports car. A better comparison would be the G35. An even better one would be the G37 convertible. Neither is quite as luxurious. But they also are more of a sports car than the SC.
Old 06-10-13, 11:22 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Welcome to CL! Post pics as quick as you can. And lots of luck to you. The SC will give you countless days of smiles.
Old 06-10-13, 12:36 PM
GoIowa18
Driver School Candidate

Hi everyone,

Well, the dealer in Cleveland shipped out the replacements for the damaged parts this morning and sent me a tracking number, so unless I get an empty box, it looks like he is keeping his word.

I got the car with 59k on it for 20 grand. One of my best friends is the GM of our local Toyota dealership and I am also closely connected to some people at our Lexus dealership also, so I have a couple perks. My buddy actually bought the car through his dealership, and sold it to me allowing me to also buy a platinum warranty on it in case of any major problems. My other buddy is going to swap out the head unit and a/c control unit for a case of beer.

Previous posters are correct... there really is no comparing the Z with the SC. The Z is a fun car to drive, but it has no luxury factor. It's bumpy and you feel the road as you should in a sports car. I had a g35 before the Z and it's comparable to the Z but not the SC.

My rim guy can't put my new wheels on until Wednesday so I will have updated pics after that. I'm hoping my detail guy can get those badges off though!

I will definitely keep updates in this thread about how everything plays out!
Old 06-10-13, 03:20 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

lets see some pictures!
Old 06-10-13, 04:45 PM
KBALL
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to have the Lexus and toyota dealership connections
Old 06-10-13, 09:41 PM
GoIowa18
Driver School Candidate

Well, here are the only pictures I have as of now...

[IMG][/IMG]

In a couple days I will post some good pictures after replacing broken parts and getting those god awful wheels changed out.
Attached Thumbnails Her name is Vanna Black...-20130609_230333.jpg  
Old 06-10-13, 10:10 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Wow I can't believe someone could be so destructive and cruel. That's unbelievable.

PS. I sent you a PM regarding you old rims. :-)
Old 06-12-13, 09:15 PM
GoIowa18
Driver School Candidate

A little before/after

Her name is Vanna Black...-photogrid_1371091569409.jpg

My A/C control unit arrived today, I have the replacement head unit, and a new trim piece including cup holder and ashtray is on it's way here also... so pretty soon she will be in a lot better shape!
Old 06-15-13, 12:29 PM
V300Graham
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks lovely in black.

Quick Reply: Her name is Vanna Black...